Coolant Overflow - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
GitrFixdUp

Coolant Overflow

Fellow 919 experts...

I've got an '03 919 - I believe I"m second owner, but not sure.

I purchased the 9er in April, and almost from the start, I noticed a small issue...

almost every ride, especially any sort of spirited ride, the bike with leak a little coolant out of the overflow, I'm talking only a teaspoon or so. the drops appear right beneath the overflow tube on the side opposite the kickstand. Additionally, once the bike has cooled, overnight I'd say, the upper rad hose appears imploded, like it wanted to suck coolant back into the system, but couldn't

Initially, I just figured the shop filled the expansion tank too full, so I sorta ignored it.

I check the expansion tank occasionally, and only once did I ever add water. close to 2 cups I'd guess, possibly less.

I've replaced the rad cap with a new one just in case it was caused by a faulty cap.

the bike doesn't appear to overheat unless I'm in town, in which case the fan comes on as expected.

===

so, any experts, mechanics, or whatnot, what would you suggest as the next steps to troubleshoot? keep in mind, I've only got about 3 weeks on the road up here... then i'll have to wait till the spring to heat up the coolant enough to leak again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-02-2009, 02:30 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I am no expert, but I've had mine drip a little coolant on the ground before, maybe 3 or 4 drops in the garage after a hard, hot day on the road. Remember, a few drops can look like a bunch after hitting the floor. I haven't really noticed my upper hose collapsed looking, but I've also never looked.

Also, the coolant system only holds about 4 quarts of fluid so if you truly added 2 cups, then you added half a quart.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
GitrFixdUp

Math lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I am no expert...
but...the coolant system only holds about 4 quarts of fluid so if you truly added 2 cups, then you added half a quart.
I'm willing to bet that even if the coolant system was 5 or 6 quarts, that if I added 2 cups, indeed I would have added half a quart

however...

more concerning to me than whether a teaspoon or a few drops was lost, it does leak a little coolant regularly, it is clearly from the overflow, and more worrisome to me is the fact the upper hose collapses on itself... as if it is trying to suck more coolant back in from the reservoir once it cools, and is unable to.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-03-2009, 05:41 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgweist View Post
I'm willing to bet that even if the coolant system was 5 or 6 quarts, that if I added 2 cups, indeed I would have added half a quart

however...

more concerning to me than whether a teaspoon or a few drops was lost, it does leak a little coolant regularly, it is clearly from the overflow, and more worrisome to me is the fact the upper hose collapses on itself... as if it is trying to suck more coolant back in from the reservoir once it cools, and is unable to.
I worded the half a quart thing poorly. I actually started to say that being 4 quarts, you added 1/8th of the total volume but changed it to say half a quart.

I noticed yesterday that mine leaked about 4 drops on the floor in the garage and a few drops in the bed of the truck after starting it only long enough to ride it to where I loaded it into the truck (weird electrical/firing problem). It was only in the 60s yesterday.

I would be a little concerned about the collapsed pipe, but you need to post a picture to show just how bad. If it runs cool and well, then it could be a form of normal. I guess the hose could be losing it's integrity and is ready for replacing, but

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-03-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
GitrFixdUp

cmurphy:

thanks for the reply, guess I didn't think of replacing the hose.

I was just funnin' ya about the measurements, cause that's the way I am... I'm certainly not replacing hoses before snow flies, but it'll be worth it for piece of mind over the winter, since I'm planning on painting the tank and cowl anyway.

any other ideas? things that'd need replacing, or are cheap enough to replace while its all apart?

too bad about your missfiring, hope that works out for you quickly as well.

by the way, its not that I exactly mind my bike marking its territory, its just not expected without it being a harley.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 03:14 PM
NineOneNiner

I get the same thing on my bike... only after a spirited ride. I'm saying, either a really hot day, or when I'm really winding it out, higher-rpm type riding. The temp never really gets super hot... only when idling at a stop light, and never into the red zone or anything. I'm not really worried about it, but will keep an eye on the levels just to be safe.

03 Honda 919 - Custom Blue Metallic - Sato Racing Pipes - Power Commander - Sargent Seat - Rizoma Mirrors & Levers - Progrips - Renthal Bars - Powder Coated Rims/Pipes - Clear Alternatives Tail - LED Blinkers
07 Lexus SC430 - Starfire Pearl White - Pebble Beach Edition (1 of 400)
04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode