Damage Report - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Damage Report

http://s324.photobucket.com/albums/k322/919Tacoma/

Here are the pictures of the damage done to the bike in my recent wreck. Not too bad for a collision with a car at 55, but still painful to look at. I had my mom take the pictures because the crutches and camera proved too much for me to handle at one time.
I'll be adding pictures of my injury later. Leg looks pretty nasty, but the doctor thought I was further along than I really was. I even got the cast removed at day 6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Discen

well atleast it gave us guys without the circuit 1 stator cover to see how thin the stock one is, and heal up quick!

post #3 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Man, sorry it happened.

Glad you are OK.

In all reality, the pics look like the bike is not too bad.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #4 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, glad we could at least learn something from it... I know its not that bad and it will be fixed up to like brand new, but I hadn't even made my first monthly payment on it yet!!! Just kills me that I can't walk for 6-8 weeks and my baby is damaged. The riding season is just getting in full swing. Does it bother anyone that the case went right with the cover? I don't know exactly what all hit, but the case doesn't look impressively strong either.

post #5 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Well, the engine cases are not strong very much on any bike.

My R1 has a lowside that rubbed through the bottom of the case cover and stared a very low oil leak.
Many race organizations require after mearket case covers to help with these kind of problems.

I hope nothing additional was hurt. Are you taking it to a dealership? Who's insurance is covering it?

I know it all sucks. But it could have been much worse.

Spoiler:
post #6 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

well not made to be driven into by a car. but hey i hate to hear/see that. that case going to cost losts. is it going to be totaled? if no i hope your insurance likes you.if you need help getting cheap parts let me know i may be able to help.

post #7 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

The other driver's insurance has agreed to cover all property damage. I'm having it taken to a Honda shop to keep the warranty. I was told by the claim adjuster that the bike wouldn't be totaled, but we'll see what Honda has to say about the cost. I don't know how much these insurance guys really know about bikes. About the cheap parts though... I'll be spending my quality time with her whether I can ride or not. While I'm not riding, I plan to start my modifications. First step is to figure out how I'll be getting around the shop and working on her. Looks like I'm about to build a custom toolbox/wheelchair combo. 3dcycle, what kind of parts do you have access to?

post #8 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Heal up quick Austin. Plenty of season left, especially where you live.

post #9 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Tirone

Bummer. You always hope to atleast have your first payment made before you go down. How many miles did you have on it?

You got me thinking...my first payment is due on the 21st...

'09 FJR; '07 919
post #10 of 15 Old 07-10-2008, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Now, speaking in mileage, I'd racked up over 1800 miles, so at least my first month was a good one. And the riding season never ended back when I had my Rebel around here, but that was because I didn't have any other form of transportation before I had my license to be caged. Weather typically allows for a lot of comfortable riding here.
I'd planned a two up trip to Gatlinburg with a close friend who refused to ride for 5 years until she finally agreed to try it on my birthday to shut me up. Needless to say, she fell in love with riding and was very excited about going to TN, but thats down the drain, at least for this year. I'll just make up for the missed mileage next summer I guess.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

I've got some pictures of a 919 that got totaled at 45mph and the rider wasn't anywhere near lucky, so It could be worse! It does suck and I hate it for you too, we have all been there once or twice ourselves. Keep your head up and look forward to riding it later.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The bike doesn't look that bad, but like you said, the engine case is broken. Wonder if and how that is going to be repaired.

Especially since the other guys insurance is going to pay, insist on a new bike. Be polite, but very firm. That one was new before he mashed it. He hurt you in the process, it's the very least they can do.

post #13 of 15 Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I've also made friends with my local mechanic (there is only one at our shop) so I'm going to explain to him that I expect it to be perfect, just as it was before the accident. There is no way I will accept a less than perfect motorcycle back from this. I also have an attorney on their case to ensure that everything turns out as well as possible. And that attorney just happens to be partners with the attorney who defended her insurance company for 7 years, so I'm thinking I'll be able to have any reasonable demands met.

post #14 of 15 Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

In Virginia parts are replaced not repaired in motorcycle accidents.

Any part with a scratch or nic should be replaced with a new factory part.
In that case, you would be getting a new engine case.
If the frame is scratched, new frame...
If the wheels are jacked, new wheels...

All in all, it does not look that bad, but you could be getting a new bike if the laws/policies down there are like VA.

Spoiler:
post #15 of 15 Old 07-10-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Well, seeing as the 919 motor is a "stressed member" of the frame, I could reasonably argue that a small scratch in the motor or a case that has been pieced back together would compromise the structural integrity of the bike, making it unsafe to ride. I plan to keep them on their toes with this. I've lost the ability to walk for a summer of my youth, and I plan to make that the only thing I lose. I might accept the old pair of work boots and my torn up jeans that had to be cut off as losses as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode