DOH! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

DOH!

well apparantly i'm still getting used to the 9er. got the bike warmed up, put on my gear (it was 12 degrees outside, dry pavement). got on, and went to take off. gave it too much gas while leaning over too far with cold tires and cold pavement. rear end simply went out from under me...

my first thought was to protect the gas tank, so i just held on and let my leg get sandwhiched. wasnt even going 5 mph thank god. gas tank saved, but left engine cover is scratched up pretty good, and the rear plastic is cracked

looked around this morning and i just missed a couple of left side covers for sale any idea where i could find another left side engine cover? also, how do i go about finding a new rear plastic? bike is an 02.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Cornicen

How's your leg?
Cracks can be repaired.
If the side cover's not leaking..............
Reduce tire pressure in cold weather.

post #3 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Tirone

check ebay and the classifieds section on this forum - there is stuff available from time to time. just check frequently

post #4 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Sike

Good to hear that you are OK.

This is a perfect excuse for new Circuit One engine cases/covers!!!

By the way, next time, don't try to protect the bike with your body, it is a losing proposition!!!

post #5 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

ouch dude

post #6 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better

New OEM stator cover's only about $85, and you'll need the $10 gasket along with it.

It's easy to swap out, too, but if you just leave the bike on the side stand, you'll probably lose more oil than you'd like, so use a swingarm stand and put it straight up.

BTW, I agree with earlier poster saying that using parts of your body as frame sliders is a losing proposition. Tank's a few hundred bucks, but a shredded leg? Little more than that, wouldn't you say?

post #7 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

the rear cowl plastic is ~160 bux......... glad your ok...

post #8 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

if ,as the rear slid you had rolled to your left onto your back you might have saved all the damage.......although 500# on your chest might be bad

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #9 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

lol guys!!! y'all crack me up.

mishap happened at around 2mph, wearing full body gear including padded riding pants, so it was worthwhile to save the tank. if it was a much higher speed, forget it.

the crack on the rear cowl is only on the upper portion of it so i wonder, could i take it off and then fuse it together some how?

engine cover, ouch! what is the circuit one cover that was mentioned? is it a performance part or?

post #10 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

Two mph before eating sheeit?

Be prepared for some crap before you find a solution.

If it was me, I would go OEM.

post #11 of 22 Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
lol guys!!! y'all crack me up.

mishap happened at around 2mph, wearing full body gear including padded riding pants, so it was worthwhile to save the tank. if it was a much higher speed, forget it.

the crack on the rear cowl is only on the upper portion of it so i wonder, could i take it off and then fuse it together some how?

engine cover, ouch! what is the circuit one cover that was mentioned? is it a performance part or?
You can use plastic epoxy on the inside of the cowl to bond the crack together and plastic filler on the outside to smooth it over, then repaint. Or you could buy an already painted new cowl and just bolt it on.

Here's a brief how to on replacing the stator cover from when I did it back when...https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...tor-cover.html'

post #12 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border View Post
Two mph before eating sheeit?

Be prepared for some crap before you find a solution.

If it was me, I would go OEM.
why? shit happens. i'm man enough to admit it. been riding for 6 years. last bike was a ninja 250 (what a ball that bike was) before the chain exploded at 65 mph, totaling it.

last time i checked, not many peeps were riding in 12 degree weather.

post #13 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
You can use plastic epoxy on the inside of the cowl to bond the crack together and plastic filler on the outside to smooth it over, then repaint. Or you could buy an already painted new cowl and just bolt it on.

Here's a brief how to on replacing the stator cover from when I did it back when...https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...tor-cover.html'
what is this epoxy stuff you speak of and where can i find it? that'd be awesome!

what is this circuit one/black stator cover, as in what does it do or is it just for looks?

post #14 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 12:20 AM
919>food>beer

we all take our spills, I know I've had my fair share of em, definatly check your tire pressure and drop it a few pounds lower than summer riding, granted when we went for 70-80 degrees to 30-45 I lost about 6 psi without adjusting, I had to put air in.

as for the curciut one cover, its here Circuit 1 One Motorcycle Products - Products and is thicker/stronger than stock, so you are more likely to make it home if you wreck out on the road somewhere.

post #15 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
why? ###t happens. i'm man enough to admit it. been riding for 6 years. last bike was a ninja 250 (what a ball that bike was) before the chain exploded at 65 mph, totaling it.

last time i checked, not many peeps were riding in 12 degree weather.
yeah... +25 man points on the 12 degree weather...

post #16 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Just leave the broken or scraped up parts on as long as they're not leaking or flappin about. Sounds like you might have a repeat performance before warm weather heads your way again!!! Who in their right mind rides in 12 degree weather if it isn't part of the mission/job? Don't sound to pleasant a thing to do, to me.
Another option might be to build it back to your own specs for a real "Old School Naked" design. Change it up a bit, that way you will have a true one of a kind 919.
Glad your alright.

post #17 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

wow, those circuit one covers are pricey!!!! i truly cannot justify that price. being a college student and broke, i have other priorities to take care of first before i splurge on something like that lol.

good point naked, i'll ponder on that. meanwhile i wonder if i could just kind of sand it down a bit and then paint it black to minimize the rash look abit. make it more discreet?

good point jeef. this is my 2nd winter riding (i used to be a fair weather rider), didnt know about the tire pressure drop. what should the difference be between summer riding and winter riding? i have no reference point.

well i must not be in my right mind, but thats ok. i'm used to it... i have about $400 invested into winter riding gear (got all of the stuff on massive sales, except for the foggy mask, wish i had bought that LAST winter! ). after extended riding, my feet, my jewels (never fails!) and my fingers tend to get cold. cant get much warmer without using electric gear at this point. as long as theres no ice/snow on the road, i'll just keep on riding. its my main mode of transportation. granted, i have a cage that's just sitting there feeling abandoned, but i only drive it when i have to carry alot of junk somewhere, or am too sick to ride/deal with the weather.

post #18 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
what is this epoxy stuff you speak of and where can i find it? that'd be awesome!
Plastic Repair - Urethane repair materials and adhesives are specially designed to match the substrate to be repaired US 3M

post #19 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

sorry to hear it. glad your alright.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #20 of 22 Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I stil have my Circut One Alt cover for sale. I want $110 plus your good OEM part if anyone is interested. Mine is the polished alum. Looks very good on the 919.

post #21 of 22 Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I stil have my Circut One Alt cover for sale. I want $110 plus your good OEM part if anyone is interested. Mine is the polished alum. Looks very good on the 919.
somehow i missed your post. my apologies!

i appreciate the offer but i'd prefer black instead of chrome. cheers.

post #22 of 22 Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Ballaholic

PM me if you still need the engine cover. i got one layin around that i took off with only 800mi on bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode