Dead 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 09:51 AM
TX919

Unhappy Dead 919

Wouldn't you know...we get a nice day here in TX, I don't have to work and my bike won't start. Worse yet, it looks to be a little more complicated than the usual dead battery, which appears to be fully charged. The usuall whine that occurs when the key is turned on but before the starter is engaged is ominously missing. I assume this is the FI charging. I also note that the red FI light is on and stays lit after the guages cycle. I am not sure if this normally stays on until started or if it should go off at some point. Normally I start the bike within a couple of seconds after turning it to "on" and it goes out. I have checked the fuses that goes to the FI and starter (first and last in fuse box) and they appear to be good. The manual does not offer any further help.

The bike is an 2006 919 with the only electrical mods, at least at the momement, to the turn signals (front and rear), which all seam to still work correctly. I am running CF Satos but do not think this would have anything to do with the issue.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. For now, I will just sulk as I watch out my box or cage at the sunshine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

If there is a FI issue the light usually flashes a certain number of times. The # of times it flashes relates to a specific fault. A steady light is working as it should. Check yor fuel pump. That is the whining noise if i am correct. There is currently a thread for a pdf format service manual. Download it. That should answer any question you may have.

post #3 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Check your kill and sidestand switches. (sidestand if you're in gear) There's also the fuel cut relay for the bike being on it's side.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

post #5 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 10:36 AM
TX919

Thanks for the good suggestions. I tried the link for the manual, but it is not longer available. I did a search to see if it was posted somewhere else but no luck. I did, however, read some good debate on copy write laws.

I went to the garage and tried the side stand thing, but it didn't work. However, I am feeling a bit silly now after realizing I must have accidentally hit the kill switch last time I rode. Since I never use it, this would not be my first thought. Looks like the moral to this story is check the easy stuff before looking for the big hairy gremlins.

This forum rocks! Where else can you get help quick enough to save a sunny day for the important things......exploring some winding country roads. (at posted speeds of course.)

p.s. I wonder how much Honda would have charged to fix this if I took it in???

post #6 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Have a nice ride. I will be there in spirit. The temperatures here are good for only one thing. Building Ice.

post #7 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

kill switch?!
oh, you're going to get razzed for that one!
don't worry, i'll probably do it next.

post #8 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

That's why it was my first suggestion. Don't worry. We've all done it at one time or another.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 11:46 AM

I have done this on motorcycles, and on snowmobiles, all times it sucked!

Somehow I managed to bump the kill switch at a stop sign in the middle of the road, so then I pushed my bike to the side of the road and fiddled for 5 minutes before I figured out what the hell happened (on main street).

post #10 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 02:32 PM
TX919

Thanks for not completely roasting me. It is very humbling. I have ridden for years and never used the kill switch for anything other than annoying a buddy at a stop light by hitting his as the light changes. So what is the real use for this button? Is it just in case the thing goes WO (yes leaving out the F was intentional, family friendly version) and you don't want to take your hands off the bars to shut down?

In any event, it was a great ride today. Having lived in both northern and southern climates, I really feel for you in the snow belt. Here are a couple of pics from a rest stop along the way. 55 degrees, light southerly breeze and blue skies.

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side.jpg (59.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Back.jpg (66.2 KB, 54 views)

post #11 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Okay, it was all good until you posted pics with sunshine and warm weather. Now it's time to ridicule. j/k

The kill switch is for emergency, like you go down and bike on top of you and you need to shut her down quick, etc. For example, let say you start her up in the driveway and have a fuel leak and flames are shooting up around the ignition switch about 28 feet high and you don't have any weiners to roast other than your own. Hit the kill switch.

post #12 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

done the same in a center turning lane after deciding to pull into the driveway across a not busy lane at the moment it dies and i go what the he!! fiddle a sec or too and proceded to push it across while still sitting on it. Seamed like forever crossing the road, only to find once across duh.. kill switch!! still haven't figured out how i did that. But still felt like an idot.

post #13 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Who has to know?

I only use the key to turn off my bikes. I agree with you, the switch is there for emergency shut-off. On my V-star, and other bikes, the ignition cylinder is on the side of the bike. Imagine if the bike fell onto that side, it may make it impossible to turn off the bike with the key. The bike would be wrecked, fuel pump still pumping away, sparks flying, etc.

post #14 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX919 View Post
So what is the real use for this button? Is it just in case the thing goes WO (yes leaving out the F was intentional, family friendly version) and you don't want to take your hands off the bars to shut down?
:

When I took the MSF course, the instructor took us through the basic operation of a street bike and insisted that we shut down the engine using the rocker kill switch first.
It has become routine for me and I suppose if the feces ever impacted the rotary air handling system, I'd reach for that little switch.....or not....

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #15 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
When I took the MSF course, the instructor took us through the basic operation of a street bike and insisted that we shut down the engine using the rocker kill switch first.
It has become routine for me and I suppose if the feces ever impacted the rotary air handling system, I'd reach for that little switch.....or not....
That's how I shut mine down. Of course, you have to remember to turn the key off or you'll have a dead battery.

post #16 of 41 Old 02-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Been there, done that.

Won't happen on the 919, but I will bet many of you, like me, have spent a bunch of time trying to start a bike with the fuel turned off. Or had the fun of a 2-stroke dirt bike running out of fuel as you hit the whoop-de-do's and the bike takes you for a ride.

post #17 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX919 View Post
I have ridden for years and never used the kill switch for anything other than annoying a buddy at a stop light by hitting his as the light changes.
[soapbox]Okay, I'm going to sound like a jerk here, but I don't care. Hitting a buddy's kill switch at a light isn't funny. A driver who isn't paying attention could easily hit them. It might cause your buddy to try and start moving and accidentally drop the bike. I've never found this kind of thing funny and I never will. If you want to mess with your buddy at a light, just nudge his mirror out of whack or something harmless like that.[/soapbox]

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #18 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

holdup soapbox boy
i'm all for riding safely, not causing harm to others, etc.
but how could a guy drop his bike just because (basically) his engine stalled? if a guy is so incompetant that he drops the thing just because the engine stopped, not only should no one be riding with him he shouldn't even be riding himself
i pictured two dudes at a light with no cars around, light turning green, and prankster friend riding off while victim friend angrily restarts his bike then flies like hell to catch up. too childish for me (i'm a grouch) but kind of funny still.

post #19 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
i'm all for riding safely, not causing harm to others, etc.
but how could a guy drop his bike just because (basically) his engine stalled? if a guy is so incompetant that he drops the thing just because the engine stopped, not only should no one be riding with him he shouldn't even be riding himself
i pictured two dudes at a light with no cars around, light turning green, and prankster friend riding off while victim friend angrily restarts his bike then flies like hell to catch up. too childish for me (i'm a grouch) but kind of funny still.
I didn't say it was likely, just possible. This might be funny in a parking lot, but not on the street.

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #20 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

I unknowingly hit the kill switch on my ST 1300 while riding to work one morning. After some quick walkaround diagnosis attempts, I noticed the kill switch. It happens to most of us I think. Kind of a rite of passage

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #21 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 07:09 AM
thunder_jay

Yeah, I had that problem yesterday morning. I took my tank off and was looking around and put it back together. The next morning, yesterday, it wouldn't start. The lights would come on but the pump would not turn on. I couldn't figure it out, took the tank off and checked connections but found nothing. I happened to notice the kill switch and was glad it was not more.

Joshua

post #22 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Unbannable

I've always used my kill switch because when I started on dirtbikes that was the only way to shut it off. I don't understand the logic of the people who say you must use your key. I don't think it makes any differance.

post #23 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I've always used my kill switch because when I started on dirtbikes that was the only way to shut it off. I don't understand the logic of the people who say you must use your key. I don't think it makes any differance.
It doesn't make a difference until you forget to turn the ignition off and come back to a dead battery

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #24 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
It doesn't make a difference until you forget to turn the ignition off and come back to a dead battery
+1
You're going to turn the key off regardless, so why add the extra step? I see the kill switch as an emergency device in the event of a stuck throttle, the aforementioned pillar of flame, or other such maladies.

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #25 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Who has to know?

I drove a friend to the motorcycle dealer so he could pick up his newly purchased bike. When the guy was giving a basic demo of the bike, he implied something along the lines of the kill switches going bad from constant use. It happens frequently enough for him to point it out... I doubt it happens too often, and they are probably cheap, but it has stuck with me. Using the switch or the key is all the same, so why not keep the switch unused.

He also suggested using hi-beam during the day and lo-beam at night, to spread out the work, prolonging bulb life. Once again, cheap and infrequent but...

post #26 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

the kill sw is handy when you're working on the bike with the tank off & you need to key-on without the pump running

post #27 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 10:09 AM
HotCarl73

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

I had my girlfriend on the back of my first bike, 71 Honda CB500, which I had been riding at least 300 or 400 miles a week for 6 years to work and for fun. All of a sudden it died pulling away from a light. I screwed around with a bunch of stuff, and couldn't get it started. We walked a mile or two through the ghetto at night and called my mom from a payphone. When she got there i had to lift the bike straight up into the back of the pickup, and laid it on it's side. When we got home, I lifted it out of the truck and saw that the petcock was turned to off. I always rode that bike until it started cutting out, then switched to reserve and had 30 miles to find a gas station. When it cut out with the old lady on the back, I for some unknown reason turned the fuel to OFF instead of RESERVE like i had thousands of times before. So i switched to reserve and it started right up. I was so excited to have my baby back that i decided to celebrate by attempting a wheely in front of the house in front of the family. They were very impressed by the shower of sparks shooting out of the transmission, and on the other side the kick starter was spinning wildly and smashing into my leg. When the bike stopped The whole thing engine and trans were locked up solid. It never ran again. It sat on the side of the house for years while i drove a van instead of riding. I got tired of looking at it and one day ran it over while i was parking the van. I went back and forth over it a few times and then got out to take a look with my brother. The bike was sure run over but it had broken one of the blinkers on the van. That pissed me off even more. My brother and I chopped the bike up with an axe into more manageable pieces, then threw it all into the back of the van and dumped it out in the desert. All this from a brain fart. Remember to check the easy and obvious stuff first.

post #28 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

You know, not to be a smartass, but maybe the reason I have never done this is because I was initially taught to use the kill switch to shut off the engine, not the key. Positive habit transfer...

-Joe
post #29 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLittleSecret View Post
I drove a friend to the motorcycle dealer so he could pick up his newly purchased bike. When the guy was giving a basic demo of the bike, he implied something along the lines of the kill switches going bad from constant use. It happens frequently enough for him to point it out... I doubt it happens too often, and they are probably cheap, but it has stuck with me. Using the switch or the key is all the same, so why not keep the switch unused.

He also suggested using hi-beam during the day and lo-beam at night, to spread out the work, prolonging bulb life. Once again, cheap and infrequent but...
I don't know about the switch thing, but using your hi-beam during the day can be a safety measure too. Supposedly it's illegal in some states, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find a cop that noticed.

-Joe
post #30 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCarl73 View Post
I got tired of looking at it and one day ran it over while i was parking the van. I went back and forth over it a few times and then got out to take a look with my brother. The bike was sure run over but it had broken one of the blinkers on the van. That pissed me off even more. My brother and I chopped the bike up with an axe into more manageable pieces, then threw it all into the back of the van and dumped it out in the desert.
Geesh man! This paints quite a mental picture! It reminds me of a story when I lived in the San Francisco Bay area:

At the toll booth on the Oakland side of the Oakland-Bay bridge, police noticed a man walking down the bridge on the abreviated sidewalk (if you can call it that, there's no provision on that bridge for pedestrians).
When questioned, he claimed that his dual-sport bike had died for the last time up on the bridge and he had hoisted it over the railing into the bay several stories below................Splash!............
Since no evidence could be recovered, the man was not fined.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #31 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
I don't know about the switch thing, but using your hi-beam during the day can be a safety measure too. Supposedly it's illegal in some states, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find a cop that noticed.
Don't vehicles with Daytime Running Lights use their high beams during the day?

I always use high beam except in low light conditions, this means that when your bulb burns out you only lose your high beam so you can keep riding without pissing everyone off. High beam should make you that much more visible too.

post #32 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I'm pretty sure DRL don't run high beams. You'd still piss people off in a car if you ran high beams all day. I'll have to double-check this theory later today.

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #33 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919 View Post
I'm pretty sure DRL don't run high beams. You'd still piss people off in a car if you ran high beams all day. I'll have to double-check this theory later today.
Highbeams are not at all bright during the day, most people probably couldn't tell you had high beams on.

post #34 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
Highbeams are not at all bright during the day, most people probably couldn't tell you had high beams on.
Actually, depending on the angle, it is very easy to tell hi-beam from low beam. Most daytime running lights, if not all, run on low beam.

-Joe
post #35 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
It isn't the brightness of high beams that would piss people off. Having a flashlight shining in your eyes in the middle of the day is still not fun, same principle applies to high beams. You'd still be blasting people in the eyeballs with high beams, regardless of the fact that ambient light is greater during the day.

If there wasn't much of a difference, what would be the point in running the high beam on the bike during the day?

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #36 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Milites Gregarius

well... I've done this often enough that I listen for the fuel pump whine when I turn on the key.. if I don't hear it I check the kill switch...as for key or kill switch to turn off the bike.. whatever is handy..

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #37 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 PM
TX919

Quote:
[soapbox]Okay, I'm going to sound like a jerk here, but I don't care. Hitting a buddy's kill switch at a light isn't funny. A driver who isn't paying attention could easily hit them. It might cause your buddy to try and start moving and accidentally drop the bike. I've never found this kind of thing funny and I never will. If you want to mess with your buddy at a light, just nudge his mirror out of whack or something harmless like that.[/soapbox]
Just to set the record straight, the last time I did this was over twenty years ago, and there were no cars in sight. And no, he didn't catch me. Although he did lock me in a porta pottie a week or so later. I would have preferred the kill switch prank.

post #38 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Cornicen

besides cars i can't think of anything with an engine that doesn't have a kill switch. i think even harleys have em .

post #39 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Tesserarius

Did he kick the porta-pottie over with you inside?

post #40 of 41 Old 02-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCarl73 View Post
....That pissed me off even more. My brother and I chopped the bike up with an axe into more manageable pieces, then threw it all into the back of the van and dumped it out in the desert. All this from a brain fart. Remember to check the easy and obvious stuff first.

Pure GOLD, that story is. Dear lord that's funny sh!t!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode