Deals Gap (cops) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Deals Gap (cops)

Been wanting to head down to the Dragon for my first time. I can handle the road I think, but I've heard from people lately that they have been sending out helicopters to catch speeding bikes.

Is it realistic to really ride the Dragon these days, like the youtube videos? Or are you more likely to get your bike impounded these days?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Two local groups have headed down there a couple of weeks apart and said it was being watched on the Tennessee side. It's a roll of the dice for you. You might hit a clear period, or they may be all over it.

Everybody should ride the Dragon once to say they've done it. After that, it's just another road. Head down to Louisville and take Highway 22 from Crestwood to Falmouth Kentucky. It's about 100 miles of dragonesque roads without the hype, traffic, and enforcement.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Two local groups have headed down there a couple of weeks apart and said it was being watched on the Tennessee side. It's a roll of the dice for you. You might hit a clear period, or they may be all over it.

Everybody should ride the Dragon once to say they've done it. After that, it's just another road. Head down to Louisville and take Highway 22 from Crestwood to Falmouth Kentucky. It's about 100 miles of dragonesque roads without the hype, traffic, and enforcement.

+1. There's lotts'o GREAT riding in the area. Pick up the "Mad Maps" motorcycle roads of the area. If you are riding the Dragon the middle of the week is best. Stop in the store (on the southern end) and chat with the other rides for a road report to see if the Dragon has any current "road hazards" you should be aware of. Have fun!

post #4 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 04:50 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

These 2 sites will give you plenty of dragon info-

http://killboy.blogspot.com/

www.tailofthedragon.com
post #5 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Was there in June......... Zero issues Mon thru Thur.

2 patrol cars at end of Dragon..... actually cool cops.

As long as you ride the Dragon, and NOT treat it as a race track, you will have no issues with LEO

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #6 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Don't play unless you're willing to pay.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ghlight=dragon

Go during the middle of the week, don't ride over your head and find the better roads in the area.

If you want to ride fast while learning and being safe, take your bike to the track. NESBA offers a free introduction to track riding with very little in prep for you or the bike.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

Go to a track day.
No cops, no drivers.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I would be more concerned with other riders that don't know what the hell they are doing coming the other direction....

+ $5

post #9 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

And no Dogs, gravel, grannies,farmers, semis , red necks with oi lelaking vechicles etc. -

Yo ucan have fun up there, but, just keep the hooliginism to a min.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 PM

I was just there last week. Didn't see any cops and minimal traffic. It had just stopped raining though so that may have kept some folks away. The trees are much too dense for a helicopter to be of any use for catching speeders I would think. I'd recommend you take a ride though at a relaxed, legal pace to scope out the road, then if all is clear have fun, just stay in your lane, be prepared to find your lane blocked in blind turns by cages or poorly ridden bikes and don't get too squidly in the straights. The turns are plentiful and tight enough that you can have serious fun without going terribly fast.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-23-2008, 02:34 PM
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I got a ticket for improper passing a couple weekends back, for passing at regular speed on a double yellow line.. they were all over everone that weekend.. No fun to ride anymore. U have to watch ever move u make or get stuck with a big hefty fine.

Visit the most active online motorcycle
community in the East TN/Western NC area at ....

http://www.TnAdvRiders.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode