Corbin or Sarget? - Wrist Twisters
View Poll Results: What is the best seat?
Corbin 13 28.89%
Sargent 14 31.11%
Other 3 6.67%
Stock is good enough 15 33.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Unbannable

Corbin or Sarget?

I have to decide soon because if I get a Sargent seat I'll want to send it out this month for the deal.

I know the Corbin/Sargent thing has been kicked around before, but I think now there are more people that have tried the new Sargent seat. Plus I wanted to make a poll

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I think in this case, especially with the new Sargent seat for the 919, it's personal preference as to how you want your bike to look. I love my Corbin, but had this Sargent thing happened sooner, I would have done it. I like the solo look better. Down the road, maybe I will change it. If I was in your shoes, get the Sargent. It will probably fit the bike better, weigh less, and it is definitely cheaper with the discount.

-Joe
post #3 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Unbannable

This is how I see it. I like the firmer foam of the Corbin. I also like the look and feel of their leather. The only downside is the weight and the lack of hooks. Right now I'm leaning to the Corbin. I found a good picture of one with a stock looking passenger section. I'll post it when I get home.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 07:18 AM

I have the corbin and I definitely prefer it over the stock seat, but I like the look and feel of the Sargent even more. (I have a friend in town with the Sargent)

post #5 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

If money is not an object, I believe the Russell Mayer seats have the highest satisfaction rating. This is definitely true in the touring crowd, not sure about the naked crowd

When I was riding an ST1300, its stock seat was just as bad as the 919's seat. When I set out to replace it, I went with a Corbin because I really like the looks. When I got it, I was immediately disappointed with its one piece design (the ST13's stock seat is two pieces) and its weight. The thing weighed a ton. But the craftsmanship was top notch. But after a couple thousand miles on it, it just didn't break in right for me -- monkey butt set in after 100 miles -- and I sold it. I went with a Sargent seat and was pleased from Day 1.

I'm in the process of having Sargent make the Gunfighter seat for the 919 now - I like the look of it, the price, and that I get to keep the hooks (I often ride with a Cortech Sport Tail Bag). And I know from experience it will be comfortable. I'll very likely be on the lookout for a stock seat next year so I can take the wife or kids for a ride when they want.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Unbannable

I don't know who's bike this is but here's a good shot of a good looking Corbin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00527750606.jpg (72.9 KB, 88 views)

post #7 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

i don't have either so i did not vote but with the posts lately about some of the corbin seats not always fiting plus not having hooks. I'd lean towards one of the others Ken is talking about. my .02 worth. i have sat on a corbin for a different bike and wasn't impressed with the hard feel of it, but was told oh it will break in to your shape. I don't know about that cause there are different butt shapes out there but the majority are round right??? Either way the guy that bought a corbin bought a different brand for a later bike but I can't remember what kind it was.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 04:56 PM
That's right!!

You should probably stick with the stock steve if $260 is to much for you.

post #9 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Unbannable

The last Corbin I bought for my EX500 cost me $230. I was shocked to see the seat for the 919 was $400.

So, I sent my stock pan to Sargent today. I'll have pic's when it gets back to me. I asked for Carbon FX with no welt.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-17-2006, 10:23 PM

I just traded a 2005 M-50 for my 919, and I'm not shocked at all by Corbins prices. For my M, the seats started at $449 and ended at $899. Can you believe 900 dollars for a freakin seat? That's the main reason that I will never buy a Corbin anything. I think they rape the biking community on the prices of some of their products.

post #11 of 15 Old 11-19-2006, 06:17 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

wow looking at the votes their are a some for the stock is ok which makes me want to know if you guys that say the stock is ok ride a lot of short trips or long trips?? I ride mine everyday bout 20miles to work with stock seat no problems but if it go long trips my kinda get tired of it....

post #12 of 15 Old 11-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Not so Rookie Anymore

SuperSneakey:

Did you go with the solo design or two-up? Just wondering. I'll be boxing up my seat on Wednesday. Leaning towards the solo...

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-21-2006, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Unbannable

I ordered the foam package for the front only. I only very rarely give rides and when I do it's very short.

I actually don't mind the shape of the seat too much. I just want firmer foam. I'm going to save my vote untill I get a chance to sit on the Sargent. I owned a Corbin before and liked everything about it.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 PM

foam pad & Superbike tail

post #15 of 15 Old 11-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Milites Gregarius

I find it kind of odd that so many people prefer the stock seat. In my opinion that is because those people haven't tried the Corbin or Sargent or don't believe they are worth the money. Some may not be willing to pay the cost for a better seat like the Corbin, but now we are talking about value or worth to the individual owner. That doesn't answer the question of which seat is better. I have no experience with Sargent, but do have both the stock and the Corbin, and if you take cost out of the picture and ask simply which is better - the Corbin wins by a landslide. Given that info it would be up to the individual to decide if a better seat is worth the money, but that really isn't the question (I don't think anyway). The stock seat isn't terrible, but it doesn't compete with the Corbin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode