Decided to Jet Hot Coat - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Hola Como Estas?

Decided to Jet Hot Coat

As the title states I decided to coat the header. I am having a hell of a time figuring out if I should go with the Sterling or perhaps black them out. I figured since I did the polished lip mod last month Sterling will go well. I am also considering powder coating some of my parts like Mikey, triple tree clamps, headlight brackets, etc...

I will be sending the pipes in next week and hopefully they will be done when I get back in 2 weeks.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

No suggestions but can't wait to hear your impressions. I'm planning to send mine in this Winter to avoid downtime, and am going with the Jet-Hot 1300 in black.

Please post some pics when you ge them back!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
No suggestions but can't wait to hear your impressions. I'm planning to send mine in this Winter to avoid downtime, and am going with the Jet-Hot 1300 in black.

Please post some pics when you ge them back!
How much is that going to cost? I am interested in doing that as well.

post #4 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

I got a quote last Winter -- they will do their regular coating (inside and out) for $130. Not sure if they've had any price changes. ramrod, did you get a quote yet?

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #5 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I don't know if JetHot process has changed for the black since I did my Superhawk system 5 years ago. Then, the finish coating over the ceramic was simple high heat paint and it wasn't worth shiit. Please check with JetHot before you have the black put on and make damn sure that the actual black is ceramic and not just a dress up. I would bo with the sterling knowing what I do, or even the blue for a totally one off look. Just make sure to speak with a tech before you spend the couple hundred bucks or so it costs.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #6 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I don`t know much on this subject,having said that is their a reason why you would send your headers out to Jethot as opposed to using a local paint shop with powder coating capabilities ? Eventually i would like to have all bare metal on my bike powder coated.

post #7 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Temperature is the answer. Powdercoat is cured at about 400 F and is a paint like substance where as JetHot is actually ceramic. The various JetHots are good for temperatures, depending on the coating type of 1200 F to something in the range of 2000 F. Powder coat will burn away at the temperatures our headers run at.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #8 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Temperature is the answer. Powdercoat is cured at about 400 F and is a paint like substance where as JetHot is actually ceramic. The various JetHots are good for temperatures, depending on the coating type of 1200 F to something in the range of 2000 F. Powder coat will burn away at the temperatures our headers run at.
thanks , good looking out.

post #9 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
WoW

I wouldn't do black. Just my .2

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
post #10 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

For me it was either black or corvette grey. I'm not into the chrome look.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #11 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 07:08 PM

Just to give you guys an idea of what black headers would look like:
I don't know who's bike this is or if the headers are painted/powdercoated/ceramic coated

Judging by the dull finish, I would say powdercoat or paint, if I am not mistaken ceramic coat results in a glossy finish (which would look better)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa
or even the blue for a totally one off look
Totally agree, that would look sick (great).

post #12 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Hola Como Estas?

Thanks for the input guys. I am Jet coating it not only for the looks but for the performance increase, *knock on wood*. According to Jet Hot there is a slight performance increase becuase they ceramic coast the inside as well making exhaust flow easier and aid in the scaveging effect.

Chris at Jet Hot qouted me @ $160.00 but if you are in the military they offer %25 discount, which is insane. So it will come out to be ~$120. Not sure if the qoute is higher due to shipping costs to Hawaii. I will keep you posted and I'm right now leaning for the Sterling.

post #13 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I did the jet-hot coat (silver) three years back. Great mod!

They're not so bright as to call them "chrome", but brighter for sure.
Most impressive is how they handle the heat. Pipes are cool very soon after shutoff. Slip-on cans seem to stay cool as well. I know that heat has got to go somewhere, but it seems it stays within the gas and is able to be carried away with the exhaust output.

They're holding up real well to boot.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-30-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Hola Como Estas?

Do you have any recent pics of them?

post #15 of 24 Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

My Mustang exhaust from headers to mufflers are coated (inside and out) and I remember the guy telling me the black is not as durable as the silver. As mentioned in a previous post here, the black is a coating on top of the silver.

post #16 of 24 Old 07-31-2007, 07:53 AM
Cornicen

Many powdercoaters are offering a ceramic powder coating process that holds up to the same temps as Jet Hot. It is $60 a header the last time I checked at my coaters. I have seen many of the small block headers they have done and they look great. They can do them in several different colors. They also offer the near chrome that Semi-Gray spoke of. Once I figure out how I am going to alter my exhaust I will be having mine coated, or I will just do it all out of stainless, hmmm what do I want to do?

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalchoppers View Post
Many powdercoaters are offering a ceramic powder coating process that holds up to the same temps as Jet Hot. It is $60 a header the last time I checked at my coaters. I have seen many of the small block headers they have done and they look great. They can do them in several different colors. They also offer the near chrome that Semi-Gray spoke of. Once I figure out how I am going to alter my exhaust I will be having mine coated, or I will just do it all out of stainless, hmmm what do I want to do?
I wonder how they shoot the inside of exhaust pipes, or if they can? If I remember right, the Jet-Hot video showed a dipping process.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #18 of 24 Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalchoppers View Post
I know some powders handle up to 1200°F, I actually have some that will. I haven't tried it yet, but if my friend ever takes his header off his car, I'll try it. I'd do the header on the bike, but my oven isn't big enough for that.

03 919 (most of it anyway)
post #19 of 24 Old 08-01-2007, 06:33 PM

I did an old CB350's headers in barbque paint and it worked pretty good.
I have also used this ceramic spray paint that you bake on in the oven for small block Ford headers and so far they look good. I would be tempted to get an old oven and a powdercoat kit from Eastwood if I was going to do a bunch of parts.

post #20 of 24 Old 08-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsub View Post
I did an old CB350's headers in barbque paint and it worked pretty good.
I have also used this ceramic spray paint that you bake on in the oven for small block Ford headers and so far they look good. I would be tempted to get an old oven and a powdercoat kit from Eastwood if I was going to do a bunch of parts.
You can build an oven pretty cheap. I spent under $100 building mine and it'll easily fit a 17" car rim in there.

As for powdercoating the inside of a header, i don't think that's possible. The air going in would just blow it out the other end. A dipping process is much better.

03 919 (most of it anyway)
post #21 of 24 Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

My old 750F had jet coated pipes but for a much diff reason.The person I got them from Found that the jet coat was cheaper than new pipes(Kerker's I belive).He talked jetcoat into doing the very rusted out pipes(push a nail through it rusted),They didn't want to at first.Got a very neat look out of it and it lasted him till he sold me the bike and me till I sold the bike far as I know they are still holding-up.

post #22 of 24 Old 04-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Jeremy

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

After reading this forum, do you guys think that just a plan rattle can high heat paint would work. Or would it just flake off?

You only live life once, but if you live it right once is enough
post #23 of 24 Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I rattle canned one of my Turbo exhausts. It's held up fine so far but does scratch easier than ceramic coat or powder coat as one might expect.

post #24 of 24 Old 04-14-2008, 11:41 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghornet View Post
After reading this forum, do you guys think that just a plan rattle can high heat paint would work. Or would it just flake off?
I used Rust-oleum Specialty High Heat on mine about 5 months ago. I spent a great deal of time making sure the headers were completely clean before applying, then hit them with about 6 very light coats allowing 1 hour dry times between coats. It's been like 5 months without chipping or changing color, and I ride at minimum 2x per week. I tried it, fully expecting that I would eventually have to find a more permanent solution, but for now, it still looks great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02135 copy2.jpg (341.7 KB, 38 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode