Considering 900rr Exhaust Option - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
CG

Considering 900rr Exhaust Option

I like the old fashioned 4 into 1 header style of the 900rr setup. And the stock 900rr headers can be had pretty cheap.

I'm also guessing this would pretty much eliminate the ever-present 919 stink. About the only thing I do not like about my 919 is smelling like exhaust when I get off of it.

I'm wondering if anybody has any seen any dyno comparisons of a 919 with say Sato slip-ons vs a 919 with a stock 900rr header and a decent aftermarket can. Or possibly a complete aftermarket 900rr exhaust compared to Sato slip-ons.

I'm really happy with the performance right now with Sato slip-ons and the PCIII using the map from Dan Kyle. I wouldn't want to degrade that.

I guess another questions is which full 900rr exhausts are known NOT to fit a 919?

Any experience with the Jardine 900rr can? How about Yoshimura with the race or street baffle?

Thanks in advance for contributing info on this. I know this has been touched on in other threads but I've never seen anything on dyno comparisons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Here's a thread with a discussion of which years fit. I used a '99 and it fit just fine.

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...-07-919-a.html

post #3 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Check out my youtube vids for dyno runs. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. It did make a few more ponies than the Akro's slip on system but nothing your really going to feel. I feel like the BIG power comes on harder and lasts much longer (IMO). I was able to pull 108hp on a 90 degree day so I would say that it is a worth while mod for the little (if any gains), Improved looks and weight savings, but the no stink was worth its weight in gold!

post #4 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Check out my youtube vids for dyno runs. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. It did make a few more ponies than the Akro's slip on system but nothing your really going to feel. I feel like the BIG power comes on harder and lasts much longer (IMO). I was able to pull 108hp on a 90 degree day so I would say that it is a worth while mod for the little (if any gains), Improved looks and weight savings, but the no stink was worth its weight in gold!
And which header, can, and map are you running?

post #5 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Here's a thread with a discussion of which years fit. I used a '99 and it fit just fine.

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...-07-919-a.html
I'm looking at a stock '97 900rr header. Sounds like it should fit my '07 919. Let me know if you think not.

post #6 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Sike

Quote:
That was cool! Thanks for posting those up!

post #7 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
I'm looking at a stock '97 900rr header. Sounds like it should fit my '07 919. Let me know if you think not.
post a picture of it... if the pipes come out of the engine and run parallel straight down it will not work... the proper 900rr pipe has the #2 and #3 pipe bent at different angles to make clearance for the oil filter...

post #8 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
CG

Here's the only pic available (if this works).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Header900rr.JPG (24.6 KB, 74 views)

post #9 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
CG

post #10 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

thats the correct one... congrats... make sure and get new exhaust gaskets and pick up at least 2 extra exhaust studs.. *(they are the same for the 600-1000cc bikes)...

have fun..

post #11 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Here's the only pic available (if this works).

That one looks right. It also looks like it would clean up really well too.

post #12 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
CG

Allrightythen, I'm going for the silver '97 header. That leaves the can and map questions. There is a brand new Yoshi with a race baffle on eBay. Pricey but tempting. Any experience with that can?

I like the looks and sound of Ripper's. What can is that? And any dyno comparisons would also be helpful.

I'm more concerned about losing power somewhere than gaining any significant boost.

If I can eliminate the exhaust stink without hurting looks or performance, I'll be very satisfied.

MD Mike or anyone who's done it, do these pipes clean up to look as good as the stock 919 pipes?

I needed another bad weather project

post #13 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Sike

Quote:
MD Mike or anyone who's done it, do these pipes clean up to look as good as the stock 919 pipes?
I would get it ceramic coated (after all of the fitting and adjustment is done).

post #14 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Allrightythen, I'm going for the silver '97 header. That leaves the can and map questions. There is a brand new Yoshi with a race baffle on eBay. Pricey but tempting. Any experience with that can?

I like the looks and sound of Ripper's. What can is that? And any dyno comparisons would also be helpful.

I'm more concerned about losing power somewhere than gaining any significant boost.

If I can eliminate the exhaust stink without hurting looks or performance, I'll be very satisfied.

I needed another bad weather project
i think you'll be pleasantly surprised... the bike will be losing quite a bit of weight up top *(stock system is heavy as hell) and it will breath better with the 900rr setup...

you should feel *(as myself and others did) a nice little boost in performance...

and the weight loss makes the bike feel much lighter at slow speeds.. *(these were my observances and do not necessarily reflect your actual feelings... if your results are different please do not take this as a guarantee of results but more as a "possible"... in any way i am not legally or morally responsible if you have a different outcome)...*(side effects may include a severe allergic reaction. Stop taking it and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stools may also float due to excess lipid, have an oily appearance and be especially foul smelling. An oily anal leakage or some level of fecal incontinence may occur. There is increased fat excretion, which can be measured by determining the fecal fat level)

post #15 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
CG

Thanks Paco. Would your assessment apply to my case where I'll be "upgrading" from Satos?

I expect it will be lighter though not quite so much as compared to stock. It will be a little less pipe and one less can. Those stock cans are amazingly heavy.

post #16 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
CG

Do you guys with prior experience think the Dan Kyle Sato map works well with this setup?

post #17 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i put all my parts on the scale when i did mine, had a savings right around 20lbs over stock, plus new system is down low, i put the sato gp pipe on. sounds great, kinda loud but fun as hell.

post #18 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

^ as my esteemed one eyed colleague said.....

harrrrrrrr *(best pirate voice)... *(its all fair now that you are back to normal)

post #19 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

dont think i would say "NORMAL" but at least i stopped walking into shat. left side of the body was getting sore plus i can ride again (if it was not so damned cold out)

post #20 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
dont think i would say "NORMAL" but at least i stopped walking into shat. left side of the body was getting sore plus i can ride again (if it was not so damned cold out)
you didnt say "harrrrrrrrrr"

post #21 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Do you guys with prior experience think the Dan Kyle Sato map works well with this setup?
I have the mapping for the 900rr header on my web site. www.machmoto.com at the bottom of the home page. Everyone that has tried it, loved it.

post #22 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
CG

Quote:
I have the mapping for the 900rr header on my web site. MachMoto at the bottom of the home page. Everyone that has tried it, loved it.
Cool, thanks. How was that map created? Is it optimized for any particular can?

I'll try it for sure when I get it all together.

post #23 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Cool, thanks. How was that map created? Is it optimized for any particular can?

I'll try it for sure when I get it all together.
It was done at Schintz Racing in Decatur Indiana. It was created using my current can, but seems to be working very well with just about any other can out there as well.

post #24 of 209 Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Gets censored

Do it, I've had mine for a while and love it. I feel it really woke the bike up. I get better throttle response due to the less restrictive flow and it seems I can spin it harder. The only thing I'd do different is I'd heat wrap the headers, I sprayed mine with black high temp BBQ paint and after a couple rides they started looking crappy, plus heat wrap looks good and old school!

post #25 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
CG

I'm going to try just cleaning up the pipes like MD Mike did. I like the shiny pipes look. Ripper's looks really good also. He bought a brand new header from Honda. If I can't get good results cleaning up a used pipe, I may consider buying new eventually.

I really like the look as long as the can is not too big/long. I'm not one for too much junk in the trunk

post #26 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'm not one for too much junk in the trunk
Agreed!

post #27 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Gets censored

When I get some more disposable income I'm gonna get one of those short pipes like on the new gsxr and fab that up right below the foot peg

post #28 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
CG

I just won the shinier looking header for $40 shipped. So I'll see how it looks in person soon hopefully.

post #29 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I just won the shinier looking header for $40 shipped. So I'll see how it looks in person soon hopefully.
Thats a great price. I got my first one for about 75, it came from a 1999 bike that the guy bought, took home and stripped for track use only. the header was basically new, then that asshat rear ended me and trashed it! Oh well, Got a new one now and all is good.

Good luck with the install and I hope you can score the same kind of deal on a can as well. you might want to check Carbonpartz and see what mark will charge you for the can like mine.

post #30 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
That's a great price. I bet it costs nearly that much to ship.

post #31 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
That's a great price. I bet it costs nearly that much to ship.
I know for a fact it does! That was the deal when I won my first one on ebay, the guy wanted to back out because it cost him 68 bucks to ship it. Of course he did not package it himself, he dropped it off at a pack-n-ship place then bitched to me that he was losing money. I felt bad for the guy but he should have checked on shipping before listing it!

post #32 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'd suggest avoiding the stock 900RR header if possible, it will be a flat spot in the bike at a certain RPM, but that is really not a huge issue - it is there though, dyno proven, long ago -

There are so many options in "real" 4-1 headers, go aftermarket and get the best you can find, or, do what I did and try them all.

Here is the one I sold the bike with - a stainless 4-1 header make by Borla - found it brand new on eBay for $99.00 (header only)

Here is a Kerker system I bought, these are out there, and it seems to perform better than the stock 900RR header -

Never did make the 929 header work, angle seemed wrong - anyway....

Full Kerker System installed -

Here are the 919 and 900RR headers compared - those "expansion pipes" in the headers, I'm convinced those are what caused the flat spot on mine -

Headers, low pipes - I tried a few -

Here is a very early 900RR full system, I thought it really looked good -

And a later 900RR header with Yoshi canister -

Kerker header with Yoshi can -

Fun times those were.

post #33 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

I'd like to see your dyno graphs if you can find them. Here is one of mine, I see a dip in the curve but no Flat spot. Just wondering if the can makes a difference or not?

post #34 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Sike

There is an enormous dip on yours just after 5,000 rpm that I'm sure my finely tuned butt dyno would detect..............

Since I'm leaving for a hike, please note that was purely sarcasm...

post #35 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
There is an enormous dip on yours just after 5,000 rpm that I'm sure my finely tuned butt dyno would detect..............

Since I'm leaving for a hike, please note that was purely sarcasm...
funny how it's come to the point in Forum surfing that one needs to leave a disclaimer! LOL...

post #36 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 01:24 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
funny how it's come to the point in Forum surfing that one needs to leave a disclaimer! LOL...
*(these were my observances and do not necessarily reflect your actual feelings... if your results are different please do not take this as a guarantee of results but more as a "possible"... in any way i am not legally or morally responsible if you have a different outcome)...*(side effects may include a severe allergic reaction. Stop taking it and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stools may also float due to excess lipid, have an oily appearance and be especially foul smelling. An oily anal leakage or some level of fecal incontinence may occur. There is increased fat excretion, which can be measured by determining the fecal fat level)

post #37 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 01:27 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I'd like to see your dyno graphs if you can find them. Here is one of mine, I see a dip in the curve but no Flat spot. Just wondering if the can makes a difference or not?

Einstein, maybe you should compare your dyno graph to a stock exhaust, I did, way back when - anyway......

It's in the header pipe, here is where it is at on yours -

And mine -

Now, I could continue to school you with a 900RR (w/stock exhaust) dyno graph, showing the exact same dip or flat spot or whatever I want to call it today, but I am not in the mood and have nothing to prove to anyone.

I messed with the 919 and a variety of exhausts since the bike came out, and when I went to put the 900RR stock system on, some dude that went by "LordDuckHunter" predicted that exact dip/flat spot before I even had the bike dyno'ed.

It's not a bad thing, it's not a good thing, it is what it is.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ripper919marked.JPG (48.3 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg H9Rmarked.JPG (20.5 KB, 528 views)

post #38 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I had a comparison of the 900RR header to stock somewhere, not going to look for it now, might be at my Yahoo site -

Here is a stock comparison and with cans - note, no "dip or flat spot" with the stock header -

Anyone who has been paying any attention to the 919 and it's development over the past several years knows this to be common knowledge.

Hopefully now a few more of you newbies now know it as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dyno919jardine.jpg (45.1 KB, 521 views)

post #39 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

wow... remove all the "douchiness" from that and it would have been a fairly informative post...

but...

that "dip" in rippers dyno run was fairly minimal compaired to the one in your dyno run and honestly it is so minor i doubt he feels it...

and the ~7hp gain he has over stock is worth the tiny dip *(altho i am sure it would be nice to tune it out and have it flatter)........

i am curious why the post had to start with a insult?

post #40 of 209 Old 11-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post
Einstein, maybe you should compare your dyno graph to a stock exhaust, I did, way back when - anyway......

It's in the header pipe, here is where it is at on yours -

Now, I could continue to school you with a 900RR (w/stock exhaust) dyno graph, showing the exact same dip or flat spot or whatever I want to call it today, but I am not in the mood and have nothing to prove to anyone.

I messed with the 919 and a variety of exhausts since the bike came out, and when I went to put the 900RR stock system on, some dude that went by "LordDuckHunter" predicted that exact dip/flat spot before I even had the bike dyno'ed.

It's not a bad thing, it's not a good thing, it is what it is.

Really? You felt the need to turn this personal?

This is the reason I mention the disclaimer earlier. I wasn't trying to start anything, but you being "you", you had to open you mouth (type it actually) and turn it into a pissing match. I just wanted to see graphs to compare side to side. quite frankly dude... i'm tired of your crap! I have actually stood up for you in the past. Everything you post is negative or stepping on someone in someway. When does it end?

I will not post in this thread again, respond to any comments you make or engage with you again. Have a nice day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode