DIY Camera Mount - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 34 Old 01-23-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

DIY Camera Mount

Since we are heading down to Deal's Gap in May, I wanted to mount a camera to my bike. Here's the first style.

All I did to the Tee is cut it in half, then cut the bottom part in half long way.

Here is a video test of me on my way to AutoZone to pick up an all weather 12V cigarette lighter to mount under the seat for camera or phone power.

NOTE: The camera used to film is not the camera in the photos above. I may mount that camera after everything is glued together. Since it wasn't, I used my old Cannon PowerShot SD20 point and shoot camera in video mode.

[youtube]imVBqvEspzg[/youtube]

I also have a video of me driving down the street with the camera sitting at the end of the driveway just for a sound example of my worn out Satos.

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Very cool Chris. It appears to need a little shock mounting to eliminate the fuzzys when the RPMs rise.

post #3 of 34 Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Very cool Chris. It appears to need a little shock mounting to eliminate the fuzzys when the RPMs rise.
The buzz happens right around 3,500 - 4,000 RPM. It smooths out, then gets really shaky again around 6,000 and up.

I have rubber washers that I'm going to install where the 1/4" bolt runs through the screw-on cap. I also haven't glued any of the PVC yet so that might help tighten things up. Might make the problem worse, but I don't know.

Forgot this earlier...

Parts list...
- 3/4" PVC Tee
- 3/4" PVC pipe
- 3/4" PVC slip to threaded (Female) adapter
- 3/4" PVC Male threaded cap
- 1/4" x 20 x 2 inch bolt
- 2x 1/4" nuts
- 2x 1/4" rubber washers
- 1/4" wing nut

post #4 of 34 Old 01-23-2010, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Here is the Sato sound clip video...

[youtube]bDGoL_gngcs[/youtube]

post #5 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

You better quit rolling thru that first stop sign before Mr. Donut gets you!

That will work great until the first bug smack. Got a protective lens on that camera?

I also can't tell if you have any rubber underneath the tee. That might help with vibration.

The part that would worry me is if the T decided to loosen and spin rearward toward the tank.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 08:02 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

chris,

mount looks good so far. maybe a little "fine tuning" needed but good diy. not to pizz on your cheerios but did you see this on the dragon web site?
YouTube - THP AT THE TAIL OF THE DRAGON - DEALS GAP
just something you might want to consider while your "tweeking" your mount.
at least keep the screen on the good camera closed

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #7 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Di"zx"en

Great DIY mount. One thing with your HDD cam. You may need to go directly to a flash drive card. There is a mini SD slot on the bottom of the cam. My Hard drive cam works most of the time on the Goldwing. Hardly works at all on any of the other bikes though. The Hard drive cams cant take the vibes and jarring. So, just try it out thoroughly both ways before taking on a trip or you may not get any decent video to take home......which would suck.

That'll work........
post #8 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I did think about something to protect the lens, but don't have any good ideas. Maybe a small bracket that holds a little piece of plexi in front of it? I don't know yet.

I've seen the ticket for holding a camera video. I think their big issue was that he was holding it, not that he was filming. They can bite me anyway. They just need something else to give tickets for so they can fill their donut fund.

I don't think I'll be using my HDD camera on the bike. I was using the point and shoot to take example pictures and just put it on there to see how it would work. I know that I've had the camera shut off while filming RC cars due to vibration so I had already thought about using the flash card instead.

post #9 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Check the camera front at the lens area. It might be threaded and you can put on a protective clear filter to protect it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Great! Weird watching that being on the "wrong" side of the road! This is also on my list of things to do. What thread is used to screw into the camera?

post #11 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Di"zx"en

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I don't think I'll be using my HDD camera on the bike. I was using the point and shoot to take example pictures and just put it on there to see how it would work. I know that I've had the camera shut off while filming RC cars due to vibration so I had already thought about using the flash card instead.

Man,you gotta use the good one! Just get a Micro SD card from Wally World or Best Buy and have at it. The point and shoots take some pretty good video but the camcorder just works so much better. The camcorder also has a "wind noise reduction" feature that works really well. I just got a new GoPro camera that I've been playing with. It works really well,super small and waterproof but the video and especially the audio just isnt like a dedicated camcorder.

That'll work........
post #12 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice job, very ingenious. I have a ram mount that I use my point n shoot camera on. Works pretty good. I was getting the same kinda vibes at about 4K RPM and I used some rubber to isolate at the handlebar mount. Mine isn't as tall so its shoots thru the windscreen.

[youtube]VbRBvW5CmLU[/youtube]

post #13 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Di"zx"en

I'm sure glad that the 12pt Buck that was eyeing you as you past him at 100 wasnt thinking about getting to the otherside of the road!

That'll work........
post #14 of 34 Old 01-24-2010, 05:22 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I did think about something to protect the lens, but don't have any good ideas. Maybe a small bracket that holds a little piece of plexi in front of it? I don't know yet.

I've seen the ticket for holding a camera video. I think their big issue was that he was holding it, not that he was filming. They can bite me anyway. They just need something else to give tickets for so they can fill their donut fund.

chris,
they were'nt holding the camera, it was on the dash. the cop said the lcd screen was "a distraction" they beat the ticket because that camera does'nt even have a screen to view while filming. i've got the gopro camera mounted on the top of my helmet.at the time i did'nt know about the ticket. just sumthin' to think 'bout

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #15 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

pretty cool, Murf.

What kind of camera is that?
Where ja get it?
How much$$$

post #16 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Nice job, very ingenious. I have a ram mount that I use my point n shoot camera on. Works pretty good. I was getting the same kinda vibes at about 4K RPM and I used some rubber to isolate at the handlebar mount. Mine isn't as tall so its shoots thru the windscreen.

[youtube]VbRBvW5CmLU[/youtube]
Excellent peice of road, hardly any traffic and nice and windy with a few straights to open up occasionally. Very nice.

post #17 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Nice write-up, pics & vids Chris
I'm glad to see that at least someone will be able to capture some of the action...
but the at the same time I wanna have my own experiences recorded too.
I'm really fighting the urge to spring for a GoPro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
not to pizz on your cheerios but did you see this on the dragon web site?
YouTube - THP AT THE TAIL OF THE DRAGON - DEALS GAP
just something you might want to consider while your "tweeking" your mount.
at least keep the screen on the good camera closed
Looks to me like this guy has a chip on his shoulder and was bent on trying to prove that the cops down there are crooked... apparently he has nothing better to do.
IMO he comes out looking like a total tool - you can see him holding the camera up as he's driving (look in his rearview mirror).
Even though he's not looking through a viewfinder, he's still making an effort to point the camera with his free hand, and that -to me- is a distraction.
I totally agree with the cop.

NOW, I wonder about a mounted GPS unit like a TomTom or a Garmin...
would that be a distraction?

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #18 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
I'm glad to see that at least someone will be able to capture some of the action...

Looks to me like this guy has a chip on his shoulder and was bent on trying to prove that the cops down there are crooked... apparently he has nothing better to do.
IMO he comes out looking like a total tool - you can see him holding the camera up as he's driving (look in his rearview mirror).
Even though he's not looking through a viewfinder, he's still making an effort to point the camera with his free hand, and that -to me- is a distraction.

Since Laura will not be riding with me at all, I can follow you and record. If you don't want to spring for a Go Pro

I've seen the video of the guy holding the camera before this thread. I think he was just asking for a ticket. I'm glad the cop gave him a ticket. If it was mounted to his dash, all he'd have to do is drive. Instead, he's driving around with bikes on the road not paying full attention to where he is going and fooling with a camera. If he hadn't been such a douche when he got pulled over, he may have just gotten a warning. I think he is is the right to correct the officer about the view finder, but he should have stopped there.

I don't think they care about a mounted camera as long as you aren't just playing with it going down the road.

post #19 of 34 Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I don't have any photos, but I've shortened the mount a little, glued it together, and painted it black. I also added some foam insulation (the kind used for insulating A/C Unit lines) between the PVC and bars. The weather has been too crappy to get out and test it.

Also, just picked up this lens filter kit. I checked with the local camera shop and they said it would do a good job of clearing up my video and would provide lens protection from bugs and small objects.

Filter Kit Polarizer PL + UV FD FOR JVC Everio GZ-MG21U - eBay (item 130358763598 end time Feb-12-10 09:18:37 PST)

post #20 of 34 Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
pretty cool, Murf.

What kind of camera is that?
Where ja get it?
How much$$$
Rod,

It's a JVC Everio Hard Disk Digital camera. I picked it up at Best Buy when they first started getting out. I think I paid about $700 for it. It's not High Def, but it does film in 16:9 widescreen. The battery sucks on this thing. Good thing I got that 12v Accessory port under the seat now.

post #21 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

hey MM, yer brightlight is on

post #22 of 34 Old 02-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
hey MM, yer brightlight is on
Always in the daytime

post #23 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Update!

I modified my mount by adding a T to the middle and a short piece off to the right. I now have both my camera and GPS mounted to this one place.

I took some video with my actual video camera this morning on the way to work. I recorded the video in widescreen, but YouTube messed it up. I might fix it and repost.

[youtube]ffZRuUlYBA8[/youtube]

post #24 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

well, even if it's messed up it looks pretty good to me

your roads remind me of those around where my Father-in-law lives, around Rushville, IN. Do you have gravel roads around you or are all of them paved?

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #25 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
...Do you have gravel roads around you or are all of them paved?
All the roads within probably a 15 mile radius are paved. You can find a few that are what I call Chip and Seal roads close to town, but if you go out in the county, there are a few gravel (probably not on a map) and some more of the Chip and Seal roads.

post #26 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

You're going to have fun with that this summer. You ought to do a vid from Gypsie Curve to Rocky Point.

post #27 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I know Rocky Point, but which corner is Gypsie Curve?

post #28 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

I made the same kind of mount a couple years back. Never did get the buzz out. I kept trying to isolate the mount from the bike rather than the camera from the mount, might give that a try. The wind noise was pretty bad as well. How is the wind with your camera?

I also have a tachyon XC helmet mountable camera. I need to come up with a rig to secure it to my helmet though. Another project...

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #29 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Great! Weird watching that being on the "wrong" side of the road! This is also on my list of things to do. What thread is used to screw into the camera?
All cameras of all types, video and still should have the same 1/4" mount. I just went to a hardware store and bought a 4" long 1/4" bolt. I think the thread count is 20/in or so. If anyone knows for sure, chime in.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #30 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I made the same kind of mount a couple years back. Never did get the buzz out. I kept trying to isolate the mount from the bike rather than the camera from the mount, might give that a try. The wind noise was pretty bad as well. How is the wind with your camera?

I also have a tachyon XC helmet mountable camera. I need to come up with a rig to secure it to my helmet though. Another project...
The wind noise can be heard in the video. I didn't edit anything. I walked inside after riding and started the upload.

The camera does had a wind cut feature which is turned on. I still might try putting a piece of tape over the microphone hole(s).

I don't think there is any way to get all the shake or buzz out with this setup. I do have a piece of foam insulation around the bar. It came from the heating/air/plumbing section of Lowe's. It works okay, but I think I'm going to need something else like a small square of rubber.

Also, the bolt is indeed a 1/4 - 20 bolt. My securing mechanism is a wing nut and a 3/8 x 1 nylon washer. I also have a large rubber washer that I am going to try putting between the nylon washer and the camera. The bolt is mounted through the PVC with rubber washers on each side.

Total cost involved was well under $20. If I divide up the costs and only account for what I actually used, it is probably under $10.

post #31 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Here is the mount. Not pictured is the bottom plate or the hose clamps that hold it on.

Below is a 360* GIF of it.

Here it is in all its nauseating glory...

...and here is a good still shot.

post #32 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Tirone

Quote:

Agreed... The guy could have hit and killed someone in the time it took him to record himself in his rear view. I would have issued a ticket and a can of whoop ass.

post #33 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otoMrepuS View Post
Agreed... The guy could have hit and killed someone in the time it took him to record himself in his rear view. I would have issued a ticket and a can of whoop ass.
nice first post.

Welcome to WristTwisters.

post #34 of 34 Old 04-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Tirone

Quote:
nice first post.

Welcome to WristTwisters.
been lurking for a few months, joined a few days ago and Just figured that was worthy of a post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode