Cooling system woes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Cooling system woes

Ever since I swapped out my regular ol' ethylene glycol coolant for dist. water/Water Wetter for the track, I've been having some trouble with it. At the track, it was 100 degrees or so, and After each session I got a gout of boiling water and steam dripping from the coolant overflow tube onto my foot and the ground. Hmmm. I kept topping off the water/waterwetter mix up to the lower fill line of the overflow bottle, but it needed a liter of replenishing over the course of the day--and it had already gotten 3.75 liters + of the mix when I did the coolant change.

It's continued to boil over through the overflow tube, then come close to overheating, every time I've taken her out on a hot day or had to sit in traffic. Not good, as I keep topping off the waterwetter mix and then losing it out of the overflow tube (the one that runs to the neck of the radiator, I believe).

From the previous posts I've searched, it appears that the way I SHOULD have changed the coolant was to add coolant, place a square of innertube (held with an oven mitt or thick glove) over the radiator cap, and start and run the bike several times to push air bubbles out of the system. Should I re-create this process, or is it time to take it in to a shop or try another approach?

I'd very much like to avoid dripping boiling ethylene glycol on my leg and rear tire..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Ever since I swapped out my regular ol' ethylene glycol coolant for dist. water/Water Wetter for the track, I've been having some trouble with it. At the track, it was 100 degrees or so, and After each session I got a gout of boiling water and steam dripping from the coolant overflow tube onto my foot and the ground. Hmmm. I kept topping off the water/waterwetter mix up to the lower fill line of the overflow bottle, but it needed a liter of replenishing over the course of the day--and it had already gotten 3.75 liters + of the mix when I did the coolant change.

It's continued to boil over through the overflow tube, then come close to overheating, every time I've taken her out on a hot day or had to sit in traffic. Not good, as I keep topping off the waterwetter mix and then losing it out of the overflow tube (the one that runs to the neck of the radiator, I believe).

From the previous posts I've searched, it appears that the way I SHOULD have changed the coolant was to add coolant, place a square of innertube (held with an oven mitt or thick glove) over the radiator cap, and start and run the bike several times to push air bubbles out of the system. Should I re-create this process, or is it time to take it in to a shop or try another approach?

I'd very much like to avoid dripping boiling ethylene glycol on my leg and rear tire..
Pretty sure you got air in the system. Need to prop up tank and remove rad cap.. run to get warm and burp it. Cant remember if there is a bleeder screw or not.. been a while since I looked at mine.. but you got air in there.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #3 of 19 Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

correct me if I'm wrong water wetter small additive you mix like 50:1 with water? if its the stuff I'm thinking of I've never personally used it BUT freinds of mine had 0 luck with that stuff. Now as for an air pocket. I'm lost with the oven mit deal. innertube?????? cant you just leave the cap off run til its warm top off and have a nice day?

post #4 of 19 Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

If ther is a bleeder it will be at high point of the water system. if air is trapped the coolant will start to surge in the tank i.e. dropping low and shooting out....... but just try the old trusted run it top it have nice day if you cant find a bleeder.

post #5 of 19 Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

I'll be burping the bike this evening... odd as that may sound!

post #6 of 19 Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Water wetter may duplicate the lubricative properties of 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water, but doesn't materially change the boiling point of water, so if you're riding on a hot day the coolant, in this case water, will tend to boil. While there is a possibility there is air trapped somewhere in the system it is relatively remote given the number of times it's been heat cycled -- that is assuming the thermostat is functioning properly. Pressure in the system will raise the boiling point, so there is also a possibility the radiator cap isn't sealing properly and preventing pressure from building.

I would recommend draining the present coolant (?), and removing and testing the thermostat by suspending it in a small pot with enough water in it to fully immerse it, and bringing it to a boil slowly enough to watch it -- preferably with a thermometer to track the temperature. If it's not opening fully, or not at all, obviously replace it and the o-ring for the housing. Also inspect the cap and it's boss for any foreign matter that may be preventing sealing. It doesn't take much, so look very carefully. And when you're done, use coolant!

Oh, yeah -- is there anything blocking air flow through the radiator? I've had cars come in with an overheating problem that the owner tried to cure by replacing practically everythig including the water pump only to find a full sheet of newspaper plastered against the radiator. They were relieved and pissed at the same time! The lesson here is check everything.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 19 Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Aquilifer

fill slowly: that's how you prevent airlock.

i have actually sucked the air out of cooling systems, like siphoning gas.

and i suck the air out of most roomsfull that i enter

lastly, i suck.

post #8 of 19 Old 06-24-2008, 06:47 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

I switched to Water Wetter for the track about six weeks ago and have had no problems with it.

I just warmed up the motor with the cap off, topped off, put the cap on, and shut the motor off. After putting the tank back on, I started it up, went around the block, checked the reservior level, and done.
I checked the reservior level again in the morning and all is fine.

Maybe I just got lucky.

post #9 of 19 Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Update: all's well. I replaced the Waterwetter mix with Hondacool, "burped" the system several time to release its indigestion-causing air bubbles, and all has been well.

I rode in the SF Pride parade this weekend, too, and the needle never rose far above half, even in heavy traffic. Relief!

post #10 of 19 Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Literally: cool!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #11 of 19 Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

What's the SF Pride Parade??

post #12 of 19 Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
well ummm.. the guys in that parade would likely enjoy your avatar...

post #13 of 19 Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur View Post
well ummm.. the guys in that parade would likely enjoy your avatar...

post #14 of 19 Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

Still no luck with the water jiz.

post #15 of 19 Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
Gay pride parade. I rode with the "Dykes on bikes" contingent, which was tremendous fun...got a lot of compliments on the cool green 919. Most of the women were on Harleys, but there was an amazing variety of bikes--from ratbikes to dirtbikes to a ZX-14 to a Ural Patrol with sidecar to a Goldwing with plush purple seats. It's about the only time you ever get to ride through SF helmetless...not to mention topless, if you like. (not me tho, too cold)

post #16 of 19 Old 07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Discen

when i did my coolant i was worried about air pockets. it seems that i didn't get any. all i did was fill relatively slowly and slowly tipped the bike over to each side as low as i could. refilled as necessary. did this a few times. filled the res to prop level and she's been good ever since.

post #17 of 19 Old 07-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Tesserarius

I seem to remember a thread about difficulty filling the rad. do a search!

post #18 of 19 Old 07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Tesserarius

Yep, just as I thought, search radiator problems, there's a bunch of threads.

post #19 of 19 Old 07-03-2008, 04:44 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Had a guy from Redline tell me once that depending on where your temp sensor is, you could actually see higher coolant temps on your gauge because Water-wetter extracts more heat from your engine do to the fact that it makes better contact with metal....less hydroscopic tension or something like that.

All I know is that we have used it in everything (motorcycles, racecars, motorhomes, passenger cars) since it first came out in crystal form back in the 80's and have had nothing but great results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode