Crash Sunday Night - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Crash Sunday Night

Sunday night I was riding home on Hwy 100 leaving Wildwood, MO, and as I was approaching Hwy T there was a car stopped, about to make a left hand turn onto 100. They made half the turn then stopped their car right there on the highway completely blocking my lane. I slammed on my breaks but with a ditch on both sides of the divided highway and no time to turn if I had wanted to try my luck, I hit the car at the front driver's side wheel at appx. 20-30 mph.

No one ever seems to mention that when you wreck a bike, the gas tank is going to slam squarely into your jewels...

I flew 10-15 feet and landed in the street. Shattered my right wrist and broke my right elbow (typing this out has been a ball, let me tell you). Amazingly, my jacket and helmet don't have a scratch on them! Too bad the paramedics cut the jacket off.

My 919 held up pretty well. The forks are history, obviously, as are the instrument cluster, headlight and front wheel. There was also some damage done to the radiator. I joked with the nurse at the ER that it sounded like the crash had only messed up stuff I had planned on upgrading anyway. Mostly true.

Everyone and their mother has been telling me to give up bikes, but the way I see it, I still would have hit them if I was in my pickup truck, and then probably would have taken a couple of them to the hospital with me. Besides, who wants a pretty corpse?

I'll post some pics later. Cross your fingers the other driver's insurance company decides to fix my bike rather than junk it out.

Either way, I'm only out for the season.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Glad you came out okay. All that metal, plastic, and leather is replaceable.

You might be able to save some of those broken parts and sell them to users here. Let's say, if you happened to have '04 or newer forks, somebody might but the internals to change their '02 or '03 forks into adjustable forks.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNotMike View Post
Sunday night I was riding home on Hwy 100 leaving Wildwood, MO, and as I was approaching Hwy T there was a car stopped, about to make a left hand turn onto 100. They made half the turn then stopped their car right there on the highway completely blocking my lane. I slammed on my breaks but with a ditch on both sides of the divided highway and no time to turn if I had wanted to try my luck, I hit the car at the front driver's side wheel at appx. 20-30 mph.

No one ever seems to mention that when you wreck a bike, the gas tank is going to slam squarely into your jewels...

I flew 10-15 feet and landed in the street. Shattered my right wrist and broke my right elbow (typing this out has been a ball, let me tell you). Amazingly, my jacket and helmet don't have a scratch on them! Too bad the paramedics cut the jacket off.

My 919 held up pretty well. The forks are history, obviously, as are the instrument cluster, headlight and front wheel. There was also some damage done to the radiator. I joked with the nurse at the ER that it sounded like the crash had only messed up stuff I had planned on upgrading anyway. Mostly true.

Everyone and their mother has been telling me to give up bikes, but the way I see it, I still would have hit them if I was in my pickup truck, and then probably would have taken a couple of them to the hospital with me. Besides, who wants a pretty corpse?

I'll post some pics later. Cross your fingers the other driver's insurance company decides to fix my bike rather than junk it out.

Either way, I'm only out for the season.
First of all and most important, I am glad that you are alive, and able to talk about this. There is no such thing as a "minor" bike accident.

In hard impact accidents, there is little wear visible on most protective equipment as you did not abrade the surfaces or you were not dragged around or went skidding off... that is what it sounds like anyway. From the injuries you describe, you did the classic arms out move to break your fall and as you did break your elbow, I assure you that the elbow impacted something hard. Does your jacket have elbow padding? As far as the helmet - closer inspection will probably show a ding or impact here or there indicated straight impact.

Paramedics ALWAYS cut off your gear as they are unable to see if there are any breaks, severe cuts or such underneath. Rather than risk further injury, they just cut it off. Always wear clean undies people.

Heal fast man! Glad you made it out

post #4 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Glad you can post up and make light of what could have been a much worse situation. Let us know what they decide to do with the bike. Heal up quick!

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Glad you are still here!

On one of my MC safety classes I took when I started riding, the instructor said something that seems counter instinct, but stuck with me. He said that if you are going to hit a car, try and aim for the front part over the bonnet, but also stand up on the pegs! This goes against your instinct to remain seated, but if you think about it, makes sense. The tank and handle bars can do a lot of damage. Any one care to comment on this?

post #6 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Glad you're ok. Keep us posted.

post #7 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNotMike View Post
I hit the car at the front driver's side wheel at appx. 20-30 mph.

My 919 held up pretty well. The forks are history, obviously, as are the instrument cluster, headlight and front wheel. There was also some damage done to the radiator.

Good to hear you're OK and only out for the season!

Your crash is similar to when I totalled my '04 (30mph impact when a car pulled out in front of me). You must have done a 'Superman' over the car. Somehow I did a forward flip over the car and landed on my back.

Aside from a couple small scrapes and bruises, my jewels received the most damage... they took me into surgery to remove the one that was beyond repair.

My bike had the same damage as yours (forks, wheel, header, radiator, headlight, instruments, and a big dent in the back of the tank!). My insurance company declared it totalled.

Get healed up and get back on the road soon!

post #8 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

you lost a jewel?
thats fucked up man, really, im totally sorry for your loss

post #9 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Take care brother and I hope your physical therapist is a hottie!

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #10 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Optio

Maybe he can get some physical therapy on his jewels. But only if she's a hottie!

Glad to hear it wasn't worse. I'm definitely trying the stand up move if I have time to think.

post #11 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 06:03 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Glad you survived dude! That sounds like an unwinnable situation for sure, but I'm glad to hear your not really broken up! Get healed and get out riding again!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #12 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Great attitude Michael. Glad you weren't hurt worse. Heal up quick

post #13 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Milites Gregarius

hope you are healing well...

post #14 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Glad to hear you made it out OK and are able to tell your story.

post #15 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

heal up soon, with your great attitude you'll be out riding again in no time, even though it will feel like eternity. glad it wasn't any worse.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #16 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
if you are going to hit a car, try and aim for the front part over the bonnet, but also stand up on the pegs!
Any one care to comment on this?
Heck, not only am I going to stand up on the pegs, I'm going to jump just prior to impact and clear the entire car! I just hope the bike doesn't pop up and knock me off balance while I'm in the air...that might mess up the landing that I was going to "stick". Maybe I better practice first....how does one go about practicing this kind of thing?

post #17 of 20 Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 PM
The Cripple

damn dude..... heal up and get back on that saddle! hope the ins sets things right by you.

post #18 of 20 Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Glad you're ok. Broken elbows suck. My mother broke hers slipping on ice. Apparently hurts like hell. Did this idiot give any kind of worthless excuse for why they tried to murder you? Let me guess, they didn't bother to check traffic and see you coming, then saw you mid turn and froze like a worthless shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Heck, not only am I going to stand up on the pegs, I'm going to jump just prior to impact and clear the entire car! I just hope the bike doesn't pop up and knock me off balance while I'm in the air...that might mess up the landing that I was going to "stick". Maybe I better practice first....how does one go about practicing this kind of thing?
I have always thought that's what I wanted to do if a car pulled out in front of me. Older bikes seem to have tanks that taper down and meet the seat evenly. Newer stuff like the 919 have a big frikken nutbuster right there at the end of the seat. Seems ATGATT needs to include nutcups now.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #19 of 20 Old 06-04-2010, 04:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Jeez-loueeeze. Cagers. always out to get us. if not us, then out to crash just for the helluvit.

Glad it sounds "minor" . Good attitude man.

post #20 of 20 Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 PM
smileage

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're OK.

I have a friend in Pacific, Kirk, owns a glass company I believe, decent fellow.

He rides a Harley, but we all make mistakes.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode