Doing my own maintenance advice. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Newfie

Doing my own maintenance advice.

I have an 06 919 and for the first 36k miles had the "gold" card service which meant honda did all my work for free. I am approaching 40k and was looking to possibly do the work myself. I will consult the manual for what needs checking but was wondering if there are any recomendations for oil/anti-freeze filters etc.. other than the honda brands. I also need to tighten my chain up as well.

Thx all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb63 View Post
...was wondering if there are any recomendations for oil/anti-freeze filters etc.. other than the honda brands...

j/k, although I have a feeling this thread will be flaming in no time (no, RC90, not that kind of flaming...).

Personally, I use Mobil 1's M-110 oil filter. I use Valvoline moto oil that I buy at Advance Auto. Just changed the plugs at 16,000 miles. Buy yourself the Honda spark plug tool. It's the easiest way to get the #3 plug. I imagine you won't have to worry about that for a while, though. Just changed the brake pads, too, on the front and back. Pc of cake to change out. Go with Honda's OEM pads.

Just follow the manual schedule and you'll be fine. Others with much more experience will chime in soon. Coming from someone who at first was afraid to even loosen the tank, there is nothing on this bike that can't be maintained by you and all the excellent folks here at WT.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #3 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

well... i have been using rotella synthetic 5w-40 after reading several good reports about it from guys on here...

i have to report its good stuff and the price is nice...

post #4 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Optio

+1 on Rotella. Cheap at Wal-Mart.

post #5 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 04:39 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I run the Purolator oil filters. I was using the automotive filter that fits but I'm trying the new Purolator motorcycle filters at my next oil change. I'd use a Honda filter, but I'm just cheap and these get great reviews.

I use the recommended Honda GN4 oil. Honda uses this and will warranty a bike so it's good enough for me.

The chain needs to be cleaned and oiled ever 300 - 500 miles. I usually check the slack and adjust it about every 1000 miles. To adjust it, just loosen the axle (22mm and 27 mm) a little and use an 8 mm socket to adjust it. Adjust in small increments. use the string method or something similar to check alignment.

The String Method (How I do it):
- Raise the rear of the bike with either a center stand or rear stand
- get a long string (maybe 15 - 20 ft). I use a nylon string
- Find the middle of the string and tape it to the center of the tire at about the 4:00 position (looking from the left side of bike...front will be to your left.)
- Run the ends of the string up each side of the bike so that it just barely touches the front edge of the tire (make sure it is long enough to go past the front tire)
- straighten up the bars
- Check the gap on each side between the front tire and string
- When the gaps are the same, you are aligned properly. I just eyeball it.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Newfie

Where can I get the Mobil oil filter at?

post #7 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

This thread https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...19-owners.html

and the search function are your friends. Enjoy!

post #8 of 21 Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Discen

Not sure how readily available the Mobil1 filters are in your area, but the Purolator filters for the 919 are 10.54 for a 2pk at Amazon.com. That's less than price ($12) of one Mobil 1 filter in the auto parts stores here.

Purolator ML16817...only $1 more for a pair than the ugly yellow automotive filters (PL14610) that are the same size. Many people (including myself) have used the PL's for a while. I used them when they were blue. Not nearly as bad looking as the yellow ones, but I am also switching to the moto-specific model.

Amazon.com: ML16817: Automotive

2006 Honda 919
post #9 of 21 Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Newfie

I found both the mobil 1 110 filter and the Rotella T 5w40 synthetic at an Autozone for $35 taxes included. My local Honda dealer offers the Gn4, filter and gasket(?) for $39 plus taxes. Does anyone know if the Rotella/Mobil is as good or better than the honda supplies?

post #10 of 21 Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Rotella/Mobil is as good or better than the honda supplies?
I wish I could remember where I got the info on the Mobil 1. It's somewhere on this site, but I looked at it when I first joined two years ago. I remember reading that the M1 scored pretty high on some study somewhere--I don't recall if the Honda filter was part of the comparison. Don't really know if it's true, but I think as long as there is some kind of filtering media, you'll be ok. I picked the Mobil 1 because it was twice as big as the OEM. Does that make a difference? Don't know, but I do sleep much better. LOL I'd venture a guess that most oil filters probably come from the same place, just different paint jobs.

Spoiler:

post #11 of 21 Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Newfie

Sounds good enough to me.

I read mikes page and I feel confident that I can perform all of the relatively major maintenance myself.

8k more miles though is the dreaded "valve" check.. may need some help from you guys there...

post #12 of 21 Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase

Do you have the shop manual for the bike? If not, that's about $65 well-spent.

Plenty of help here, too. No worries!

Spoiler:

post #13 of 21 Old 10-07-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Newfie

I have the PDF on my laptop.

post #14 of 21 Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
I wish I could remember where I got the info on the Mobil 1. It's somewhere on this site, but I looked at it when I first joined two years ago. I remember reading that the M1 scored pretty high on some study somewhere--I don't recall if the Honda filter was part of the comparison. Don't really know if it's true, but I think as long as there is some kind of filtering media, you'll be ok. I picked the Mobil 1 because it was twice as big as the OEM. Does that make a difference? Don't know, but I do sleep much better. LOL I'd venture a guess that most oil filters probably come from the same place, just different paint jobs.
Maybe you read about it here. Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

He posted the Purolator comment

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-12-2009, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Newfie

Well I went ahead and got the Mobil filter and Rotella oil. I had to go buy a oil filter wrench cuz the honda filter seemed like it was welded on. I drained the oil, replaced filter and then proceeded to pour a gallon of rotella through the motor and back into the drain pan... UGH... Went to Advance auto and got another gallon. This time I put the oil plug in and TADA! Runs great! I can't believe how solid she shifts! I also got my hands dirty by adjusting and cleaning the chain and added a half a liter of water.

Next is gonna be changing the brake pads! I think that should be real easy.

Now I feel kinda dumb for paying Honda that $1100 dollars to have to go and wait 3 hrs every time I had something done there.

I am converted!

post #16 of 21 Old 10-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

That's a WTH moment when you're pouring in oil and you hear something underneath. Hopefully you still had the drain pan there to catch it. Good job getting your hands dirty and not getting fingerprints on your wallet.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #17 of 21 Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Newfie

I did still have the pan underneath with the drain plug in it. I couldn't hear anything due to having the t.v on in the garage.

post #18 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 AM
TACOS ROCK!!!

also try a swanson chiken pie pan underneath oil filter when you unscrew oil filter saves a little clean up. i hate stopping at a intersection and smoke is pouring off the header

Wheelie's Happen !
post #19 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Remmber running the chain a little loose is better than running too tight. I check the slack while i'm sitting on it if its got no slack then it's too tight.

post #20 of 21 Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Tirone

where did you add the half liter of water,if its coolant that sounds awfull low,hope you mixed it with antifreeze.

post #21 of 21 Old 10-23-2009, 07:18 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Well I went ahead and got the Mobil filter and Rotella oil. I had to go buy a oil filter wrench cuz the honda filter seemed like it was welded on. I drained the oil, replaced filter and then proceeded to pour a gallon of rotella through the motor and back into the drain pan... UGH... Went to Advance auto and got another gallon. This time I put the oil plug in and TADA! Runs great! I can't believe how solid she shifts! I also got my hands dirty by adjusting and cleaning the chain and added a half a liter of water.

Next is gonna be changing the brake pads! I think that should be real easy.

Now I feel kinda dumb for paying Honda that $1100 dollars to have to go and wait 3 hrs every time I had something done there.

I am converted!
From another thread:

At every basic service/oil change I would:
  • Drain vent tube(s)
  • Check brake fluid/fill if needed - Check pads too.
  • Lubricate side/center stand - amazing how many were dry.....
  • Check and adjust cables - throttle and clutch, generally, they needed it. The clutch I did at the engine and allowed for full adjustment at the lever.
  • Check coolant level
  • Check tire air pressure
  • Check air filter
  • Adjust and lubricate drive chain or check rear diff fluid/top off if needed
  • Check all lights to make sure they were operational, and horn. Adjust headlight if needed.
  • Check steering head bearings - (adjustment extra on this one if needed)
  • Check shifter bolt and a few other misc bolts than I knew sometimes became loose.

The maintenance pages from the manual are in the picture section of my yahoo 919 site.

Also, many dealers (not all) totally rip customers off with their maintenance plans - many just do oil changes and little else, even when valve adjustment or more is called for.

A shame, yes, it's all about the money......

What ticked me off the most was a dealership that offered the first service free - well, all they did for the first service was have a kid change the oil and filter - the manual called for a variety of services, including a valve adjustment.

I've got enough work on new bikes to know that first valve adjustment can be critical - sure, many did not require an adjustment, but many did!

Errrrrr

Anyway, get the right tools, and the HONDA service manual - take your time, take pictures before disassembling if needed, and try to have fun.

Oh, be sure you have and use a torque wrench.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode