Darkside 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 51 Old 12-30-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Darkside 919?

Be gentle with me guys as this is my first street bike since 1969. All others have been Goldwings and Maxiscooters. I ran darkside on my Wings and presently on my Burgman 650. For obvious reasons I get 3-4x the mileage on them. Has anyone ever gone darkside on a 919? I mostly commute or tour on mine and don't ride track and haven't gotten aggressive yet in cornering. Is this a bad idea and is it doable?

Dan

2005 Honda 919. (Hercules)
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive (Iron Maiden)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Here's my uneducated opinion.

If darksiding was a good thing, the MotoGP would be using the darkside.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #3 of 51 Old 12-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Milites Gregarius

I had to look that up - never heard of that before, running car tires on a bike.

I imagine you would lose some of what is so attractive about the hornet - interesting handling characteristics. Running dark side, I would not get a hornet.

2005 Honda CB919F
2003 Honda CBR954RR (sold)
1990's Suzuki TS200 (sold)
1987 Kawasaki Ninja 750R (sold)
1984 Kawasaki GPz 550 (sold)
Dirt Bikes
post #4 of 51 Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Cornicen

I had to google darkside to figure out what it is. Wow. Reserving judgement.

What are you trying to achieve? I've droned on the highway with my Pilot Powers and never had a problem.

post #5 of 51 Old 12-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

If you're going to darkside the 919, you're not riding the right bike to begin with.

I think it is unsafe to darkside a bike where the chasis, engine, and bars are designed for you to lean it over and then go put a tire that is designed not to lean.

I don't know how you could possible slow the front end down to align with a darkside rear tire. The more I think of this, the more I am convinced it's a bad application for any type of sport bike.

post #6 of 51 Old 12-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Pilus Posterior

I don't have a link, but I remember the article from years ago that stated the traction around a corner was the same as when going straight. In addition, if you don't lean when on 2 wheels, you tend to fall over. Just like when a car leans to the outside, wanting to continue the same direction as you turn.

I've seen the 3 wheeled vehicles and they are different, even those ATV's from the old days went 4 wheels. Flat tires on real motorcycle is simply a bad idea.

Can't see any good coming out of this.

What would anyone expect to gain from this? Straight line traction? Ok, maybe a drag bike, but not on something that rides in traffic.

post #7 of 51 Old 12-30-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Thanks guys for your feedback. The darkside debate is a hot issue on many motorcycle forums and I'm not here to promote or defend it as others have done that and further inquiry can be researched. Neither have I said that I plan to go darkside with my 919 as I was merely curious if anyone has? The lean angles on cruisers and tourers is much less than a sport bike as this is popular with bigger bikes. Again, for obvious reasons one goes darkside for greater longevity on tire wear. And I would tend to agree that besides performance it would probably look odd. Most rear tires on Wings are rather hidden so appearance is not an issue. I was planning on ordering P4's and the question popped in my mind. Nice to see you're all in consensus. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dan

Dan

post #8 of 51 Old 12-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I've seen the 3 wheeled vehicles and they are different, even those ATV's from the old days went 4 wheels. Flat tires on real motorcycle is simply a bad idea.
I own a Honda Aero trike and have owned a couple of other's. Very different than a 3 wheeled ATV which I also owned years ago. The problem with 3 wheels on an ATV is more use related than anything else. The relatively short wheelbase causes them to be prone to rolling on side hills (this really won't happen on a trike motorcycle). The other problem was the lighter weight in the front on ATV's (one wheel compared to two), thus they flipped easier...particularly when people put a rider on the back.

Motorcycle trikes are very different than 2 wheeled motorcycles, and steer very different. They are quite safe tho...due to a much wider wheel base in both directions compared to an ATV. They wear out front tires fairly quickly because only the center patch is ever in use because there is no lean. This is probably the biggest problem with rear wheeled trikes. You need that rubber up front to be good. In the trike community there has been a lot of talk about car tires on the front to get better wear.

I can't see it on a 2 wheeled bike. It would seem to me that the square tire profile would actually be dangerous in turns. It would seem that the tire would want to hold you up as you turn...not allow lean. Isn't that why motorcycle tires have tread on the sides? And the round profile? To maintain traction in turns and allow you to lean?

2007 CB900F 919
2009 GS500F
2004 Honda Trike
2000 Honda Sabre 1100
1998 Kawasaki Vulcan
1975 Norton 850 Commando
1967 Triumph Bonneville
1987 CBR600 Hurricane RR Conversion
1990 CBR600 Hurricane White Gray
1988 CBR600 Hurricane Red Black
post #9 of 51 Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
I was planning on ordering P4's and the question popped in my mind.
Running car tires on motorcycles is not a new idea. It's been pretty successful with touring bikes that are heavy and carry heavy weight.

There's youtube video of a Goldwing running car tires doing the dragon, It was pretty fun to watch and the dude rode it hard.

I don't see it being an issue on heavy cruisers/touring bikes with limited lean.

For the 919, I would think that if you mount a car tire on the rear, you'd be missing a whole lot of potential to have fun. Especially when you hit upside the head with what the 919 is just capable of compared to what you're used to riding in the twisties.

PR4s will serve you well. I've gotten 12k miles out of my PR2 rear and heard that the PR4s were supposed to be even better.

post #10 of 51 Old 01-01-2015, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Running car tires on motorcycles is not a new idea. It's been pretty successful with touring bikes that are heavy and carry heavy weight.

There's youtube video of a Goldwing running car tires doing the dragon, It was pretty fun to watch and the dude rode it hard.

I don't see it being an issue on heavy cruisers/touring bikes with limited lean.

For the 919, I would think that if you mount a car tire on the rear, you'd be missing a whole lot of potential to have fun. Especially when you hit upside the head with what the 919 is just capable of compared to what you're used to riding in the twisties.

PR4s will serve you well. I've gotten 12k miles out of my PR2 rear and heard that the PR4s were supposed to be even better.
That's in line with my thoughts too. The contact patch on a GW never rolls up on the side walls. Some have had some nasty blow outs and gotten hurt real bad and have gone to run flats. My wife wrecked her car and with a high deductible, there went my tire money. But....a buddy of mine has a VFR and has tires with only 500 miles and has offered me his for free as he's looking at a different tire he wants more. And he has a tire machine and can mount too. So, the P4's will wait for now.

Dan

post #11 of 51 Old 01-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

I rode a guys vtx1800 with a car tire on the rear. he was bragging about how it handled and he could not tell the difference from bike tire to car tire. I noticed how much it handled like shit before I left the parking lot. I would not take it into traffic for any amount of money. my life is worth to much to me.
I had to force it to lean and stay leaned and if the road crowned at all it wants to drive to the down side of the road which in my case was the ditch. granted I understand WHY he did it. he keeps wearing out the center of his tire everyother year.
he thinks im stupid for HOPING I wear mine out in the fall, but only so I can have fresh ones in the spring that have not sat on concrete all winter.

and counting
post #12 of 51 Old 01-01-2015, 08:43 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

When I had a 919, my favorite tire was the Continental Road Attack. I got the best longevity out of that tire. I did at least one track day on one. Get a set of those and love the alternative/bizarre to some one else.

post #13 of 51 Old 01-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

I had a set of road attacks once when I had my 9er, rear tire lasted about 2500 miles replace that one and again gone rear fast about 4k miles though when that one got replace it was due to a messed up front the rear had a little left to give.
the first one died though because I took it to texas with me when I went to the motortrike factory/ training and I had a 40 mile commute 1 way and what looked like crushed stone glued to the road, also had to drive 80 so I would not get run over. that chewed the crap outa that rear tire.
I would rather replace a tire every thousand miles than to run a car tire. the day I think I will put a car tire on my bike to save some money I will sell the bike and buy a prius

and counting
post #14 of 51 Old 01-01-2015, 03:34 PM
The Instigator

Car tires are the Scientology of our Motorcycle World

post #15 of 51 Old 01-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Left of Centre

What's the motivation? Is it to avoid the replacement of motorcycle tyres?

post #16 of 51 Old 01-01-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
What's the motivation? Is it to avoid the replacement of motorcycle tyres?
Yes, greater tire mileage and no dangerous blow outs causing loss of control on run flats. Running darkside is popular with heavy tourers and cruisers.

Dan

post #17 of 51 Old 01-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Yes, greater tire mileage and no dangerous blow outs causing loss of control on run flats. Running darkside is popular with heavy tourers and cruisers.
Michelin makes a GT version of the PR4 for heavier bikes, but the regular is exactly what you want. You could run higher pressures to minimize the tire patch I guess? How many miles do you do every year? I don't hear of blowouts on bikes our size.

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #18 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 05:13 AM
Honda919Rider #1

Quote:
Darksided bikes work great in the intended application. It has for longer than most of us have been alive.

This forum is full of narrow minded individuals wearing blinders with their heads firmly stuck up their asses, so take some of what you have read with a grain of salt.

And don't let them distract you from the few like-minded people here, as I have.

post #19 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 06:08 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

Interesting read....but you won't see car tires on any of my bikes...EVER

:buell:
post #20 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 AM
Tirone

It would seem that a fundamental basic element of motorcycle tire design is being purposely ignored in going to the 'dark side', and that is the relationship of the tire profile to your ability to corner successfully. The rounded profile of a motorcycle tire can be likened to a styrofoam cup on it's side. The decreasing circumference relates directly to your ability to initially turn in, and further, your ability to tighten up or loosen your path. 'Darksiding' ignores every single element of tire design for motorcycles as well as automobiles with the exception of upright tire wear (compound, bead design, carcass design, tread patttern). The load capacity of Continental's Contimotion tires suggests that at it's limit it could be used on a car, and at $75 they are as cheap as some car tires. I would like to see the outcome of a fitment in that order...or not. This subject really is not a question of opinion, and frankly those that would support such a venture reflect ignorance.

post #21 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 06:55 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper714 View Post
This subject really is not a question of opinion, and frankly those that would support such a venture reflect ignorance.
well said. Just because it fits, it doesn't mean it belongs there.

post #22 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
TWSS!

Spoiler:

post #23 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
TWSS!

post #24 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 AM
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Darksided bikes work great in the intended application. It has for longer than most of us have been alive.

This forum is full of narrow minded individuals wearing blinders with their heads firmly stuck up their asses, so take some of what you have read with a grain of salt.

And don't let them distract you from the few like-minded people here, as I have.
Just to be clear that intended application is boring a f### might as well take a convertible

post #25 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Discen

You guys are a hoot. It's interesting how so many appear to be an expert on motorcycle tires. The darkside topic is perhaps one of the most volitile on m/c forums and there are many who could toe to toe with you on this subject. I'm not one of those who brave such a crusade or have the energy or desire but suffice it to say I've had good results on my Wings and Maxiscooters with car tires. So, this is my last say on the matter. You guys can now duke it out amongst yourselves.

Dan

post #26 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Left of Centre

I don't need to be any kind of expert to understand the concept; this pic tells me all I need to know on the subject:

post #27 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Tirone

26x4.0 Mission | Fat Tire | MTB Tire | Folding bead Hercules could try these as well, keep one in the back pocket just in case. It is valid, unimpeachable, cutting edge, and has a super cool, groovy name that recalls space travel.

post #28 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Milites Gregarius

Actually, on one of those bikes I can now see the sense in putting on a car tire! (looks to me like it's not grinding bc of the tire but rather bc of the low clearance).

Quote:
I don't need to be any kind of expert to understand the concept; this pic tells me all I need to know on the subject:

2005 Honda CB919F
Dirt Bikes
post #29 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 01:50 PM
The Instigator

Quote:
You guys are a hoot. It's interesting how so many appear to be an expert on motorcycle tires. The darkside topic is perhaps one of the most volitile on m/c forums and there are many who could toe to toe with you on this subject. I'm not one of those who brave such a crusade or have the energy or desire but suffice it to say I've had good results on my Wings and Maxiscooters with car tires. So, this is my last say on the matter. You guys can now duke it out amongst yourselves.
Id honestly consider it for a trip to alaska on a fjr or something. Im sure it's a hell of a smooth ride. However, anyone that thinks their car tire handles well in the canyons doesn't have a real good grasp on what their bike is doing with the right tire.

It doesn't take an expert to know a motorcycle tire would make a car handle funny either, just a little common sense, very little actually.

post #30 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

FYI, I deleted some posts. Keep it nice and keep it on topic. Thanks folks.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #31 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 05:55 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Keep it nice and keep it on topic. Thanks folks.
who is this? Someone hacked googl3it user name.

post #32 of 51 Old 01-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
who is this? Someone hacked googl3it user name.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #33 of 51 Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

This post seems well thought out with responses from tire manufacturers etc.
Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles | Rider Magazine

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #34 of 51 Old 01-05-2015, 02:12 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Turns out this interracial tire swapping is catching on!

image-3018607362.jpg

image-4256390606.jpg

post #35 of 51 Old 01-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
This post seems well thought out with responses from tire manufacturers etc.
Tales From the Dark Side: Putting Car Tires on Motorcycles | Rider Magazine

Thanks for the link.

post #36 of 51 Old 01-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by op_man1 View Post
looks to me like it's not grinding bc of the tire but rather bc of the low clearance.
It wasn't the grinding that caught my eye so much as the clear view of what's happening for the tyre ...

post #37 of 51 Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
It wasn't the grinding that caught my eye so much as the clear view of what's happening for the tyre ...
I would be interested to test ride that just for curiosity...

2005 Honda CB919F
Dirt Bikes
post #38 of 51 Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Princeps Prior

This argument sounds like the atgatt / gear arguments

post #39 of 51 Old 01-06-2015, 12:33 AM
Left of Centre

I don't think it's even an argument, I think it's a Great Schism.

I can see why it's called the Dark Side.

post #40 of 51 Old 01-06-2015, 04:41 AM
Immune

I am still wondering why it matters; if someone wants to do it, then that's there preference. People have done it for years with great results. Does it handle as good as a pilot 2CT, no. Will it ride better, last longer, and do a smokier burn out, definitely. If we all wen't with the statuesque, the world would be a very boring place.

I run the continental motion on the rear of mine, I get about 10k out of it. I spend plenty of time at my max GVW doing 80-85 on the interstate. The tire handles good on the corners once its warmed up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode