Diablo Strada? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Diablo Strada?

I've got a worn out front on my 919 (cupped beyond belief). I happen to have a brand new Diablo Strada 120/70 that I got for $25 when I bought a rear for my SV650 (sold to get a 919). The rear Dunlop on the 919 is new and in great shape. So when I bought the bike I figured I'd just put my Strada on it... HOWEVER...

I am scheduled for my first track day on 7/9/06 and I expect to take it easy since I've never done this before. I just wonder if I should forgo my original plan and just buy a set of Pilot Powers at the track ($25 off the set and I think they mount them for free). I'm honest with myself, this is a street bike, even if I love track days I'm too cheap to do it more than once or twice per year so the Strada seemed like an ideal tire for my street riding use but I'm not so sure about it's track day potential.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 09:32 AM
tomvan72

Just be carefull about mixing tires. If you rear is an OEM tire, the diablo will have much more grip and cause an over steer situation. This may cause for the back end to step out without warning.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvan72
Just be carefull about mixing tires. If you rear is an OEM tire, the diablo will have much more grip and cause an over steer situation. This may cause for the back end to step out without warning.

The rear is not OEM, it's a Dunlop 220 I think... I'll check that when I get home. The bike came with Michelin "Hi Sport" tires (the front is original)

post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

If it is indeed a 220 you might think about getting a match for the front, or better yet and set of Pilot Powers. In fact even if it is a 208 I would change it out. On the street you can get away with mix and match as long as you take it easy. On the track it's a whole different story. Ask yourself, is the cost of a tire worth taking a chance??

post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
If it is indeed a 220 you might think about getting a match for the front, or better yet and set of Pilot Powers. In fact even if it is a 208 I would change it out. On the street you can get away with mix and match as long as you take it easy. On the track it's a whole different story. Ask yourself, is the cost of a tire worth taking a chance??
It's a 220 for sure, after looking at them on Dunlop's site it's obvious by the tread pattern. So if I get another 220 should be ok?

post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 10:50 AM

Get some Metzlers, or Michelins, Or even the Batallax. They all work Great. Even the New Qualifier, Awesome tire.

Or just save up and get some Track Day Tires

post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'd maybe stick to something more trackie. Might help you grip the ground a little better if you are going through a corner sloppy. $200 for nice tires or $2000 to fix the bike?

Not to change the subject, but do you have a steerying damper?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 12:09 PM

True, a little money goes a long way

post #9 of 9 Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amchev
It's a 220 for sure, after looking at them on Dunlop's site it's obvious by the tread pattern. So if I get another 220 should be ok?
I would stay away from using 220's on the track. Treat yourself to a new pair of Pilot Powers.

ragdoll... With the lazy 919 geomertry, a steering damper is not necessary. My old R6 with 87 mm of trail, now that was a different story.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode