did you cut your renthal bars?/hey m51142 - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 10-06-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vienna, WV
Posts: 116
Rep Power: 1
 
did you cut your renthal bars?/hey m51142

how many have you cut your renthal bars? how much?

m51142, since you have the same profile as me 5'6" did you cut yours? your thoughts on it

psdavidson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 10-06-2006, 07:06 PM
919 City Pilot
 
Pegjumpflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tucson Wasteland
Posts: 1,043
Rep Power: 1
 
no way... I love the added length...drilled the things as well...no problems!
I'm 5'11!

Pegjumpflyer is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 10-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Legatus Legionis
 
SV650s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The woods of CT
Posts: 9,680
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I also did not cut mine nor do I intend to. They feel just right even with my short reach arms. lol- The additional leverage makes initiating turns or slight corrections a snap. That's my personal opinion. My non-biased suggestion would be not to cut them. Ride with them for a few weeks and see how they feel you. With any modification it might feel a little strange at first until you get use to it. Then and only then you can make a decision to lop off a few mm.

SV650s is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 10-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped
 
xrmikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,909
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

I cut 1-1/8" off each end.
It put the ends of the grips exactly at stock width.It feels alot like my old 92 GSXR750.
wanted them in this manner,I wanted stock, overall width, with my bar end mirrors folded.Achieved!
I would not recomend it though because it doesn't allow for much,if any ,lever to grip adjustment due to the longer bend sweep of lower bars.
f you must cut, Ideally 1/2"-3/4" is perfect. As far as leverge goes,It doesn't matter,a 9'r is an auto turner.
Put your bar width at a natural,comfortable width.
Slide your controles in & out & test ride each adjustment.when your happy,cut the exta off. Bear in mind that a longer bar adds extra width for tight riding conditions/parking, and makes for extra "reach" when navigating slow lock to lock turns.[/B]
Don't worry about drilling the locater holes.It won't affect structural integrity,unless of course you plan on jumping a 30' triple on a sportbike,then it might be a concern.
Street bikes don't ever incounter those type of loads, except in a crash.

xrmikey is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Sweepuk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I cut around an inch off mine, prefer narrow bars myself.

post #6 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vienna, WV
Posts: 116
Rep Power: 1
 
I didnt cut mine but I havent rode it more than 5 miles either. so far not bad and the pazzos rock. a diffrent feel on those levers a good pull. the bar end mirrors is hard to get used to my eyes go up instead of down.

psdavidson is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 04:40 PM
DropBear 9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I have the Renthal Ultra lows on mine (man, so much better than the stock bars)
I've had 'em on there for a month or so now (about 1.5k miles, give or take).
I had originally planned on leaving them alone, but I decided a while back that I think I'd like to cut them down a little.
Over the last few days, my mind has been made up..
I'm lopping 20mm off the ends this weekend. (If I get the time).
I do a lot of commuting in peak hour traffic. Two lanes going nowhere fast and I'm a dedicated lane splitter. That extra 20 mil may not sound like much, but that will bring the overall width back to about the same as my old VF400. I got very used to my width on that bike and the sort of gaps I could pop through.
A kind of sixth sense if you will.
I've knocked the bloody mirrors a couple of times now. It's only light, but enough to shift the thing. Plus I don't immagine the tin tops appreciate it either.
And there's no way I'm gonna sit there in line like a ... well.. like a line sitting person...

The stock bars were pretty close, but the ULs in stock form are just bothering me too much. That 20 mil has gotta go.

Oh, there's also the issue of oversensitivity to input. At least for my preferences.
The extra width does, as Mike says, make the steering "lighter", but I found the steering pretty light and quick as it was. The added length just makes it a tad too sensitive to involuntary input for my liking.
This is my primary reason for cutting 'em down! The lane splitting thing was just the clincher.

post #8 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vienna, WV
Posts: 116
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropBear 9 View Post
I have the Renthal Ultra lows on mine (man, so much better than the stock bars)
I've had 'em on there for a month or so now (about 1.5k miles, give or take).
I had originally planned on leaving them alone, but I decided a while back that I think I'd like to cut them down a little.
Over the last few days, my mind has been made up..
I'm lopping 20mm off the ends this weekend. (If I get the time).
I do a lot of commuting in peak hour traffic. Two lanes going nowhere fast and I'm a dedicated lane splitter. That extra 20 mil may not sound like much, but that will bring the overall width back to about the same as my old VF400. I got very used to my width on that bike and the sort of gaps I could pop through.
A kind of sixth sense if you will.
I've knocked the bloody mirrors a couple of times now. It's only light, but enough to shift the thing. Plus I don't immagine the tin tops appreciate it either.
And there's no way I'm gonna sit there in line like a ... well.. like a line sitting person...

The stock bars were pretty close, but the ULs in stock form are just bothering me too much. That 20 mil has gotta go.

Oh, there's also the issue of oversensitivity to input. At least for my preferences.
The extra width does, as Mike says, make the steering "lighter", but I found the steering pretty light and quick as it was. The added length just makes it a tad too sensitive to involuntary input for my liking.
This is my primary reason for cutting 'em down! The lane splitting thing was just the clincher.
if you drilled your bar will you be redrilling? or grinding the pins?

psdavidson is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 07:33 PM
DropBear 9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson View Post
if you drilled your bar will you be redrilling? or grinding the pins?
Re-drilling.
No ifs or buts.
These bars are a thickwall bar.
Any weakening that may occur is still going to leave the bars stronger than my wrists.
Anything that might happen to put so much stress on the bars that they fail is going to break my wrists first.
I any such event, breaking bars would be the least of my worries.


I hereby disclaim any responsibility whatsoever for any damage, pain and or injuries caused by anyone following my lead.
Your wrists may be tougher than mine!

post #10 of 28 Old 10-09-2006, 10:24 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
 
Bars and grips

About to do the bar install myself. Do I need new grips? I saw a link where u can use your stock ones but have to remove them with an air hose? I don't have access to one of those. So should I just get new grips and cut the old ones off?

Any help would be great

Lucas

ldjbufff25 is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 10-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii
 
ajcombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,801
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjbufff25 View Post
About to do the bar install myself. Do I need new grips? I saw a link where u can use your stock ones but have to remove them with an air hose? I don't have access to one of those. So should I just get new grips and cut the old ones off?

Any help would be great

Lucas
If you like them go buy a can of compressed air from radio shack that will work the same as an aircompressor. Or look at it as a chance to upgrade to some gel grips.

ajcombs is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 10-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke
 
MotoCycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,085
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjbufff25 View Post
About to do the bar install myself. Do I need new grips? I saw a link where u can use your stock ones but have to remove them with an air hose? I don't have access to one of those. So should I just get new grips and cut the old ones off?

Any help would be great

Lucas
Another trick to getting grips off is to roll them up a bit, squirt in some soapy water & then roll the back down. Now twist a little and the soapy water will just work up under the entire grip.. They will pop right off. You can use WD-40 too.. but it makes a big oily mess. Anything slippery will work... but soapy water will clean the fastest after.

When you reinstall the grips use a suitable grip adhesive like Honda Grip cement. It looks a bit like that yellow gorilla snot adhesive and smells like good ole fashioned rubber cement. Maybe someone can recommend a substitute? I bought the Honda stuff in a tube, and have been happily cementing grips ever since. A little goes a long way.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
MotoCycho is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
DropBear 9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I kept the stock grips.
You only need to "remove" the left grip as the right one is left attached to the throttle assembly. No need to pull the grip off on that side.

I found that my left grip came off with just a long thin screwdriver inserted between the bar and the grip. I just sprayed a little WD40 on the screwdriver, poked it in and wiggled it about a bit until I could pull the grip off of the bars.

As for re-fitting, I've not needed to use anything at all.
The right grip, as I say is just left on the twistgrip, so no issue there.
The left grip just needed pushing onto the new bars. It hasn't even thought about slipping at all. Maybe I just got lucky, but pretty much any spray adhesive of the contact variety will work.
Spray a little on the bar and a little up into the grip (after cleaning 'em both) then push the grip on, pull it back off quickly, leave for about a minute and shove it back on. Pretty much standard contact glue methodology.

I've also heard that hairspray is good too, but alas my compliment of folicles precludes me from requiring such products.

Oh, removing the bar ends is the trickiest part..
See this thread over on the Nest. (Especially Mike's post.. M51142)
http://p196.ezboard.com/fhornetsnest...cID=3409.topic

post #14 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vienna, WV
Posts: 116
Rep Power: 1
 
I always get new grips and cut the other ones off. new gels cost me $10.50. and I never have used anything but hairspray to put them on once dried they dont move. I'm very happy with the bars.

psdavidson is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vienna, WV
Posts: 116
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropBear 9 View Post

I've also heard that hairspray is good too, but alas my compliment of folicles precludes me from requiring such products.
I hope this isnt common with 919 riders because I'm slowly starting to get that way

psdavidson is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 AM
Legatus Legionis
 
SV650s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The woods of CT
Posts: 9,680
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson View Post
I hope this isnt common with 919 riders because I'm slowly starting to get that way
Riding a girlie man bike requires the use of hairspray. Another option is acetone, a few drops applied to the inside of the grip allows it to slide on ultra easy, after the solvent evaporates the grip is rock solid.

SV650s is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 10:59 AM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,379
Rep Power: 0
 
I kept the stock grips, never used any adhesive or anything and my grips are fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson View Post
I always get new grips and cut the other ones off. new gels cost me $10.50. and I never have used anything but hairspray to put them on once dried they dont move. I'm very happy with the bars.
May I ask how did you go about taking the grip off the throttle assembly? I'm just wondering how difficult it is because I would like to get new grips as mine are showing some wear.

motorwerks919 is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke
 
MotoCycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,085
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
May I ask how did you go about taking the grip off the throttle assembly? I'm just wondering how difficult it is because I would like to get new grips as mine are showing some wear.
We just said. Same methods. Compressed air, lube, cut. You choose.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
MotoCycho is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 AM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,379
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
We just said. Same methods. Compressed air, lube, cut. You chose.
I see, thanks Reverend. I wasn't sure if there was something different that had to be done because of the throttle assembly.

motorwerks919 is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 10:01 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
 
Hey thanks guys.. I get my bars in on Thursday sounds like a pretty simple job. sweet deal.
Now I just gotta decide if I want to cut the bars or not.. sheesh!

Thanks again


Lucas

ldjbufff25 is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 11:48 PM
DropBear 9
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Good luck with 'em!
Pretty sure you'll be happy!

My advice would be to leave 'em alone for now.
Ride about for a while and see how you like 'em.
You'll be able to tell for yourself whether or not cutting them down will be beneficial to you.
Not everyone needs or wants to cut them down as you can see!

post #22 of 28 Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vienna, WV
Posts: 116
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjbufff25 View Post
Hey thanks guys.. I get my bars in on Thursday sounds like a pretty simple job. sweet deal.
Now I just gotta decide if I want to cut the bars or not.. sheesh!

Thanks again


Lucas
I think if you came from a sportbike you would like the quicker turning with the extra leverage. if you used to ride something other or nothing before you may think its alittle twitchy. I was surprized by the amount of "twitchyness" In my mind it made the bike more powerfull like. even tho nothing had changed in the powerband. I was just floging at low speeds just skimming the front wheel off the ground and I was noticeing alot more front end feedback. which is nice because I never really knew what the bike was doing before. I hope this made some kind of sence.

psdavidson is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 10-12-2006, 01:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,490
Rep Power: 1
 
Cut and drilled my Coherce. Damn glad I did.

Sniper is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Legatus Legionis
 
SV650s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The woods of CT
Posts: 9,680
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Cut and drilled my Coherce. Damn glad I did.
This thread is all about Renthal bars however thanks for the Coerce information.

SV650s is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 10-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Me, thas who.
 
tpirman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 357
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

I cut my Renthals. Was a pain, but I like the narrower bars. Make sure you polish everything down so there are no places for the bars to crack under stress.

tpirman is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 10-13-2006, 08:42 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
 
Just finished the bar install last night. It was pretty easy. I don't think I will cut the renthals, I will leave them as they are. I rode it for a bit already, I like it.

Thanks for everyone input on the subject. My camera is toast or else I would have som pics up.

Thanks again

Lucas

ldjbufff25 is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 10-13-2006, 10:24 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,490
Rep Power: 1
 
Excuse me. Coherce and Renthals, 2 completely different things.

Sniper is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 10-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Primus Pilus
 
BockHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 3,432
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Excuse me. Coherce and Renthals, 2 completely different things.
You're right, of course. Renthals are a handlebar manufacturer and coherce is a word that comes out as a result of spending too much time around RC90. Coerce makes some nice equipment, though.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
BockHawk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome