Dislodged (and leaking) front brake piston - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 02-10-2016, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919

Dislodged (and leaking) front brake piston

I have a braided line set coming soon, and in preparation for that I did a pre-emptive check of the front brakes to see what condition the pads and such were in.

Removed the pads from the front right caliper, and must've pulled on the front brake a little too much while checking the piston as one of the pistons has now come nearly completely out of its slot - in the process leaking a decent amount of brake fluid.

I've wrapped the front right brake in a couple of plastic bags and am calling it quits for the night.

Is the fix just as simple as pushing the piston back in, or am I better off replacing the seals?

I am assuming I will need to bleed to brakes after topping up the fluid to replace what leaked out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
I would say that you will need to replace the piston seals - in fact, do a complete caliper overhaul at this point. Yes, you will need to flush and bleed when done, both sides - especially as you are leaving the system open as brake fluid is absolutely hygroscopic and loves absorbing water from the air. That's a bad thing when you heat up the brakes with use.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #3 of 8 Old 02-10-2016, 10:14 AM
Left of Centre

The topping up and bleeding will all be necessary when your braided lines arrive any way - you'll be draining and replacing just about every drop of fluid.

In the meantime, you could just do as you say - pop the piston back in, clean it all up and attend to the fluid deficit. If the piston doesn't give you any further indication of problems, no fluid weeping etc, you might be able to live with it like that.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 AM
just send it.

Garage
When you do as the guys above said, take lots of pictures. It might be of use to others down the road...

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 8 Old 02-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

These will help: (they are for different bikes but the principle is the same)

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 8 Old 02-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

If there is no indication of leakage or deterioration of the seals there is no need to rebuild the calipers.

All that needs doing is to drain all but about 6mm of fluid from the reservoir, unbolt the caliper from the fork and hold it in a position where the piston you are reinserting faces up, fully remove and thoroughly clean the errant piston as well as the seals, coat it and the seals with fresh brake fluid, fill the bore the piston works in with fresh brake fluid to just below the lower edge of the seal, and reinstall the piston just far enough to engage not only the dust seal (the outer one) but also the primary seal. This will displace fluid and air into the reservoir, so be ready to keep your bike from getting a bath.

Once the piston is in far enough to insure a positive seal position the caliper such that the banjo fitting is at its highest point and push the piston in slowly until it is fully seated in the bore, then push the other three in fully as well. This will force any remaining air back up the lines into the reservoir.

Using this procedure usually results in a system that needs no further bleeding.

Good luck!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2016, 05:49 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
If there is no indication of leakage or deterioration of the seals there is no need to rebuild the calipers.

All that needs doing is to drain all but about 6mm of fluid from the reservoir, unbolt the caliper from the fork and hold it in a position where the piston you are reinserting faces up, fully remove and thoroughly clean the errant piston as well as the seals, coat it and the seals with fresh brake fluid, fill the bore the piston works in with fresh brake fluid to just below the lower edge of the seal, and reinstall the piston just far enough to engage not only the dust seal (the outer one) but also the primary seal. This will displace fluid and air into the reservoir, so be ready to keep your bike from getting a bath.

Once the piston is in far enough to insure a positive seal position the caliper such that the banjo fitting is at its highest point and push the piston in slowly until it is fully seated in the bore, then push the other three in fully as well. This will force any remaining air back up the lines into the reservoir.

Using this procedure usually results in a system that needs no further bleeding.

Good luck!

Rob
The above method works.
I was using it 40 years ago and it worked very well.
My buddies instead did the classic bleed, and rebled a few times re our twin disc CB750s that we all had.
I used Rob's method, didn't need to bleed, and went riding.
My buddies would foam and froth while bleeding and rebleeding to get all the air out before being able to go for a ride and even then they often had levers a bit on the mushy side.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post

Good luck!

Rob
Thanks for the post, Rob, as ever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode