Draining Fuel Tank - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Draining Fuel Tank

I drained my fuel tank today for the overseas move. I was able to siphon off most of the gas leaving the tank mostly empty. I took off the fuel return line to get even more out, but there was still gas left in it after that. I ended up taking the tank off and getting the rest out of the filler neck.

There has to be an easier way to do this...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Discen

I kind of doubt it. There is no way to get all the fuel out using the lines. Probably removing the tank at the start would have made life easier.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
919>food>beer

yeah its a pita to get everything out... one way would be with a vacuum siphon like a mity vac with a large air tight container t'd in the middle

post #4 of 11 Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I typically pull the line off that feeds the injectors, then hook up 12v to the pump and let it do most of the work, then remove the tank, place it over a drain pan and remove the pump. PITA yes.. but I don't have all the nifty tools mentioned previously.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 PM
919>food>beer

thats how I did it last time, unfortunately I didn't have my nifty mity vac at the time, It would made life a lot easier and cleaner

post #6 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Pilus Posterior

You could always ride it dry (the bike that is ).

How long is it in storage for?

I ask as unless it is a long time I'd be more inclined to leave it full with a cup of meths added to the mix. Otherwise unless you poor in some light weight oil and swish it around to coat the insides of the tank I'd be concerned over rust developing in a empty tank.

But I may be wrong about this.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 06:16 AM
CG

Vacuuming gasoline sound like a Darwinism experiment to me............

I did as suggested above after running fuel low to start. I pulled injector feed line off, put it into a can, turned on the key. Pump does most of the work. You have to repeat becasue the pump only runs a few seconds but as long as fuel is low to start, not too bad.

Then, I blew air through the tank to dry out the residual fuel, outdoors. No electric motors anywhere close to the fumes................

Safety first..........

post #8 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Bike is going overseas, so tank has to be dry. After I siphoned as much as I could, I ran it till it died. It still left about 1/4 gallon (maybe) in the tank. The fuel return line got about half of that out and removing the tank allowed me to get the rest.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
You could always ride it dry (the bike that is ).

How long is it in storage for?

I ask as unless it is a long time I'd be more inclined to leave it full with a cup of meths added to the mix. Otherwise unless you poor in some light weight oil and swish it around to coat the insides of the tank I'd be concerned over rust developing in a empty tank.

But I may be wrong about this.
Could be from 1-4 months. What kind of oil should I use, just regular motor oil? Bike will be in a sealed crate, but will travel on a ship.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
I'd be concerned over rust developing in a empty tank.
I thought I read that rusting in these tanks wasn't an issue anymore - something about material it's lined with, or coated or something? Maybe not?

post #11 of 11 Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 PM
919>food>beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
Vacuuming gasoline sound like a Darwinism experiment to me............

I did as suggested above after running fuel low to start. I pulled injector feed line off, put it into a can, turned on the key. Pump does most of the work. You have to repeat becasue the pump only runs a few seconds but as long as fuel is low to start, not too bad.

Then, I blew air through the tank to dry out the residual fuel, outdoors. No electric motors anywhere close to the fumes................

Safety first..........
if you are referring to me.. i never said any thing about an electric vacuum... the mity vac is a hand held vacuum used to draw a siphon most of the time. It is commonly used to draw vacuum on brake lines, but could be used to draw a siphon on the gas and then removed letting nature run its course...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode