Continental Sport Attack - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Continental Sport Attack

Well I finally had to replace the stock tires on my niner. I got 4,400 miles out of them before the cord started showing on the back. (I know I never should let it get to that point but funds were an issue.) After reading all the threads on the subject I took Snipers advice and tried Continentals new Sport Attack and couldn't be more pleased. I didn't realize how bad the old ones were.
Man, what a difference! Feels like a different bike. Steering is more precise and stable, awesome grip. Feedback is... better than the stock Michelins.
I paid $109.00 for the front and $139.00 for the back.
Best (mod) I've done yet, I highly recommend them.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I have the Road Attacks and like them a lot, might try the Sports next go round.

post #3 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I stick with the Pilot Powers. They treat me well, and I'm gonna stay faithful to them.

2 > 4
post #4 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Good to hear. I've been considering the Conti, but I have really liked my Power Pilots as well.

Where did you get that deal?

post #5 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Conti Sport Attacks

I've never tried the Power Pilots but have read good things about them.

I picked up the Contis at a local dealer here in Dallas ( Action Suzuki / Kawi).
I had to order them but he had them the next day. They were a little cheaper than the Power Pilots. The PP's were $129.00 front/ $159.00 rear.
I don't think you could go wrong with either one.Tire technology has come a long way.

Steve

post #6 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Cheaper sounds good, and all the reviews I've read are favorable. I'd love to hear from someone who has experience on both tires. Anyone out there???

post #7 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 12:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Just to get everyone up to speed, the Conti Road Attack is their Sport/Touring tire. The Sport Attack is their sport tire.

On FRONT there isn't much difference between the SPORT Attack and the Pilot Power as far as grip and ride quality. The Conti may go a bit longer, but that's hard to say for sure. I don't like the Road Attack front.

Rears:I've changed and worn about 6 of each, Continental Road Attack and Power Pilot. (counting the 929) On the 919, I get about 4200 miles out of a ROAD Attack rear. I get about 3200 miles out of a Pilot Power rear. I did a track day on the Road Attack. It was a fairly hot Sept day. Knees, pegs, toe sliders were all on the floor. Bike did nothing stupid. I think the Road Attack rear is a good match to the weight and power characteristics of the 919.

Since I change my own, I will add that the Conti Road Att is aprox 3 lbs heavier than a Pilot Power. You get more rubber with the Conti, maybe that's where the extra 3 lbs come from. Michelins are easier to change. They're more plyable, spoon on with less force.

I have my first Sport Attack rear on the 919 right now. It has only 700 miles on it and is still nice and round, and still looks new. Time will tell...

post #8 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Running the Conti sports... they were great break-in time w/ little to no slip what so ever. Within 300 miles I was draggin' knee. Just was at Deal's where I noticed they had a little slip to 'em. Once I got some good heat into 'em they stuck pretty good. Only a few corners did I power out. Only thing I seemed to notice is that the more heat cycles you go thru them, the more time it takes next ride out to get them up to temp. And now really gotta be careful of the crosswalk stripes!

post #9 of 15 Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

A tire that ages unpredictably is not a good thing! If you have to be careful where you weren't before it can rear up and bite you. I've been running Michelin Pilot Roads, and now Road 2s, for as long as I've had my '02, and the biggest thing that happens as they wear is the traction keeps getting better. Cheap is good only as long as it doesn't sacrifice reliability. I never scrimp on tires-- my favorite skin depends on them!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #10 of 15 Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 AM

what Rob said!

the only time i have hade my pilots let go is in the wet on our lovely diesel infested round abouts..... brown undies everytime it happens!

post #11 of 15 Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Show me any tire that does well on crosswalk stripes.

I have run a Conti Sport down to the cords recently. It did well all the way to the end. But that was on my 600. Different bike, different rider, different road... Road tires are designed to do many heat cycles. I will say tho, that during the winter, when they sit for a month or 2, the Contis get that blueish hue to them.

I can't tell by feeling if a Power Pilot is worn out. Michelin is good to the last drop. Even when the tread is gone on the sides of the front, they do well.

Now my last set of Bridgestones went to hell in a handbasket long before their time. It'll be a while before I try another set of those things.

I hated the OEM Dunlops that came on my 6.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Tirone

i'll be putting road attacks as soon as i can pick some up.
i amhoping they will last a lot longer than the pilot sport has.
a few 9r owners over here swear by them.

they are one awesum lookin tyre too.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-11-2008, 06:09 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

I replaced my stock Bridgestones at 3300 miles with Pirelli Diablo Stradas and now have about 1500 miles on them. They stick well, are quiet and run straight. I paid under $250 for the set. As long as they keep on doing what their doing, I will stay with Pirelli. I've never owned Michelins on my bikes but have heard good things about them, I love the Michelin Hydroedges on my wife's CR-V, talk about stick!

post #14 of 15 Old 06-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Unbannable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
I replaced my stock Bridgestones at 3300 miles with Pirelli Diablo Stradas and now have about 1500 miles on them. They stick well, are quiet and run straight. I paid under $250 for the set. As long as they keep on doing what their doing, I will stay with Pirelli. I've never owned Michelins on my bikes but have heard good things about them, I love the Michelin Hydroedges on my wife's CR-V, talk about stick!
I went with Stradas too. They are really good in the wet and they should last forever. I have 4k miles and the rear has no visible wear. You have to feel it with your hand to notice just a little wear. I'm not nice to it either. I'm WOT till I hit the speed limit everywhere I go.

post #15 of 15 Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Pirellis are next on my list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« 04 919 | sighting »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode