DanMoto Carbon GP Exhausts [CB919/Honda Hornet] - An Honest Review - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By The End

post #1 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919

DanMoto Carbon GP Exhausts [CB919/Honda Hornet] - An Honest Review

After much deliberation and wanting a nicer sounding exhaust for my 2007 Honda Hornet (CB919), I decided to purchase a set of DanMoto Carbon GP exhausts. - At the time of purchase they were $350 NZD including shipping.

I had done plenty of research about DanMoto's pipes and had read many positive reviews about them, however there were a few negative reviews which left me somewhat hesitant. Given the low price I thought 'why not' and went ahead an ordered a set on February 24th. I also ordered a set of baffles in case I decided the exhausts were too loud (as many reviews had indicated).

Fast forward to March 3rd and they had arrived - pretty quick from China to New Zealand.

The exhausts arrived extremely well packaged, covered in a thick layer of bubble wrap and were spotless upon opening the box. The baffles were packaged separately and were floating around the box.

My first reaction was that they were much lighter than the stock exhausts and also much better looking. The overall build quality looked impressive given the price and general consensus of Chinese made products. The welds looked spot on (although I am no engineer) and the carbon fibre weaving was also very tidy.

The installation process was a bit more complex given no instructions were included except for a generic picture of how the exhaust and slip on part fit together.

Given a bit of time thinking, I was able to use the included bracket with the stock exhaust bolt and some washers I had laying around to fit the bracket on to the Hornet's frame. I had to tighten the clamp which fits around the exhaust and the mid-pipe very tight to stop the mid pipe sliding off the 1-in-to-2 part of the exhaust system.

After a bit more tinkering to get things looking tidy, I put the bike back together and pushed it out of the garage, eager with anticipation at how my beloved bike would sound.

My first reaction upon starting the bike was a huge smile and trying very hard not to rev the bike to its loudest. The exhausts have a deep growl at idle are much louder than the stock exhausts.

After taking the bike for a longer ride I can definitely agree with previous reviews in saying that the DanMoto Carbon GP exhausts without the baffle are incredibly loud. I ride with foam ear plugs in my ear and sitting at the traffic lights or riding at <70km/h the deep growl is loud and noticeable.

Above 100km/h the sound of the exhausts when riding at a constant speed is reasonable and I would say about the same noise as the wind at that speed. However the second you snap your wrist and accelerate you get a brief, loud tone which resonates through the body.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I put the baffles in, yes I don't want to lose my hearing, however I don't want to lose the nice tone either.

Overall I am very pleased with the exhausts from DanMoto. The install process wasn't the easiest, however once I found a way to mount the exhausts with some spare parts I had laying around they fit nicely. The build quality looks great and the sound is amazing.

CB 919 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Centurion

Garage
That looks pretty nice definitely painting the lower part of the exhaust and the bracket black though...

post #3 of 25 Old 03-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Centurion

Garage
Mine just arrived in the mail... best...monday....EVER!!

post #4 of 25 Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 PM
Centurion

Garage
so not such a good monday lol. I don't have anything to fill in the 3cm gap between the little bracket and the bike. Stock exhaust had that by default. I have a few questions:
1. What kind of washer did you use? If i find a spacer would that also be good?
2. It seems that the little bracket itself is too long to be able to put perpendicular to the ground. Did you point it forward/backward or did you bend it (outwards) ?
3. did you focus on tightening the exhaust bracket (under the seat) first or the midpipe first?...

Thanks for sharing still a mechanical noob without his own garage.

I'm so dissapointed that I couldn't put them on today :'(

post #5 of 25 Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
1. What kind of washer did you use? If i find a spacer would that also be good?
2. It seems that the little bracket itself is too long to be able to put perpendicular to the ground. Did you point it forward/backward or did you bend it (outwards) ?
3. did you focus on tightening the exhaust bracket (under the seat) first or the midpipe first?...
1) I cut off about an inch of garden hose and jammed it in there (see pic) as a temporary measure until I get around to finding a permanent solution this weekend. When you tighten the bolt on, it compresses the garden hose creating a secure fit. I also used the stock bolt as it was longer. I'm thinking long term a piece of small PVC piping will create a solid spacer and perhaps cutting the bracket shorter will allow it to be fit perpendicular to the ground

2) The bracket is too long to have perpendicular to the ground so I pointed it backwards (see pic).

3) I tightened the exhaust bracket under the seat first, and then attached it to the midpipe. If you do up the bracket firmly, but with enough to wiggle, you can then adjust it to fit the midpipe.

I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to get the stock exhaust shields to fit on with the Dan Moto exhausts. Perhaps not the full shield, but at least the lower part to cover up the ugly join between exhaust outlet and the midpipe. I swear I saw a post about it somewhere...just have to find it.

post #6 of 25 Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Centurion

Garage
Sweet. Thanks a lot for the info

post #7 of 25 Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

You're also missing the little rubber stopper on that seat hook. That can cause some play and slop in the seat... just wrap it with electrical tape.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #8 of 25 Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post
1)

Do you know what size that screw is? mostly interested in it's diameter. Might drop by Canadian tire and get this little box: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bu...l#.VP8lROFhR1A

post #9 of 25 Old 03-10-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
You're also missing the little rubber stopper on that seat hook. That can cause some play and slop in the seat... just wrap it with electrical tape.
Huh, never knew there was meant to be one. Been like that since I got it. Thanks for the heads up.

post #10 of 25 Old 03-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

This video might show what they look like

Honda 919 Seat Play fix:

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 01:26 AM
Centurion

Garage
so i finally got them on the bike. i added 3 steel nuts with 4 washers (between each nut and end) and that made the space that the stock exhauts had. It turns out its a bit more difficult to place them on the right side because you have a slight bulge in the plastic/body due to the electrical stuff under the seat on the right side. So I had to put the nut on the outside unlike the left side where i put it on the interior. All in all they are a solid fit.

This is the first set of non stock exhausts that I have and they are pretty loud AND i put the baffles in as well... Can't imagine without them I still want to get some ear plugs though...Feels like I just came out of the club when the engine stops... We'll see on the long run though...

Any ear plug recommendations :P ?

post #12 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 02:22 AM
Tirone

Garage
Hearos Xtreme Protection Series Ear Plugs 14 Pairs | eBay

I rock these. I'm not sure if that's the best price as I buy them at a local store. They are great and comfortable and I just throw them away as they get dirty. Much more comfortable highway riding, cuts the wind noise.

post #13 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 02:29 AM
Left of Centre

post #14 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post

This is the first set of non stock exhausts that I have and they are pretty loud AND i put the baffles in as well... Can't imagine without them I still want to get some ear plugs though...Feels like I just came out of the club when the engine stops... We'll see on the long run though...

Can you post up some pics of the washers etc. you have in there?

Yeah I don't have the baffles in at the moment and it is very loud, seems to work for letting the traffic know I am coming though. Gonna put the baffles in this weekend.

post #15 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 07:25 AM
PB

I bought these:

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs

I was able to get 2 sets out of the material which had the added benefit of keeping them low profile. They're very comfortable and take out the harshness without removing too much sound.

post #16 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Can you post up some pics of the washers etc. you have in there?

Yeah I don't have the baffles in at the moment and it is very loud, seems to work for letting the traffic know I am coming though. Gonna put the baffles in this weekend.
I'll try to get some pics after work today. If not i'll have to see when I have some free time to open it up again. It's quite a nice fit with the 4 washers and 3 nuts. But I'll take a pic and post here asap

post #17 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Centurion

Garage
earplug wise Should I bother looking into these: http://www.amazon.ca/DownBeats-Reusa...ing+Protection or should i just get the cheapest ones out there ? It seems pretty convenient to have them in your key chain vs always remembering to have your little box of ear plugs with you...

post #18 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 10:00 AM
PB

Those ones I linked to come with a little drawstring baggie. I just keep it in my helmet at home and throw the baggie in a pocket when I head out.

post #19 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB_ESQ View Post
Those ones I linked to come with a little drawstring baggie. I just keep it in my helmet at home and throw the baggie in a pocket when I head out.
How much sound do they block? It seems that with a custom fit it would create a perfect seal therefore the sound entering your ear would depend on how much the material would let through...

The "issue" with the exhaust note is the frequency. Add a bit of loud to that and when I shut the engine off i feel that I just stepped out of a club. Seeing as we have no control over the frequency only the loudness should be toned down a bit...

post #20 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 10:14 AM
PB

I don't know how to best answer that question. Like I said, they take the edge off and allow you to still hear without completely eliminating the sound. At the end of the day, it's $10 so I'd say just try some plugs out and if they're not what you're looking for, you've only spent a couple toonies and can try some other ones.

post #21 of 25 Old 03-13-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
The 35.5 MPG 919

Ended up installing the baffles yesterday; the idle sound is much quiet however it still retains that nice deep note.

I am yet to try it out on the road, however from what I have heard it is still LOUD when you give it some throttle!

post #22 of 25 Old 03-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Ended up installing the baffles yesterday; the idle sound is much quiet however it still retains that nice deep note.

I am yet to try it out on the road, however from what I have heard it is still LOUD when you give it some throttle!
yes it is quite loud when you give it some. I can't imagine how it would be without baffles.

A note though...even if it is so loud, my drift ghost s mic doesn't pick it up so on video you can barely hear the new exhaust which sucks

post #23 of 25 Old 03-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Need money for parts.

just a thought about the spacers...
i had a 3/4" round hollow aluminum baluster lying around. i just cut 2 pcs to length when i installed mine.
like these Pegatha 26 in. x 3/4 in. Black Aluminum Round Deck Railing Baluster (5-Pack)-50020006 - The Home Depot
i saw you are in nz, but surely something similar is around.

post #24 of 25 Old 03-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Can you post up some pics of the washers etc. you have in there? Yeah I don't have the baffles in at the moment and it is very loud, seems to work for letting the traffic know I am coming though. Gonna put the baffles in this weekend.
Here you go. Exactly the same on both sides
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3091584277.jpg (69.8 KB, 44 views)

post #25 of 25 Old 04-08-2017, 07:58 PM
The Dead Head

Garage
Have you installed a Power Commander?

I've been thinking about these, thought they were kind of cool looking, and the prices if affordable
Danmoto Carbon Exhaust MK2 Honda Hornet 900 / CB 919 - All Years EX1060 | eBay

Common Sense...so rare, it's kind of like a SUPER POWER!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode