Crank case possible problems. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Crank case possible problems.

I posted this the other day in the mechanical and technical section, but I didn't get much help. But I have some more pictures of the bike itself and what lies beneath the cover. I don't really know what I am looking at or if there are any problems with it. I do not know how I would go about switching the coil from the inside of the cover to the new cover if all is fine inside. Could someone shed some light on whether or not this bike has cosmetic or mechanical damage.

Original thread...
https://wristtwisters.com/mechanical-...r-removal.html
Pictures of the bike...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=ecfab70222

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Ballaholic

i believe that is the stator. basically the bikes alternator. i would probably replace it, in the pic it looks like it has a crack on it or something. get a new cover and stator and give it a go

post #3 of 16 Old 10-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

i think the stator may be ok.... just replace the cover and add oil and see if the bike charges and runs ... if not check out the stator and see if its charging...

but to ME... imho... you just need a new cover... or get that one patched... *(welded up)...

post #4 of 16 Old 10-06-2009, 01:28 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better

Agreed that the stator might be fine. I don't see any harm in just replacing the cover, replacing the oil, and seeing what happens.

Assuming the gasket's trashed, you'll need one of them, too, and you might want an extra, in case you screw up the first one. You'll need some gasket seal, too, for around the cable grommet.

That loose gear to the upper-right is the starter motor reduction gear. When you re-install the cover (or install the new one), make sure you don't knock that gear out of alignment. Trust me on this. The only plus to misaligning that gear is that diagnosing that problem takes only about 50ms when you try to start the bike.

post #5 of 16 Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Thanks for the help, how would I go about taking the coil out of the cover? Just unscrew it and unscrew what hold the wiring down and slap it in the new cover?

post #6 of 16 Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05superblackz View Post
Thanks for the help, how would I go about taking the coil out of the cover? Just unscrew it and unscrew what hold the wiring down and slap it in the new cover?
thats the process..... pics or it didnt happen...

post #7 of 16 Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I have to wait for him to get the money up to buy the parts. He had the bike only a week before he went down. He just got the tag and title changed over and had rent due. So it might be sitting for a little while longer

post #8 of 16 Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Ballaholic

good luck with the repair. thats a cool lookin 500. i wish suzuki would make a bike that looked exactly like that with the 750 motor in it

post #9 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Well I ended up jb welding the case cover for the time being. I let it cure. Added oil. And it cranks. But now it is putting out a whole lot of exhaust smoke. Should this be expected since it was laid over and had the oil drained out? Or is this the sign of a bigger problem?

post #10 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Sike

It is very possible that the smoke is only due to it being on its side for an extended period of time. Any odd noises? Are all of the pipes getting hot, or just some of them? Have you tried to ride it, and did it appear to be building power normally?

Good Luck!

post #11 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Discen

The engine was getting warm. But i cut it off due to the abundance of smoke and did not attempt to ride it. I was worried that I might do more damage to the motor.

post #12 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05superblackz View Post
The engine was getting warm. But i cut it off due to the abundance of smoke and did not attempt to ride it. I was worried that I might do more damage to the motor.
Actually check the individual pipes, to make sure each one is getting warm. If damage is done, you probably won't make it any worse by starting it up and running it for short period of time. But, stay with it and turn it off if any noised begin. Also, if there isn't any damage, and you do this a handful of times, you will likely clean (burn off) the problem.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

If it was on its side for a while its quite likely to have gotten oil in the cylinders that it will have to burn off. Make sure you have good oil pressure(oil light not on at least), proper oil and coolant level. Watch for overheating when you let it run and as Sike said listen for odd noises.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #14 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Well thank you guys. I will get it running and check everything out.

post #15 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 09:27 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

what they said.. and i add the warning do not blip the throttle excessively... if the bike was on its side it did get oil into the cylinder.. it must burn off... it should stop smoking after a few minutes... then check oil... let it cool off... crank and run again... hopefully with no smoke this time.. *(or a greatly reduced amount)... then it should be fine.. change oil... try not to fall off...

post #16 of 16 Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I let the bike run for a couple minutes. Cut it off and let it cool down some, and started it back up. No smoke. Took it up the street and back. She runs like a top. Thanks for the help everyone. As of right now, she doesn't look the best, but she runs like nothing ever happened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode