Ducati Hypermotard and the like.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Resident Viper Driver

Ducati Hypermotard and the like....

Seems to me there are more and more of these dirt bike looking sport bikes on the market....my question is why? Am I missing something? Can you put a set of dirtbike tires on them and take them off road?

It's hard to be humble at 9 G's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I don't get it either

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

try it. Find someone who'll let you rip around on their motard. You're seeing more of them because people are figuring out just how much fun they are.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919jockey View Post
Seems to me there are more and more of these dirt bike looking sport bikes on the market....my question is why? Am I missing something? Can you put a set of dirtbike tires on them and take them off road?

Moreso, people are taking dirtbikes and putting street tires on them and finding out they rip on track or thru the twisties. Decent power, no ground clearance problems, light weight and good suspension make for a backroad vehicle that can be tough to contend with. The manufacturers are just creating them out of the box.

I ran my buddies 450 motard for a couple of sessions at Jennings. The thing was a hoot on that track.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

i have 4 trackdays next month at Jennings on the KTM, can't wait to back it in setting up for turn 8 & 9.

post #6 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919jockey View Post

Yep, your missing out quite a bit ! Fun,fun, fun ! Your get all the rush of going flat out on a big bike, but, your on a smaller bike . 100 on a Super Motard feels like going 160 on a bigger bike - Should you ever get the chnace to try one of these styled bikes out, go for it !

As a matter fo fact, Ducatis demo fleet is going to be in Greensboro, NC tis weekend, so, Im sure thye will have a stop somewhere close to you sometime -

post #7 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Mmmmm Supermoto! My next bike most likely will be a Supermoto. Not to mention the engines have unlimited upgrade part available also! You can have it stroked, high comp piston and a big bore in it over night (provided you have all the parts in hand).

post #8 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

sexy beast attached....

Ducati Hyper Fighter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duchyperfight.jpg (154.7 KB, 52 views)

post #9 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

hmmm, looks a lot like the Tesi

post #10 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 03:54 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

mmmmmmmmm

post #11 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Someone please explain the steering concept on display here HTF does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARROSART View Post
hmmm, looks a lot like the Tesi

post #12 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

It's really quite simple ... well ... okay, maybe not.

Quote:
2000TJ:
Someone please explain the steering concept on display here HTF does it work?
The tesi is a pretty much typical hub center steering setup with an added rake control.

The heart of the system is the hub, which holds the quite large front wheel bearings on the outside and the steering / torque link on the inside. The brake / steering flanges are made as one piece with the hub center, which is split in the center and cross bolted for ease of assembly.

The axle, which is keyed to the steering / torque link and the brake / rake link arm, is free to rotate in bearings in the end of the swingarm, transmitting braking force from the brake and steering flanges through the steering / torque link to the axle, to the brake / rake link arm to the frame. Brake dive is controlled by the position of the brake / rake link attachment to the frame.

Steering is controlled by the steering link attached to an arm bolted to the brake and steering flange at one end and the bellcrank actuated by links to the handlebars on the other. The wheel is free to pivot on the steering / torque link in one axis only. Think of the steering / torque link as a basic universal joint.

The swingarm has to be made comparatively wide to provide a modicum of steering lock, but there isn't very much.

There you have it.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Great explanation Rob, now the next question is WHY? What's the advantage of that setup?

post #14 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Centurion

Less dive under braking is one.

Yamaha even had one of these...

post #15 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Better controlled brake dive, the ability to mount the engine closer to the front wheel (particularly important with the Ducati motor), and better suspension compliance under braking. There were complications due to the very high loadings on the steering / torque link under braking, offset loads into the chassis requiring a beefier main frame, the very limited steering lock, and the tendency to ground the swingarm during high lean angles, invariably causing a crash. Despite lots of effort on the part of ELF in 500 GP this was its greatest deficiency. That and nonlinear and somewhat vague steering feel from the various links in the system.

The RADD / Parker system used by Yamaha addressed some of these problems, but Yamaha built everything too heavy, something James Parker complained bitterly about during one of our conversations. He would have preferred a pure sportbike setup, which is, in fact, exactly what he gave them. But the lawyers got a hold of it, and the rest is a very short history.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #16 of 16 Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Big ujoint with with a rubber tire wrapperd around one pair of ends... I do believe i've got it.

Thanks ROB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode