did you cut your renthal bars?/hey m51142 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 10-06-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

did you cut your renthal bars?/hey m51142

how many have you cut your renthal bars? how much?

m51142, since you have the same profile as me 5'6" did you cut yours? your thoughts on it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-06-2006, 07:06 PM
919 City Pilot

no way... I love the added length...drilled the things as well...no problems!
I'm 5'11!

post #3 of 28 Old 10-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I also did not cut mine nor do I intend to. They feel just right even with my short reach arms. lol- The additional leverage makes initiating turns or slight corrections a snap. That's my personal opinion. My non-biased suggestion would be not to cut them. Ride with them for a few weeks and see how they feel you. With any modification it might feel a little strange at first until you get use to it. Then and only then you can make a decision to lop off a few mm.

post #4 of 28 Old 10-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

I cut 1-1/8" off each end.
It put the ends of the grips exactly at stock width.It feels alot like my old 92 GSXR750.
wanted them in this manner,I wanted stock, overall width, with my bar end mirrors folded.Achieved!
I would not recomend it though because it doesn't allow for much,if any ,lever to grip adjustment due to the longer bend sweep of lower bars.
f you must cut, Ideally 1/2"-3/4" is perfect. As far as leverge goes,It doesn't matter,a 9'r is an auto turner.
Put your bar width at a natural,comfortable width.
Slide your controles in & out & test ride each adjustment.when your happy,cut the exta off. Bear in mind that a longer bar adds extra width for tight riding conditions/parking, and makes for extra "reach" when navigating slow lock to lock turns.[/B]
Don't worry about drilling the locater holes.It won't affect structural integrity,unless of course you plan on jumping a 30' triple on a sportbike,then it might be a concern.
Street bikes don't ever incounter those type of loads, except in a crash.

post #5 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Sweepuk

I cut around an inch off mine, prefer narrow bars myself.

post #6 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I didnt cut mine but I havent rode it more than 5 miles either. so far not bad and the pazzos rock. a diffrent feel on those levers a good pull. the bar end mirrors is hard to get used to my eyes go up instead of down.

post #7 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 04:40 PM
DropBear 9

I have the Renthal Ultra lows on mine (man, so much better than the stock bars)
I've had 'em on there for a month or so now (about 1.5k miles, give or take).
I had originally planned on leaving them alone, but I decided a while back that I think I'd like to cut them down a little.
Over the last few days, my mind has been made up..
I'm lopping 20mm off the ends this weekend. (If I get the time).
I do a lot of commuting in peak hour traffic. Two lanes going nowhere fast and I'm a dedicated lane splitter. That extra 20 mil may not sound like much, but that will bring the overall width back to about the same as my old VF400. I got very used to my width on that bike and the sort of gaps I could pop through.
A kind of sixth sense if you will.
I've knocked the bloody mirrors a couple of times now. It's only light, but enough to shift the thing. Plus I don't immagine the tin tops appreciate it either.
And there's no way I'm gonna sit there in line like a ... well.. like a line sitting person...

The stock bars were pretty close, but the ULs in stock form are just bothering me too much. That 20 mil has gotta go.

Oh, there's also the issue of oversensitivity to input. At least for my preferences.
The extra width does, as Mike says, make the steering "lighter", but I found the steering pretty light and quick as it was. The added length just makes it a tad too sensitive to involuntary input for my liking.
This is my primary reason for cutting 'em down! The lane splitting thing was just the clincher.

post #8 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropBear 9 View Post
I have the Renthal Ultra lows on mine (man, so much better than the stock bars)
I've had 'em on there for a month or so now (about 1.5k miles, give or take).
I had originally planned on leaving them alone, but I decided a while back that I think I'd like to cut them down a little.
Over the last few days, my mind has been made up..
I'm lopping 20mm off the ends this weekend. (If I get the time).
I do a lot of commuting in peak hour traffic. Two lanes going nowhere fast and I'm a dedicated lane splitter. That extra 20 mil may not sound like much, but that will bring the overall width back to about the same as my old VF400. I got very used to my width on that bike and the sort of gaps I could pop through.
A kind of sixth sense if you will.
I've knocked the bloody mirrors a couple of times now. It's only light, but enough to shift the thing. Plus I don't immagine the tin tops appreciate it either.
And there's no way I'm gonna sit there in line like a ... well.. like a line sitting person...

The stock bars were pretty close, but the ULs in stock form are just bothering me too much. That 20 mil has gotta go.

Oh, there's also the issue of oversensitivity to input. At least for my preferences.
The extra width does, as Mike says, make the steering "lighter", but I found the steering pretty light and quick as it was. The added length just makes it a tad too sensitive to involuntary input for my liking.
This is my primary reason for cutting 'em down! The lane splitting thing was just the clincher.
if you drilled your bar will you be redrilling? or grinding the pins?

post #9 of 28 Old 10-08-2006, 07:33 PM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdavidson View Post
if you drilled your bar will you be redrilling? or grinding the pins?
Re-drilling.
No ifs or buts.
These bars are a thickwall bar.
Any weakening that may occur is still going to leave the bars stronger than my wrists.
Anything that might happen to put so much stress on the bars that they fail is going to break my wrists first.
I any such event, breaking bars would be the least of my worries.

I hereby disclaim any responsibility whatsoever for any damage, pain and or injuries caused by anyone following my lead.
Your wrists may be tougher than mine!

post #10 of 28 Old 10-09-2006, 10:24 PM

Bars and grips

About to do the bar install myself. Do I need new grips? I saw a link where u can use your stock ones but have to remove them with an air hose? I don't have access to one of those. So should I just get new grips and cut the old ones off?

Any help would be great

Lucas

post #11 of 28 Old 10-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjbufff25 View Post
About to do the bar install myself. Do I need new grips? I saw a link where u can use your stock ones but have to remove them with an air hose? I don't have access to one of those. So should I just get new grips and cut the old ones off?

Any help would be great

Lucas
If you like them go buy a can of compressed air from radio shack that will work the same as an aircompressor. Or look at it as a chance to upgrade to some gel grips.

post #12 of 28 Old 10-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:

Any help would be great

Lucas
Another trick to getting grips off is to roll them up a bit, squirt in some soapy water & then roll the back down. Now twist a little and the soapy water will just work up under the entire grip.. They will pop right off. You can use WD-40 too.. but it makes a big oily mess. Anything slippery will work... but soapy water will clean the fastest after.

When you reinstall the grips use a suitable grip adhesive like Honda Grip cement. It looks a bit like that yellow gorilla snot adhesive and smells like good ole fashioned rubber cement. Maybe someone can recommend a substitute? I bought the Honda stuff in a tube, and have been happily cementing grips ever since. A little goes a long way.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #13 of 28 Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
DropBear 9

I kept the stock grips.
You only need to "remove" the left grip as the right one is left attached to the throttle assembly. No need to pull the grip off on that side.

I found that my left grip came off with just a long thin screwdriver inserted between the bar and the grip. I just sprayed a little WD40 on the screwdriver, poked it in and wiggled it about a bit until I could pull the grip off of the bars.

As for re-fitting, I've not needed to use anything at all.
The right grip, as I say is just left on the twistgrip, so no issue there.
The left grip just needed pushing onto the new bars. It hasn't even thought about slipping at all. Maybe I just got lucky, but pretty much any spray adhesive of the contact variety will work.
Spray a little on the bar and a little up into the grip (after cleaning 'em both) then push the grip on, pull it back off quickly, leave for about a minute and shove it back on. Pretty much standard contact glue methodology.

I've also heard that hairspray is good too, but alas my compliment of folicles precludes me from requiring such products.

Oh, removing the bar ends is the trickiest part..
See this thread over on the Nest. (Especially Mike's post.. M51142)
http://p196.ezboard.com/fhornetsnest...cID=3409.topic

post #14 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I always get new grips and cut the other ones off. new gels cost me $10.50. and I never have used anything but hairspray to put them on once dried they dont move. I'm very happy with the bars.

post #15 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropBear 9 View Post

I've also heard that hairspray is good too, but alas my compliment of folicles precludes me from requiring such products.
I hope this isnt common with 919 riders because I'm slowly starting to get that way

post #16 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I hope this isnt common with 919 riders because I'm slowly starting to get that way
Riding a girlie man bike requires the use of hairspray. Another option is acetone, a few drops applied to the inside of the grip allows it to slide on ultra easy, after the solvent evaporates the grip is rock solid.

post #17 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 10:59 AM

I kept the stock grips, never used any adhesive or anything and my grips are fine.

Quote:
I always get new grips and cut the other ones off. new gels cost me $10.50. and I never have used anything but hairspray to put them on once dried they dont move. I'm very happy with the bars.
May I ask how did you go about taking the grip off the throttle assembly? I'm just wondering how difficult it is because I would like to get new grips as mine are showing some wear.

post #18 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
May I ask how did you go about taking the grip off the throttle assembly? I'm just wondering how difficult it is because I would like to get new grips as mine are showing some wear.
We just said. Same methods. Compressed air, lube, cut. You choose.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #19 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
We just said. Same methods. Compressed air, lube, cut. You chose.
I see, thanks Reverend. I wasn't sure if there was something different that had to be done because of the throttle assembly.

post #20 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 10:01 PM

Hey thanks guys.. I get my bars in on Thursday sounds like a pretty simple job. sweet deal.
Now I just gotta decide if I want to cut the bars or not.. sheesh!

Thanks again

Lucas

post #21 of 28 Old 10-10-2006, 11:48 PM
DropBear 9

Good luck with 'em!
Pretty sure you'll be happy!

My advice would be to leave 'em alone for now.
Ride about for a while and see how you like 'em.
You'll be able to tell for yourself whether or not cutting them down will be beneficial to you.
Not everyone needs or wants to cut them down as you can see!

post #22 of 28 Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Hey thanks guys.. I get my bars in on Thursday sounds like a pretty simple job. sweet deal.
Now I just gotta decide if I want to cut the bars or not.. sheesh!

Thanks again

Lucas
I think if you came from a sportbike you would like the quicker turning with the extra leverage. if you used to ride something other or nothing before you may think its alittle twitchy. I was surprized by the amount of "twitchyness" In my mind it made the bike more powerfull like. even tho nothing had changed in the powerband. I was just floging at low speeds just skimming the front wheel off the ground and I was noticeing alot more front end feedback. which is nice because I never really knew what the bike was doing before. I hope this made some kind of sence.

post #23 of 28 Old 10-12-2006, 01:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Cut and drilled my Coherce. Damn glad I did.

post #24 of 28 Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Cut and drilled my Coherce. Damn glad I did.
This thread is all about Renthal bars however thanks for the Coerce information.

post #25 of 28 Old 10-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

I cut my Renthals. Was a pain, but I like the narrower bars. Make sure you polish everything down so there are no places for the bars to crack under stress.

post #26 of 28 Old 10-13-2006, 08:42 AM

Just finished the bar install last night. It was pretty easy. I don't think I will cut the renthals, I will leave them as they are. I rode it for a bit already, I like it.

Thanks for everyone input on the subject. My camera is toast or else I would have som pics up.

Thanks again

Lucas

post #27 of 28 Old 10-13-2006, 10:24 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Excuse me. Coherce and Renthals, 2 completely different things.

post #28 of 28 Old 10-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Excuse me. Coherce and Renthals, 2 completely different things.
You're right, of course. Renthals are a handlebar manufacturer and coherce is a word that comes out as a result of spending too much time around RC90. Coerce makes some nice equipment, though.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode