Completed Iron Butt 1000 miler on 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Completed Iron Butt 1000 miler on 919

And I'm tired. I did 1060 miles in less than 24 hours have the gas receipts to send into IBA. I was planning to run from Miami to Atlanta to visit family which is about 670 miles so I took the opportunity to add the 300 miles for IBA.

I went Miami - Gainsville - Tallahassee - Pensacola - Mobile - Montgomery - Atlanta. I left Miami late, at 7 a.m. yesterday morning and promptly spent a couple of hours in the pouring rain. About the time I got out of the rain I hit love bug country in central FL. I was covered and had to stop a couple of times to clean them off. After that the ride was uneventful except for running behind and getting cold when the sun dropped out of site around the time I hit Pensacola. It was a cold ride to Atlanta from there.

I never got around to getting a windshield and so rode naked. I packed enough stuff to fill the Givi E55 trunk and that was it. The two items I found critical for the trip were my Corbin seat and Crampbuster. I could not have done it without them. I also had the rain/wind liners for my Tourmaster jacket and pants which also saved me in the rain and after dark. I used Cortech Scarab gloves which performed well too.

I SHOULD have had many other things including a balaclava, heated vest and gloves, and probably a less buzzy bike. The vibes at 4800 RPM will work their way inward from your feet and fingers to meet somewhere in your spine. After 18 hours you may wish you'd bought a Gold Wing, or a car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post
After 18 hours you may wish you'd bought a Gold Wing, or a car.
Good job! I know that feeling lol.

post #3 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

SO IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!! Good job quite a thing to do. I think I would have to have the Corbin as well; 400mi on the stock and my ass hurts.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #4 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Good job

I did 850 over labor day weekend. Corbin saved my ass too! literally. As for the buzz, I put on a Renthal aluminum bar and feel no buzz at all. I only feel it through my feet if I rest my boots on the pegs just forward of the heel where the sole is thin. Mostly I stay on the balls of my toes and don't feel it much.

For me, the worst part was the front of my shoulders, and forgetting my crampbuster.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #5 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
HamBone

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
After 18 hours you may wish you'd bought a Gold Wing.
I'm sure you'd be tired even on a Wing, and no windshield? CRAZY! Congrats on the accomplishment, I know I've never ridden that long at once. It's always a trip going on the IronButt site to see who rode what, how far, etc...

post #6 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Nice going!

You've done a man's job, sir. (Gaff to Deckard, in Bladerunner)

post #7 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Good job. Long mileage hauls can be fun.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Princeps Prior

Yep. +1..... no fairing? wow.

Past 1 hour down the highway with my Honda flyscreen....and my neck is shot. Gotta strap on the big ugliness for anything past that.

post #9 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Thanks all. Yes, after doing 1000 miles on the niner I'm reminded of a line from The Hunt for Red October: 105% on the reactor possible, but not recommended

post #10 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Aquilifer

That is a burly ride on the 919.

I did it last year on my Triumph, and it was a challenge.

post #11 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Congrrats, Mambo...That's a great achievement! I hope to do an Ironbutt ride next year. Do you still have to get witnesses to sign off at departure and arrival? ANd where is the picture of your patch?!?

I've been looking at the Cortech Scarab gloves for my winter riding adventures. You say they were good? tell me more! What temps were you riding in, anyway? I can't imagine it was all that cold, this time of year! It's just now starting to be chilly in the early mornings here in Colorado. The lows so far are in the high 50's, and the daily highs have been in the 85-90 degree range.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #12 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Aquilifer

Not to threadjack-- but if you're doing winter rides ( or just cool rides ), I highly recommend warmers that you put under your grips.
You can find them for about $30, they're easy to install, and just plain awesome.

i.e.,

post #13 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Wow and I thought 500 miles in a day was something. Great job Mambo! You deserve a medal for a ride that extraordinary.

post #14 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
and probably a less buzzy bike. The vibes at 4800 RPM will work their way inward from your feet and fingers to meet somewhere in your spine. After 18 hours you may wish you'd bought a Gold Wing, or a car.
Sounds like you were on a Harley.........

According to the HD haters on here.......

Great accompishment, you rode right by me on your way to P-cola, I am north of Exit 85, and I hope those dang Love Bugs stay SOUTH!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #15 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Congrrats, Mambo...That's a great achievement! I hope to do an Ironbutt ride next year. Do you still have to get witnesses to sign off at departure and arrival? ANd where is the picture of your patch?!?

I've been looking at the Cortech Scarab gloves for my winter riding adventures. You say they were good? tell me more! What temps were you riding in, anyway? I can't imagine it was all that cold, this time of year! It's just now starting to be chilly in the early mornings here in Colorado. The lows so far are in the high 50's, and the daily highs have been in the 85-90 degree range.
Yes, you have to have the two witnesses based on what I read on the IBA website. I just did it yesterday so now have to submit all my documentation along with the $45 fee to get my stuff. I wanted to do it and check the box before I get too old!

I rode with regular TourMaster day gloves until the sun went down and then I switched to the Cortech Scarabs. It was in the low fifties as I headed north through AL and into GA. The scarab gloves were fine at that temp but anything colder and it would have to be heated gloves or grips I think.

post #16 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMountaintop View Post
Sounds like you were on a Harley.........

According to the HD haters on here.......

Great accompishment, you rode right by me on your way to P-cola, I am north of Exit 85, and I hope those dang Love Bugs stay SOUTH!
Those love bugs down around Port St Lucie and Ft Pierce were unreal. I had to stop and scrub myself and the bike at two service plazas in a row.

The vibes will get to you I hate to say. The only real solution was to take breaks. I have Vibranators which help but do not eliminate bar vibes. The footpegs are a whole different story. I can ride around for an hour without even noticing but 18 hours changes the game. Changing to the heavier Cortech gloves after dark actually made a big improvement as they are pretty thick and soak up a lot of vibes. The Crampbuster also allows lighter hand pressure. I tried to use the lightest touch possible on both sides.

post #17 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Wow and I thought 500 miles in a day was something. Great job Mambo! You deserve a medal for a ride that extraordinary.
Thank you sir. Now I just have to get home! I will take the straight shot back to Miami, in the daytime, and hopefully with minimal rain.

post #18 of 46 Old 09-30-2010, 01:25 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

You don't need witnesses. Your word is good here.

post #19 of 46 Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

AWESOME ! Can't wait to see the tab and the patches and the plaque and the........

post #20 of 46 Old 09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Duuuuuuurp.....

Good job! My longest was 504 and I got sicker than a dog with the cold air hitting me by the end of it. +1 on the corbin seat! I am showing my inexperience to long rides, but I gotta ask, cause I want to do some longer ones. What is this Crampbuster you speak of?

Spoiler:

Apparently I need to hit a few more states
post #21 of 46 Old 09-30-2010, 05:25 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
And I'm tired. I did 1060 miles in less than 24 hours have the gas receipts to send into IBA. I was planning to run from Miami to Atlanta to visit family which is about 670 miles so I took the opportunity to add the 300 miles for IBA.

I went Miami - Gainsville - Tallahassee - Pensacola - Mobile - Montgomery - Atlanta. I left Miami late, at 7 a.m. yesterday morning and promptly spent a couple of hours in the pouring rain. About the time I got out of the rain I hit love bug country in central FL. I was covered and had to stop a couple of times to clean them off. After that the ride was uneventful except for running behind and getting cold when the sun dropped out of site around the time I hit Pensacola. It was a cold ride to Atlanta from there.

I never got around to getting a windshield and so rode naked. I packed enough stuff to fill the Givi E55 trunk and that was it. The two items I found critical for the trip were my Corbin seat and Crampbuster. I could not have done it without them. I also had the rain/wind liners for my Tourmaster jacket and pants which also saved me in the rain and after dark. I used Cortech Scarab gloves which performed well too.

I SHOULD have had many other things including a balaclava, heated vest and gloves, and probably a less buzzy bike. The vibes at 4800 RPM will work their way inward from your feet and fingers to meet somewhere in your spine. After 18 hours you may wish you'd bought a Gold Wing, or a car.
congrats on the ride.+1
good thing it wasn't cold or you'd want to enclose the bike and add heat. hahahahhahah

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #22 of 46 Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIRIS View Post
Good job! My longest was 504 and I got sicker than a dog with the cold air hitting me by the end of it. +1 on the corbin seat! I am showing my inexperience to long rides, but I gotta ask, cause I want to do some longer ones. What is this Crampbuster you speak of?
It's an $11 piece of plastic that snaps onto your throttle - genius really. It allows you to use the palm of your hand to maintain speed on the highway rather than having to keep your fingers curled around the throttle grip. Hence the name "crampbuster." Be careful using it for the first time. If you bump it or lay your palm on it unintentionally, you'll speed off in whatever direction the bike happens to be pointed in! An alternative for more money would be a locking cruise like throttlemeister or the manic salamander version of it.

CrampBuster - The Original Motorcycle Cruise Control

post #23 of 46 Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Those love bugs down around Port St Lucie and Ft Pierce were unreal. I had to stop and scrub myself and the bike at two service plazas in a row.

The vibes will get to you I hate to say. The only real solution was to take breaks. I have Vibranators which help but do not eliminate bar vibes. The footpegs are a whole different story. I can ride around for an hour without even noticing but 18 hours changes the game. Changing to the heavier Cortech gloves after dark actually made a big improvement as they are pretty thick and soak up a lot of vibes. The Crampbuster also allows lighter hand pressure. I tried to use the lightest touch possible on both sides.
Would a Different foot position help? I know we have 2 different positions between the rider and passenger pegs, but if you have a Givi Engine guard and mount a set of pegs to it, it would give a third.

It would also help the but also I bet!

Yea those Lovebugs are hell, we have had it easy here for about 3 years, and I hope it stays that way, but I remember how bad it can be!

Black bugs turn you and your bike white!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #24 of 46 Old 10-01-2010, 08:32 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

fla.mt.top,

we dad and i did the 715 home the 3 different foot rest pos. were welcome

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #25 of 46 Old 10-02-2010, 04:16 PM
just ride it...

God Job man! I've done the Saddle Sore 1000 as well on a 919, I rolled out of knoxville, TN at 8am... rode to Jacksonville, FL, grabbed a burger, and headed home. The only problem I ran into was my dumb*ss decided to tackle the challenge in march. I too got rained on, and it got really cold about atlanta. I'll probably never do anything like that every again, I found trying to keep up with everything kinda took the fun out of the ride...

post #26 of 46 Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Dang I thought I was the first to do it on a 919. Did you ride with a windshield? Maybe I was the first to do it naked. I agree that there is no time for sight seeing on the 1000 mile ride. The 670 mile ride home from Atlanta to Miami was a cake walk after doing the 1000. Plus I rode home in the daylight with no rain - was actually a pretty nice ride down.

post #27 of 46 Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 AM
just ride it...

The ride down was great! I had a blast, the ride home is what sucked... I was running the f-16 tall, which really didn't do crap but keep my tank bag dry... This is a picture I took when I crossed into Florida...

picture is dated 03-15-09

post #28 of 46 Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

We should get some Florida guys and some of us Ky/Tenn guys to do a meet and greet Ironbutt. You guys head this way, we'll head that way. Meet halfway and eat. We'll continue south, you north, and we'll eat again on the way back. Haha. Little late in the year for us now though.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #29 of 46 Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Di"zx"en

Glad I read the whole Thread! Congrats on the ride. Dont know if I would of even thought about doing 1k on a 9ner.
This crampbuster what you guys are calling it was the original Throttle Rocker..... Have had them on every bike for the last 20 years accept my newish black one in the garage.

That'll work........
post #30 of 46 Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 AM
just ride it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
We should get some Florida guys and some of us Ky/Tenn guys to do a meet and greet Ironbutt. You guys head this way, we'll head that way. Meet halfway and eat. We'll continue south, you north, and we'll eat again on the way back. Haha. Little late in the year for us now though.

I'm all for a meet and great ride, but trying to complete an iron butt challenge with a group might be pain in the ass. One person could throw the entire ride off schedule, and now everyone is behind, and trying to play catch up sucks...

post #31 of 46 Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Tirone

Congrats guys. I would love to take my 919 touring. And track it on the same tires. Just want to prove that the 919 is the most awesome bike ever. Got Renthall UL's in lthe mail!

post #32 of 46 Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

HondaJim ~ meet and greet

How about someone from the West meeting ya'll at Mobile,AL and grab a burger?

I grafted a Vista Cruise on the 919 and have a Throttle Master on the BMW.
How un-sacred of me, I like the Vista best! It's great to let go of the bars completely and stretch your arms, hands, and back for a mile.

[
post #33 of 46 Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Tirone

Congrats on the achievement! Longest ride I have done is 800 miles. I detest the highway so 95% of my travels are back roads. Hard to rack up the same mileage on the backroads(longest is 620 and I was beat after that!) I did the Spenser seat upgrade and go with a sheep skin seat cover. I also go with the Aerostich riding pants. The only thing that ever bothers me is the old butt cheeks. When you reach the fatigue point your ability to find a comfortable spot seems impossible.

I swear by the Throttlemeiser. A little expensive but I wouldn't want to use any other. The Vista Cruise required too much to make it work and after taking a 1400 mile ride to St.Louis and back with my bro, I watched him use the Crampbuster and that thing seems like a deathtrap!

On that note. I have a new Vista Cruise I would give to somebody just for the cost of shipping. Maybe somebody else would want the hassle of getting it to work(shipping I don't think would be more than $5 anywhere because the thing is light). First come first serve.

Sorry if I am slow with a response(preemptive). I will give it to the first to respond(not trying to threadjack)

post #34 of 46 Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Di"zx"en

dwm440....Shot you a PM

That'll work........
post #35 of 46 Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Deadman

Congradulations!!!!! That is one hell of an accomplishment. Hope you had your Anti Monkey Butt Powder with you. You are one that walks the walks and not just talking the talk.

post #36 of 46 Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 PM
TRIP

Man, my helmet's off to ya! I did 650 in about 14 hours in August, and realized I was only 350 away from an Iron Butt, so really have been thinking seriously about it. Damn I remember love bugs from living in south Alabama. Birds won't eat them. They are one of those creatures that you can't figure out why they exist. And for those who aren't familiar with them, it's kind of like a biblical plague of BUGS by the thousands. They cover everything; the spatters will eat through the paint, and I can't imagine a face shield covered with them. They stink too! I feel for ya, but great job.

post #37 of 46 Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Tesserarius

My longest ride was 650 miles but that was after riding 1100 the previous 2 days. 1700 miles in three days is quite tiring. Im hoping to do a Iron Butt 1000 ride next year.

post #38 of 46 Old 10-15-2010, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Damn I remember love bugs from living in south Alabama. Birds won't eat them. They are one of those creatures that you can't figure out why they exist. And for those who aren't familiar with them, it's kind of like a biblical plague of BUGS by the thousands. They cover everything; the spatters will eat through the paint, and I can't imagine a face shield covered with them. They stink too! I feel for ya, but great job.
I am not originally from FL and knew nothing of love bugs until this trip. I have since learned more. It turns out they have two mating seasons per year, late spring and late summer. The second round is in mid-September. Had I known I would have postponed my trip a few weeks. What you say about a biblical plague is true. When I stopped to get them off at two turnpike service plazas, people were batting them around and trying to scrub them off their paint. I had them all over my headlight, helmet shield, and a few more on the radiator area. Cars and larger vehicles had it worse. They are hard to get off but you've got to get them off the paint ASAP. I could actually see them coming in the air and try to dodge, usually to no avail - it was a surreal experience!

Thanks again all - sent my paperwork into IBA this week and even paid $7 more to get a patch.

post #39 of 46 Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Your "lovebugs" are similar to out Junebugs up here, I can sympathise, I've caught a few in the throat over the years and they SUCK! I can't imagine a swarm of 'em...

post #40 of 46 Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Formerly ASYNC

That's awsome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode