Dan Moto 919 rearsets - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 08-28-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Dan Moto 919 rearsets

Can't find anything searching other than they are crap on a superhawk, but has anyone tried them on their 919?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I just installed a set. IMO they are excellent and I'm not sure who here said they are rubbish but I don't agree. There's a few niggles that need some very minor ingenuity to overcome but I'd say they are awesome considering $175 will get them to your door. I'd say they drop almost 5-4 pounds too.

These are a good as you'll need on a budget-minded bike like the 919
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4486.jpg (121.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4483.jpg (156.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4484.jpg (145.8 KB, 28 views)

post #3 of 8 Old 09-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
I just installed a set. IMO they are excellent and I'm not sure who here said they are rubbish but I don't agree. There's a few niggles that need some very minor ingenuity to overcome but I'd say they are awesome considering $175 will get them to your door. I'd say they drop almost 5-4 pounds too.

These are a good as you'll need on a budget-minded bike like the 919
Thanks for posting pics! How do you think the grip is in with water (rainy weather)?

post #4 of 8 Old 09-20-2016, 08:55 AM
Tesserarius

Care to elaborate on those "niggles"?

post #5 of 8 Old 09-20-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Haven't lad them long enough to comment on the wet grip but they have a nice and tacky feel in the dry.

I'm not sure what you call the piece with all the little tiny teeth (1st pic), it grabs on to the shift rod sticking out of the engine. Anyway, the Dan moto one is a little too big and I need to clamp it in the vice first and it's still not a perfect fit but it works.

You see the two bolt attached to the footpeg that bolt to the rest of the assembly? Those two bolt holes are too big for the bolts so there's some freeplay unless you torque them down. I just applied some downward force with tightening, not sure if they wanted it that way or not.

Also, in order to make the rear brake light switch fit you need to add a spacer and longer bolt to move it out of the way of the master cylinder. You can see my spacer and out of place black screw in the photo. I'm still trying to get it to work but I didn't feel like messing with it anymore.

I'm installed rear sets on a Hypermotard and it was awful. I think messing with footpegs is always going to be a pain in the ass because of all the levers and linkages involved. Keeping that in mind this was a piece of cake and a no brainer if you've been thinking about getting a set for specific purposes. High end rearsets are $550 for a reason and these are $175 for a reason.

post #6 of 8 Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Haven't lad them long enough to comment on the wet grip but they have a nice and tacky feel in the dry.

I'm not sure what you call the piece with all the little tiny teeth (1st pic), it grabs on to the shift rod sticking out of the engine. Anyway, the Dan moto one is a little too big and I need to clamp it in the vice first and it's still not a perfect fit but it works.

You see the two bolt attached to the footpeg that bolt to the rest of the assembly? Those two bolt holes are too big for the bolts so there's some freeplay unless you torque them down. I just applied some downward force with tightening, not sure if they wanted it that way or not.

Also, in order to make the rear brake light switch fit you need to add a spacer and longer bolt to move it out of the way of the master cylinder. You can see my spacer and out of place black screw in the photo. I'm still trying to get it to work but I didn't feel like messing with it anymore.

I'm installed rear sets on a Hypermotard and it was awful. I think messing with footpegs is always going to be a pain in the ass because of all the levers and linkages involved. Keeping that in mind this was a piece of cake and a no brainer if you've been thinking about getting a set for specific purposes. High end rearsets are $550 for a reason and these are $175 for a reason.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I understand what you mean. The footpeg sticking out is a problem for sure especially when you come to halts. I had the problem with the FZ1 that I had last year. The foot pegs were too long and I believe they were in a bad position. My ankle would hit then every single time I try to put my foot down when coming to a halt. And I have to specifically place my legs either front of the footpegs or back of them. It was a constant annoyance. Perhaps its just me and since I switched between the R6 and the FZ1, it was annoying. But the 919 doesnt seem to have that issue. I dont feel anything placed awkwardly on the 919!

I would like to know more about the grip in cold weather. For now, I am good with the stock ones. I ride in winter weather as well - till the beginning of December. So grip is extremely important to me. I live in Seattle. :-)

post #7 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Aquilifer

FWIW, if you wanted to sidestep the switch placement issue one possibility may be swapping to a pressure activated switch that is combined in the banjo bolt. If I have a bike long enough I usually end up switching to one if it begins to start showing signs of faulty operation (doesn't happen often though I will admit).

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #8 of 8 Old 09-22-2016, 09:45 PM
Aquilifer

Also, on a side note. I'm really surprised to see DM came out with a setup for the 919. Not bad surprised mind you, just surprised they are doing it now, nearly 10 years after the bike has stoppped production, lol.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode