Drag racing cb900?? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Drag racing cb900??

Hi guys, I'm new here. In the process of building a Jr. Comp dragster for my 14 yr old daughter. Picked up a low mile cb900, 2004 engine and wondering if there was anyone familiar with drag racing parts for this motor. It eventually will run blown alky (we run a blown funny car), but for her first year it will stay stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

not too many hotrod parts for this motor. hate to say it, but you may have been better off getting a bigbore Kawi motor like the zx12r. Tons of guys dragrace those things.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda Addict

The 919 makes a good drag bike with what it has to offer in stock form. Has the torque to get off the line and on down the track real quick like. The stock gearing is more low end than most. I remember talking to the sales guy I bought it from - asked him about chain life and he asked me how often I intended to take it to the drag strip. It ain't no top of the line powerhouse but it sure get's there quick which is what drag racing is all about - right?

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Honda Addict

Hell, if ya really want to be impressed at the strip for minimum $, just put a 15t front sprocket on it and let 'er rip!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2007, 12:03 AM

what is the weight of the dragster she will be running?

also what type of gear ratio for your final drive are you planning on?

I can tell you the BIKE itself weighs close to 600 lbs with me on it and I ran 11 seconds +/- ... a few passes under 11 and a few a little over. With changes to the ratio's of the final drive and the fact that its a car and not as prone to wheelie on launch the motor should be capable of 9-10 seconds. I remember bucky a guy from alaska on a stock motor was high 9's or so with nothing but an extended swingarm so he could let it fly on green.

There are actually a few serious mods for the 919 engine depending on your budget... wiseco makes a 970cc high compression kit, I think someone had developed cams with the pulse sensor on them... you could probably machine the head without issue... depending on your budget the 919 has the same block and shares alot of its design with the bulletproof and very modifyable cbr900rr of late.

really interested in your project .... good luck to ya.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonblue919 View Post
what is the weight of the dragster she will be running?

also what type of gear ratio for your final drive are you planning on?

I can tell you the BIKE itself weighs close to 600 lbs with me on it and I ran 11 seconds +/- ... a few passes under 11 and a few a little over. With changes to the ratio's of the final drive and the fact that its a car and not as prone to wheelie on launch the motor should be capable of 9-10 seconds. I remember bucky a guy from alaska on a stock motor was high 9's or so with nothing but an extended swingarm so he could let it fly on green.

There are actually a few serious mods for the 919 engine depending on your budget... wiseco makes a 970cc high compression kit, I think someone had developed cams with the pulse sensor on them... you could probably machine the head without issue... depending on your budget the 919 has the same block and shares alot of its design with the bulletproof and very modifyable cbr900rr of late.

really interested in your project .... good luck to ya.
Bucky had a 10.73 without nitrous and a 10.53 with last I heard.

No way the race track will allow a junior dragster with that much engine. Junior drags are very regulated. I would recommend looking at what they allow.

Edit: I should note I am guessing. Maybe I am wrong?

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Junior comp dragster

Typhoon,
havent decided on final drive yet. We originally planned to find a zx or gsxr motor, but got this one REAL cheap and it is a complete deal with injection and wiring etc. Plans are to upgrade the clutch and leave it pretty much stock for the 1st half season. Car will weigh 520 or so empty. The kid weighs 120lbs. Eventually of course we will want to go faster and from the sounds of it will have to change over to the zx or gsxr. I'm a blown alky guy, so somewhere along the line there is a small supercharger waiting to find its way on top of this thing. There isnt much benefit to switching to alky without the blower due to the low (relatively speaking) compression of these motors.

Motcycho I would like to get her in the 6.90 range in the 1/8 mile next year. NHRA has a new class called Jr. comp. It is designed around motorcycle powered cars for 14 to 18 year old kids. 1/8 mile only. Cars have to be certified for 7.50 1/4 mile et. They can be run by anyone in super pro also. There are quite a few being built and a number already racing in brackets. Check out www.motorcycledragsters.com http://www.motorcycledragsters.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode