D&D exhaust - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

D&D exhaust

Has anyone thought to use D&D's full header and muffler package from the 96-99 900rr? I haven't seen anyone report about these yet. It seems like their full kit runs a little cheaper than piecing together a header that needs to be cleaned and coated and a new muffler. Any answers will be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Cornicen

I'm not sure of what the price is but many, myself included don't want to drop a big chunk of change on a full system when they can gradually spend money to make the system they want..
Example. I purchased a header for $75 and I am ordering a custom dan motor pipe for like $130. If I decide to coat later I can but for now the cost will remain fairly cheap.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #3 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I didn't want to spend a ton of money either lol. My header was 150 but needs to be painted or re-coated. There's some big nicks and surface rust starting in spots. I was trying to keep it a bolt on system because I couldn't find any carbon fiber exhausts that seemed to slip on. I'd have to recheck my pipe diameter, but I think it was a hair bigger than the 60mm slip on from Danmoto. My quick adding of part prices was- header: 150, recoating : 125-150, and new bolt on muffler was 300-400.. The D&D full system was about 500-550. I'd love to put the whole thing together much cheaper though!

post #4 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

A Dan Moto can for an 02-03 Yamaha R1, ($125) will fit a 900rr header. As far as coating, that's your choice. I sand blasted my header and painted with Rustoleum high temp 2000 degree flat black paint ($9 a can, one can needed) Spend ans much or as little as you want, your choice. I prefer not to buy a specific 900RR can as they are HUGE and don't look right for the 919.

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero*
2004 Honda 919 *
2005 Harley Davidson Road Glide *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
post #5 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Cornicen

The can I'm ordering from Dan Moto is a special order. It is going to have a 63mm inlet with relief cuts. I did not like the conversion a new member did recently where he used the midpipe from the R1, just looked kind of out of place. Mine will be a direct slip on (after I cut the flange off) and will look similar to yours BBB2

2003 Honda 919
post #6 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

+1, the inlet diameter needs to be 63mm or so. Might get away with 62, just might be a tight fit.

So any slip-on can, of any length that pleases you, if it has a 62-63mm inlet, will work. Just have to fab up whatever mounting system is needed.

Mine was for a ZX10R, but when I compared model #'s, it was sold for a # of different bikes; 600rr, SV650, etc.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #7 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks BBB2! That's really what I had in mind for pricing when I started this whole thing. I didn't know that you could special order a 63mm inlet. I believe my pipe diameter was right around 61mm. What would be the timeframe on getting a custom muffler from Danmoto? I've already taken the stock headers off and wanted to get everything together again soon since its just about riding season in PA lol.

How's the sound in person on a Danmoto? I've heard the clips online but they can be distorted sometimes. I'm currently using a Erion racing muffler for a zx-10 on a two bros single side swap and love the sound. I'm hoping to achieve the same tone with the new low side setup.

Thanks again guys!
Mike

post #8 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
The can I'm ordering from Dan Moto is a special order. It is going to have a 63mm inlet with relief cuts. I did not like the conversion a new member did recently where he used the midpipe from the R1, just looked kind of out of place. Mine will be a direct slip on (after I cut the flange off) and will look similar to yours BBB2
The one pictured on my 919 now is actually an aftermarket 900RR header with a Dan Moto can. OD of that midpipe is like 58mm. I purchased an OEM 900RR header. It was a bolt on flange style header. I cut the flange off of the midpipe and this midpipe OD is like 60.7mm. I sandblasted the header and cleaned up the end where I cut off the flange. The Dan Moto can for the R1 will start and is persuaded with a dead blow hammer onto the 900RR header. I will mount this setup on in the next few week and see if there is any performance gain or loss with the OEM vs aftermarket setup.

2004 Honda 919 *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
post #9 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Reds View Post
Thanks BBB2! That's really what I had in mind for pricing when I started this whole thing. I didn't know that you could special order a 63mm inlet. I believe my pipe diameter was right around 61mm. What would be the timeframe on getting a custom muffler from Danmoto? I've already taken the stock headers off and wanted to get everything together again soon since its just about riding season in PA lol.

How's the sound in person on a Danmoto? I've heard the clips online but they can be distorted sometimes. I'm currently using a Erion racing muffler for a zx-10 on a two bros single side swap and love the sound. I'm hoping to achieve the same tone with the new low side setup.

Thanks again guys!
Mike
One thing that will change in your exhaust sound is your going from two cans to one, so you will lose that 'duality' of tone. I still miss it sometimes, but still love my current setup as well.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

Quote:

Thanks again guys!
Mike
Mike, the header on my 919 now is supposed to be a Two Bros but there are no part numbers or markings on the header and PO was told it was a Two Bros. The mid pipe OD on the midpipe is not 60mm, it's like 58mm. Not sure how he ordered the can from Dan Moto but it's on and it's a TIGHT fit. I can't remove the can from the mid pipe by hand. The Two Bros was always a slip on style mid pipe. I like the Dan Moto cans, for the price can't be beat. that's why I bought another one, just to play around with an OEM header.

2004 Honda 919 *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
post #11 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I thought I was the only one who had an OEM header with a 60.7mm OD.. Many seem to get the one with a 58mm OD and just about any slip on muffler will slide over that. I was thinking about staying bolt on b/c of this but many of the bolt on mufflers are very big or chrome. Two things that I want to stay away from. I might just look into the R1 muffler and see if I can make it fit like you said

post #12 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
I thought I was the only one who had an OEM header with a 60.7mm OD.. Many seem to get the one with a 58mm OD and just about any slip on muffler will slide over that. I was thinking about staying bolt on b/c of this but many of the bolt on mufflers are very big or chrome. Two things that I want to stay away from. I might just look into the R1 muffler and see if I can make it fit like you said
Be sure to contact Dan Moto!!! Look at this thread https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...oto-29356.html

The pictures of the install are using a mid pipe from the R1. If you like it, order it. But if not contact them about making a one off for you.

I chose a 63mm Inlet but I believe you could go with a 62mm. Let them know that you will need relief cuts, strap that goes around the can,a clamp to hold it down and for them not to install the hoops that hold the slip on springs. They quoted me the same price as a single pipe setup which is like 130 but you won't get a mid pipe since it is a custom piece.
The pipe that I am looking to order will look very much like BBB2's display picture where there is no mid pipe, and no slip on retainer springs. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edit: I will be using their standard round can and not the "triangle" can in the pictures.

2003 Honda 919
post #13 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks undercover! I have some clearer answers on this low side exhaust to help with my decisions.. I'll be sure to update the progress along the way!

post #14 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB2 View Post
Mike, the header on my 919 now is supposed to be a Two Bros but there are no part numbers or markings on the header and PO was told it was a Two Bros. The mid pipe OD on the midpipe is not 60mm, it's like 58mm. Not sure how he ordered the can from Dan Moto but it's on and it's a TIGHT fit. I can't remove the can from the mid pipe by hand. The Two Bros was always a slip on style mid pipe. I like the Dan Moto cans, for the price can't be beat. that's why I bought another one, just to play around with an OEM header.
I believe that the pipe you have is actually a black dragon can heres the link Site Builder

Quote:
Thanks BBB2! What would be the timeframe on getting a custom muffler from Danmoto?

Thanks again guys!
Mike
They told me that the order would take about to weeks to have it made and shipped. I personally do not have the Dan Moto can just yet as I'm looking at moving into a different apartment. I have the Single Side Two Brothers can right now and I love it. I believe the Dan Moto would sound similar but possibly a little louder due to the smaller size I think they sound good on the videos and not really concerned if they are a little louder just as long as it isn't as loud as open header lol

2003 Honda 919
post #15 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

Can on my profile pic is Dan Moto, stamped right on the end cap. And new can is also Dan Moto. Not near as loud as my Two Bros Black Series can I had mounted to the stock 919 header

2004 Honda 919 *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
post #16 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB2 View Post
Can on my profile pic is Dan Moto, stamped right on the end cap. And new can is also Dan Moto. Not near as loud as my Two Bros Black Series can I had mounted to the stock 919 header
For some reason I swore it was a black dragon can... oops!

2003 Honda 919
post #17 of 19 Old 03-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919

For some reason I swore it was a black dragon can... oops!
I wish it was. I tried last year to get a Black Dragon and guy quoted me $350 for a can and I also wanted one of his mid pipes and he said he wasn't making the mid pipe anymore. I asked if he would and he said no. I like the Black Dragon a lot. Diameter looks larger on a dragon than a Dan Moto.

2004 Honda 919 *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
post #18 of 19 Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Anyone reading this the Dan Moto I ordered was too big. Since it was a custom order I knew I couldn't return it, so I enlarged the opening of the header pipe so it would fit. I'm stating this just so someone else may not make this same mistake.

2003 Honda 919
post #19 of 19 Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

Quote:
Anyone reading this the Dan Moto I ordered was too big. Since it was a custom order I knew I couldn't return it, so I enlarged the opening of the header pipe so it would fit. I'm stating this just so someone else may not make this same mistake.
Good info. I got the R1 can mounted on my OEM header and the whole system is mounted. With that info people now know the Dan Moto R1 can will mount on a 900RR midpipe. I think I'll keep the 900RR OEM header installed and sell the aftermarket setup.

2004 Honda 919 *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode