Corbin Seat Adjustment? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 11-07-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Corbin Seat Adjustment?

Since I appear to be stuck with a Corbin seat for my 919, I'm thinking of putting it on my bike so I can send my stock seat into Sargent to be customized before the sale ends. As reported elsewhere, the seat doesn't actually fit my 919. The latch won't engage, so there is nothing to hold it in place.

After some investigation, I added 5 washers to each bolt to raise the latch about 1/3" further from the seat. I still have to push down on the seat firmly with a knee or elbow to get it to catch, but at least it works now. (I can't add any more washers without getting longer bolts.)

Here's what the latch originally looked like:

And here's what the latch looks like now:

Has anyone else experienced this problem with a Corbin seat? Do you have any better solutions?

Don't bother suggesting I remove the rubber stops. I tried that, but it made no difference. They (the two that you can see here) don't seem to hit anything. The only problem seems to be that the latch doesn't reach far enough into the lock because the shape of the seat does not allow it to fit snugly at the rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

My Corbin always fits snug, and sometimes I have to wiggle it around to get it to fit, but I always have to put an elbow into it to make it latch. I don't think I have that much of a gap. You don't have anything in middle of the area under the seat, laying on the frame, do you? Sometimes my manual will slide down and keep the seat from latching all the way. Perhaps something is keeping the seat from seating all the way?

-Joe
post #3 of 19 Old 11-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Sorry to tell you this, but mine just drops right on and latches fine. No pushing, elbowing, etc. Something doesn't sound right, but how hard can it be to put a seat on?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 19 Old 11-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Milites Gregarius

I bought my bike with a Corbin seat on it and haven't had any problems. I can't put much under the seat except the manual and a rag, but the seat latches just fine. No elbows or knees required. Just click into place.

post #5 of 19 Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Man with all that pressure to latch , if it ever pops loose it going send you flying !!! not really , well maybe hahha, Wish I had a nice seat, str8

post #6 of 19 Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
You don't have anything in middle of the area under the seat, laying on the frame, do you?
You got my hopes up. Alas, I just checked, and there is nothing under the seat. I have no manual. I took out the toolset. Still doesn't fit.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

this is a common problem though i only know of 1 or 2 others that actually had to go the washer route

mine just takes a bit of a shove and it's latched

make sure that you're gettin the front of the seat tucked under the catch by sliding the seat forward

also, if the rubber stops have been moved for whatever reason (or maybe weren't positioned correctly from the outset), adjust them so that the seat sits as low as possible

if u get a chance, post of pic of the bottom of your corbin and i'll compare it to mine, see if they are pretty much in the same place

you shouldn't have too much of a problem, certainly shouldn't need all those washers...

oh, and it's not that it doesn't fit "your" 919...tell ya one thing about hondas, those frames are identical, only thing that would mess that up is the bike gettin banged up...so if it doesn't fit yours, no doubt there an issue w/ the pan mold...maybe missed a layer when they were glassin it

post #8 of 19 Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Not so Rookie Anymore

My guess is that you have a seat that isn't correct for the model year bike that you have. I have seen differences in the pictures from year to year and I would guess that you have a support post that is making contact on the bike that shouldn't be there. Obviously a simplified answer... but maybe try to get a part number correlation between the set and your bike...

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

look on the bottom of your corbin seat

carved into the plastic near the front, in big letters, you should see;

H-919-GL

Honda 919 Gunfighter Lady

my corbin was assembled by Enrique...fits well

the bottom of the pan is mold based and really shouldn't have too much variation..maybe need a washer or two, but not that stack that you had to install RB

post #10 of 19 Old 11-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

also, check the tab at the front of the seat and make sure it's not bent

post #11 of 19 Old 11-08-2006, 11:03 AM

Maybe the production variations in both the bike and the seat, when at opposite extremes, cause the latch to be out of tolerance????

post #12 of 19 Old 11-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbord View Post
Maybe the production variations in both the bike and the seat, when at opposite extremes, cause the latch to be out of tolerance????
production variations on a Honda? especially the frame?

i think not

on the corbin?

i think maybe...just seems to be too much in this case, makes me think etwas andere passiert

post #13 of 19 Old 11-08-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I wrote Corbin today, asking for their suggestions and if it's possible that they made different seats for the 919. Here's their response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad at Corbin
Not sure what might have happen one this one. It's not un common to have
to use a 2-3 shims to have one of our sadles latch. The Rubber bumpers
we use are very stiff and will break-in with time.
If this is used not sure why it has not broke in already. It Hard to say
sometimes what happens.
Thanks Chad
He doesn't really say whether or not they made different seats, but he does indicate the problem I'm having is extreme. So, no real solution yet.

BTW, my seat is the same model that ratdog mentions, H-919-GL. Mine was assembled by Carlos. Maybe he doesn't do the same quality of work that Enrique does.

post #14 of 19 Old 11-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I had a Corbin for my popular Kawie that never fit (very loose), so I went back to the 2x6 comfort of the exact fit stock. It must be impossible for Corbin to exactly match the stock pan without the MFG's CAD dbase. I rode 300ml past Corbin and paid more to BMS for a custom seat using the stock pan. Corbin should offer to fix your fit issue GRATIS!

post #15 of 19 Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb919 View Post
I wrote Corbin today, asking for their suggestions and if it's possible that they made different seats for the 919. Here's their response:

He doesn't really say whether or not they made different seats, but he does indicate the problem I'm having is extreme. So, no real solution yet.

BTW, my seat is the same model that ratdog mentions, H-919-GL. Mine was assembled by Carlos. Maybe he doesn't do the same quality of work that Enrique does.
That looks like some ****ty customer service to me. He doesn't offer any type of solution. I'd call them. You paid too much money for that type of service.

post #16 of 19 Old 11-09-2006, 01:59 AM
Milites Gregarius

I inherited a Corbin when I bought my '03 and it fits great, no extra pressure needed to latch. However I did have a Corbin for a previous bike that did require pressure to set into place and latch. As a possible solution, try putting some wide masking tape in areas underneath and install a few times. If something is rubbing it may be easier to see where based on damage to the tape. I'm sure if you tinker with it a bit more you will get the fit straightened out.

On another note, you mention that ou are stuck with the Corbin seat. Just my opinion, but if I had to struggle just a bit to get my Corbin set correctly onto the bike I would consider it a small disadvantage compared to the benefits of having the Corbin to ride on. If you have ever compared the Corbin ride for ride against the stock seat you would probably do whatever it takes to get it onto the bike. I probably shouldn't be that way but the benefits far outway a snug fit.

post #17 of 19 Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

By grinding down the two rubber bumpers in the middle of the seat (about 1 foot up from the latch), I've reduced the washer requirement from 5 to 3. I may grind them further, but I want to leave some rubber for cushioning. (They are now 1/2 the original height.)

In the picture, you can see the only other place where the bumpers hit anything, in the front. They are dented in where they push into the sides of the frame top.

PS: mk919, I said I was "stuck" with this seat because the improper fit is not the only problem with this seat, but you will have to read about that elsewhere. Nick, I didn't pay any money to Corbin, so I'm not going to complain about their service.

post #18 of 19 Old 11-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb919 View Post
Nick, I didn't pay any money to Corbin, so I'm not going to complain about their service.
Sounds like you can make it work with some light modifications. I probably wouldn't worry about it either.

post #19 of 19 Old 11-11-2006, 04:41 PM

mine fits almost the same as the stock seat. even if it did not i would have to find a way to make it work.. i love the corbin seat height and of course the comfort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« duh pc3 | Race Body »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode