Ducati Hypermotard and Other Bikes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
PB

Ducati Hypermotard and Other Bikes

This weekend I went to several dealerships with a friend who is in the market for a new bike. There was a Yamaha demo day going on and I got to ride a couple there as well then went to other dealers to ride a Triumph Thruxton, Ducati Monster 1200, and a Hypermotard SP. Thoughts on those other bikes are below, but first I need to share about the Hypermotard SP.

That thing was a blast. It's 821cc, weighs 430lbs wet, and was just so much fun to ride. The suspension was incredible and the bike was so flickable and nimble. I rode a 2015 with 800 miles on it and the dealer was asking $13k. I imagine I could get that price down $500 or so since they have a lot of used stock and I'm really considering picking it up. It's got Marzocchi forks, Ohlins rear, and these gorgeous forged aluminum wheels...I'm in love. Does anyone have one of these or have experience riding it? I'm not going to highway this thing, but for in town riding, I don't think there's anything that can match it. Plus, that seat height is great for taller riders.

Here's the other bikes I rode and the short takes:

XSR900 - Beautiful to look at, very nice suspension, and definitely living up to the reviews. Engine gets pretty buzzy at higher revs and it feels kind of cheap. Overall, it's not different enough of a riding experience to make me consider changing from the 919.

FZ09 - Similar to the XSR (since they share a lot) but less refined. I consider this and the XSR to be nice updates on the 919 formula. They're narrower, which is nice, but they don't feel as well put together as the 919, if that makes sense. Among other things, the turn indicators flop all over the place and look like they're going to fall off. Where the 919 is all metal and aluminum, the FZs and XSR are plastic.

FZ07 - If you want something that's really light and fun, but not as down on power as a 250-300, this is the naked for you.

Thruxton - The seating position isn't as aggressive as you think it would be with the clip ons. The new 1200 twin is a gem and Triumph has really done a great job making a bike that feels premium. Granted, it is a $16k bike, so it should feel that way, but I really like the changes to the 2016 relative to the old models. The liquid cooling makes a huge difference.

Monster 1200 - That thing is fast and goodness does it make a sweet noise. Seating position isn't as cramped as I remembered and the electronics on it are great. Suspension wasn't bad, but was noticeably less composed than the Hyper. Think of it as the 919s sexy Italian cousin.

After all this, I'm still having thoughts about that Hypermotard. I'm going to run the numbers this week and see if I can talk myself out of getting it. If I fail, I'll be posting pictures in 2 weeks max...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 10:13 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

From what I have heard, Ducati are a great bike to ride, but not great to own. They're like those smoking hot Italian girls that seem perfect, but always come with little problems here and there. E. G. Little screws come lose and fall out, software problems. Just little annoying things you wouldn't expect from such a quality bike. And at least from what I've heard, every time you try to complain to Ducati about some kind of failure your bike has, they laugh at you and tell you that you don't know how to ride and its your fault. I guess that's part of owning something Italian.

But yeah, that hypermotard is hot as hell and id probably still get it regardless if I could.

If I was going to get a supermoto bike, I would go with the ktm 690 supermoto. 300 pounds....

Too bad I'm 5 foot 4 and I'll never be able to fully enjoy a supermoto. Tested a drz 400 the other day and that was not happening

post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 12:20 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

It is a real luxury to have two bikes. For me it's an around town and hot weather bike (the 919) and a highway, cool weather bike (a VFR).
Consider that the Hypermotard may be pretty hot on a hot day. But it may not be too bad. If you are planning on up-north trips the 919 may not be the best second second bike to do that. So if you buy the Ducati you may soon be looking for a replacement for the 919...
Also do the insurance comparison - if that is a factor.

Take care

post #4 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Princeps Prior

Thanks for the reviews. I've been looking at the Multistrada as a possible next bike myself.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
From what I have heard, Ducati are a great bike to ride, but not great to own. They're like those smoking hot Italian girls that seem perfect, but always come with little problems here and there. E. G. Little screws come lose and fall out, software problems. Just little annoying things you wouldn't expect from such a quality bike. And at least from what I've heard, every time you try to complain to Ducati about some kind of failure your bike has, they laugh at you and tell you that you don't know how to ride and its your fault. I guess that's part of owning something Italian.

But yeah, that hypermotard is hot as hell and id probably still get it regardless if I could.

If I was going to get a supermoto bike, I would go with the ktm 690 supermoto. 300 pounds....

Too bad I'm 5 foot 4 and I'll never be able to fully enjoy a supermoto. Tested a drz 400 the other day and that was not happening
I was also concerned about the maintenance cost, but have been reassured by the long term maintenance reviews I've read and the owners manual that newer Ducatis are actually in line with other manufacturers. For instance, valve checking / adjustment is every 18,000 miles and other minor checks are every 9,000 miles. Most of the 9,000 mile checks are simple fluid / lubrication things you'd do with any motorcycle.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB_ESQ View Post
This weekend I went to several dealerships with a friend who is in the market for a new bike. There was a Yamaha demo day going on and I got to ride a couple there as well then went to other dealers to ride a Triumph Thruxton, Ducati Monster 1200, and a Hypermotard SP. Thoughts on those other bikes are below, but first I need to share about the Hypermotard SP.

That thing was a blast. It's 821cc, weighs 430lbs wet, and was just so much fun to ride. The suspension was incredible and the bike was so flickable and nimble. I rode a 2015 with 800 miles on it and the dealer was asking $13k. I imagine I could get that price down $500 or so since they have a lot of used stock and I'm really considering picking it up. It's got Marzocchi forks, Ohlins rear, and these gorgeous forged aluminum wheels...I'm in love. Does anyone have one of these or have experience riding it? I'm not going to highway this thing, but for in town riding, I don't think there's anything that can match it. Plus, that seat height is great for taller riders.

After all this, I'm still having thoughts about that Hypermotard. I'm going to run the numbers this week and see if I can talk myself out of getting it. If I fail, I'll be posting pictures in 2 weeks max...
So, What was the decision? Are you a Ducati owner?

post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
PB

I got an insurance quote and that did me in. Currently on the 919, I have comprehensive without collision, 250k/500k BI, 100k property damage, and 100k/300k uninsured and it costs me $430 to insure the bike from April through October. The same coverage on the Ducati would cost me $2300. Everything is 3x more expensive and the comprehensive coverage is $1750. I could roll without the comprehensive and that would bring it down to $500, which I could wrap my head around, but I need to get a garage first. Until that happens, I'll just have to lust after that Hyper.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

That's a bummer but I understand it. The insurance quote took a (preferred) GSXR-750 out of the picture for me a few years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode