Electrical power? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Electrical power?

how many watts does the alternator (or stator) put out.. any body know..
looking at electric vests etc and figure it might be an issue.

Thanks
Mitch

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 10:45 AM

I don't know for sure but I hooked up a cig lighter adaptor with a 15 amp inline fuse and mounted it under the seat for cell phone charging in a pinch and it seems to be fine as long as I plug it in and wedge my phone down in the tool storage area and ride with it. If it sits and idles or turned off the phone charger kicks the hell outta the charging system.

post #3 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Owner's manual says .377kw at 5000RPM. This is just over 30 amp, so you should be able to plug quite a bit of hardware in w/out issue.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #4 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Yup 377Watts @ 5000RPM. Depending on what other extra loads you added, 1/3 or 125W should be fine. May want to add a volt meter to make sure it stays >12.3V spec idling in traffic.

post #5 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

919 Lighting specifications

Added lighting specifications link to the Helpful Topics for new 919 owners:

post #6 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 11:27 AM
jnor

I just got back from rideing mine with my electric vest, and heated grips on with no problems.

post #7 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Lots-O-Watts

I rode to work all last week with morning temps in the mid 20's. I use a Widder electric vest, arm warmers and gloves with no problems whatsoever. I made an instrument "panel" that fits above the factory gages and fits in the bubble of my GIVI A755 faring. In that panel I mounted a Powerlet outlet that's powered via a fused line I installed. Alongside, I mounted an Accumen gear indicator. I'll see about getting a pic and posting it here later. It really works great since I can use this outlet for GPS, Phone, etc...

post #8 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I tip my hat to you youngins' that is waaay too cold for me!

post #9 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
I rode to work all last week with morning temps in the mid 20's. I use a Widder electric vest, arm warmers and gloves with no problems whatsoever. I made an instrument "panel" that fits above the factory gages and fits in the bubble of my GIVI A755 faring. In that panel I mounted a Powerlet outlet that's powered via a fused line I installed. Alongside, I mounted an Accumen gear indicator. I'll see about getting a pic and posting it here later. It really works great since I can use this outlet for GPS, Phone, etc...

I have the same givi fairing.. and would love to see a pic of the "panel"

been having idea's along that lines myself..
as to riding in the cold.. it don't stop me much.. but as I get older I enjoy it less.. thus the electrics to keep the enjoyment level up

and thanks to everybody for all your answers.. really helps..
don't know why I couldnt translate the kw to watts earlier..

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #10 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase

Here are a couple of shots taken in haste. I made the panel out of 1/8" sheet aluminum and cut it on a band saw using a cardboard template I'd made. The brackets attaching to the GIVI brackets were trickier. I started off with a piece of wood to get the shape, then took the wood to work and fabricated the shape in aluminum. LOTS of compound angles! The brackets I made have three (3) 8-32 threaded holes each and after I clamped the mess together, I drilled holes (two) in the GIVI bracket as well as the aluminum sheet to position the "panel" where it needed to be.
The front view shows how the Accumen is held. Since it's slightly tapered, I machined a "picture box" out of black plastic, drilled and tapped a series of again, 8-32 holes, then "drew" the plastic piece toward the aluminum using the six button head stainless screws you see throughout.
I did capture the shape of some of this in AutoCAD, so I may post these files if I can dig them up on my work computer.
I can also relate to the colder / older relationship. But with the electrics, it's down to the hassle of all the gear since the cold can really be effectively dealt with using the proper apparel. I also highly recommend a “FOGGY” mask in sub-freezing temps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powerlet.jpg (46.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Powerlet1.jpg (59.6 KB, 82 views)

post #11 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
Yup 377Watts @ 5000RPM. Depending on what other extra loads you added, 1/3 or 125W should be fine. May want to add a volt meter to make sure it stays >12.3V spec idling in traffic.
Where did you get the wattage spec of 1/3 or 125Watts? I'm sure that Honda built in a buffer for some extra loads to be added(I hope) just wondered if it was based off of experience or a specifaction wrote down somewhere.

post #12 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

The total budget wattage and minimum voltage are in the service manual. I listed a conservative wattage accessory load based on experience, and probably still safe at 50%. Too much load would have dire effects on your electrical system. Plus if you ride in the rain protect the wiring so it doesn't short out.

Be sure to have the motor running before turning on high loads. It sucks to short out your battery in the middle of now where. That happened a while back with a full heated suit and detector while getting gas. "can I borrow some jumper cables to jump start my bike?"

post #13 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 04:24 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Boy, howdy. My bike has been in the great room since the middle of September. If it ain't 70 degrees or more, I ain't riding.

20 degrees. The lad is crazy.

post #14 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmears View Post
Boy, howdy. My bike has been in the great room since the middle of September. If it ain't 70 degrees or more, I ain't riding.

When I had my Nighthawk 750 knocked out from under me I was riding home from work. It was 2am and 19 degrees outside. First thing said to me as I lay on the ground was not "Are you ok?" but "What the hell are you doing riding in this weather?!?"

post #15 of 33 Old 11-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Kahuna, you must have been riding through a hurricane!
Once on my 600lb bike I changed two lanes without wanting to.

You guys riding in 20os have huge cahones and inspire me! I'm going to search for heated vests.

post #16 of 33 Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase

semi grey, where did you get that panel from or did it come with the power outlet? That is a really nice job you did.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #17 of 33 Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
I rode to work all last week with morning temps in the mid 20's. ....
Um.. get a car bro! Brrrr!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #18 of 33 Old 11-06-2006, 04:21 PM
DaveCB919F4

Vintage air makes a A/C-Heater unit you could hook up . With that and a moon suit you could be comfortable year round. Or drive the cage.

post #19 of 33 Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thank you very much for the pics.. like I said been thinking about that..
just hadnt come up with a way of doing it neatly.. the job you did there has given me ideas I can work with..

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #20 of 33 Old 11-07-2006, 04:07 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Hang on a sec...you live in TX, right? And you need the vest because...?

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #21 of 33 Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

yes in TX... because it gets cold.... below freezing is not unheard of.. and it's ussaly a wet cold.. and rather then park the bike for a couple months.. plus if you've noticed.. motorcycles have wheels on em.. and mine isn't always in Texas.. I don't like my trips limited due to temps..

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #22 of 33 Old 11-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseknight View Post
plus if you've noticed.. motorcycles have wheels on em...
IS that what those round thingy's are??

post #23 of 33 Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmears View Post

whats so great about YOUR room ? huh.. I think my room is better.

post #24 of 33 Old 11-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

power distribution

Today I installed the 6 line distributor and grounding disk under the seat from
http://www.electricalconnection.com

I like that it allows you to set different fuse limits for all accessories and is power relay enabled and master fuse protected. First I wired the stebel horn in, nexy plan on adding a sealed accessory socket, jacket and gloves. I may need to turn the heaters off before using the air-horn.

post #25 of 33 Old 11-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Quote:
Today I installed the 6 line distributor and grounding disk under the seat from
http://www.electricalconnection.com

I like that it allows you to set different fuse limits for all accessories and is power relay enabled and master fuse protected. First I wired the stebel horn in, nexy plan on adding a sealed accessory socket, jacket and gloves. I may need to turn the heaters off before using the air-horn.
Dream,

Where did you mount the distributor? I have my autocom in the space on the left side under the seat. I'm looking for a place to mount one of these myself.

Thanks.

Ranger919er

Terrorism is a disease. Rangers are the cure.
post #26 of 33 Old 11-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Ranger,

Unfortunately you picked prime realestate for the Autocom.
I've read those are great (sound quality/noise canceling), but I am looking for a TBD compact blue tooth version (any suggestions?). You can free up space putting your "wireless" tool bag in the tank bag?

I mounted the ground disk and fuse panel on the left side and stuffed the new two horn/panel relays taped and padded on the right side above the main. I ran the wires under the frame top, so the seat doesn't rub them. I wired the panel mains directly to the battery, solder tapped (stripped insulation but not cut) the ignition relay of the PC red wire. One gripe with the panel, it doesn't come with a cover to protect the fuses from moisture/breaking; their service response "we never had a problem", Famous last words! Be careful to mount it securely so it doesn't spark off the ground disk and place it high in the pocket so moisture cannot puddle on it.

The line panel is a good way to add current devices. The stock battery is small, so watch the average/peak watt load ratings or always park at the top of hills.

post #27 of 33 Old 11-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

A couple device/wiring tips. The light duty velcro included for the PC, power distributor, and ground pad was worthless as the devices kept moving. I remounted them (PC to the frame top) with industrial velcro. The seat's vertical supports were piercing the stock fuse side outer wires/relays, so I pulled the buddle snug with double sided velcro wrap to provide clearance. I left guide wires under the tank and beam to make it quick to route new wires.

post #28 of 33 Old 11-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Tired of Tirone

Riding, no forget that - Living in that kind of temperature range is crazy. I get a chill when it drops into the 70's. I'd invite you all to move down here to Florida but we really are out of room. Now if you want to talk about riding in hurricane conditions or rain so heavy you can't see, I'm the one to talk to.

post #29 of 33 Old 11-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Ranger,

Here is a picture of the power distribution panel and ground disk on the left side, and the power relays, DC converter on the right. Still have slots for heat and the TBD blue tooth com mixer.

post #30 of 33 Old 11-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Quote:
Ranger,

Here is a picture of the power distribution panel and ground disk on the left side, and the power relays, DC converter on the right. Still have slots for heat and the TBD blue tooth com mixer.
Thanks for the photo. That gives me some ideas to move some stuff around.

WIth the PC3 sitting on the frame, how do you keep the seat from squishing it? How mush space is there between the top of the frame and the bottom of the seat?

Thanks.

Ranger919er

Terrorism is a disease. Rangers are the cure.
post #31 of 33 Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Hi Ranger,

Mounting the PC perpendicular to the frame: there is plenty of vertical/side-side clearance, but forward and aft requires careful measuring and positioning with ~1/2" margin. To maximize margin I trimmed the seat's plastic tabs (manual fingers), and leveled it by partially trimming 1/4" off the left side tool rail. Be careful not to let the PC's wire loom get compressed by the forward seat pad. I will tie it down. There are seat support prongs up front that need to clear the left side ground pad and right side relays/wires.

Now it's easy to safely add gizmos!

post #32 of 33 Old 11-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Hi Ranger,

Ahem, I measure again. The forward aft perpendicular PC has 1.5" margin to the seat grooves for placement. This is good since the seat needs to slide forward under the side rails. The vertical height margin given the seat's forward rubber bumper squeezed under load is tightest at ~<1/4". So no room to stack your autocom on the PC.

post #33 of 33 Old 11-12-2006, 05:11 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

"whats so great about YOUR room ? huh.. I think my room is better."

My room is great 'cause it is adorned by my 919! As an aside, we be looking to move to Eastern Tennessee (Deal's Gap area, yeah, buddy!) because the weather in Cleveland is pathetic. Global warming, my a**.

Okay, how do you post pics? I'll post images of my bike, and how I mounted my PC.

I want more HP.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode