cold weather riding: adaptor for charger plug, 12 volt access, etc - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

cold weather riding: adaptor for charger plug, 12 volt access, etc

Hey All,

I've been transferred at work, and finding myself traveling another 15 minutes down the local overburdened interstate. I could handle (just barely) the previous 20 minute ride to work in 30 degree weather with my unheated leather gauntlets. Coupla' mornings my hands didn't stop hurting until about 11am, but, hey, I survived. But now with further distance to travel, I'm thinking about an upgrade to heated gloves. I've had heated handgrips in the past, but I'd rather go the glove route and see if I can keep the tips of my fingers warm.

The Gerbing stuff is what I'm looking at.

The problem is that I have a Battery Tender pigtail, and a horn relay harness already hooked up to the battery on a full time basis, and there physically isn't room for any more wiring attachments to the battery.

Gerbing's battery powered gloves are interesting, but WebBike World said the design of the battery pouch is such that it places pressure on the wrist once the gauntlet is stuffed. Which I'll be doing with a full size leather jacket sleeve end that's finished off on the bulky side, with a cuff.

I'm thinking it would be better to run the gloves off the bike's battery.

Is there some way to use the Battery Tender pigtail to provide the juice for the gloves? The Gerbing website implies that the Tender plug is not a standard SAE plug.

Are there adaptors for the Tender style plug that end in the Gerbing coaxial style plug? None are shown on the Gerbing website.

Am I going to have to install some kind of power source "bar" away from the battery where I can more easily hook this stuff up? And if so what do you call something like that, and where do I buy it?

Ideas?

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Sike

Give them a call, they have different adapters that can replace your charging cord and either do both jobs or work with a second cord to do both jobs (I had one, but I don't remember exactly how it worked). They are about 1 1/2 hour ride south of me and are really nice folks.

post #3 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 03:31 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Check out this website. I bet this guy has something that will work.
I got a battery tender adapter from him to plug my GPS into.

COAX | Bohemian Biker Blog

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
Check out this website. I bet this guy has something that will work.
I got a battery tender adapter from him to plug my GPS into.

COAX | Bohemian Biker Blog
Interesting link. But the Gerbing site has what appears to be the same item, and the description reads:
* SAE plug on one end and a coax male plug on the other end.
* Connects pre-2003 clothing from Gerbing's, which used SAE plugs, to new coax controllers.
* Cannot be used to power heated clothing from a Battery Tender plug.
The last sentence being the problem.

Sike, I think I'll give them a call. I can't figure out why a Battery Tender SAE would not be OK, but an SAE cable made by them (or from the site Gary provided) might, or would be.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I called Gerbing, and as soon as I asked the question about adapting a Battery Tender connection, I was treated like a persona non grata. Unfriendly reception.....& when I gently tried to find out more information about why they don't recommend trying to adapt this kind of connection, I got nowhere. Then it was all I could do get some comparative information about their glove choices.
Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or experiences about how to readily make additional 12V access possible by mounting a "bus bar" or some other like device?

post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamperman View Post
I called Gerbing, and as soon as I asked the question about adapting a Battery Tender connection, I was treated like a persona non grata. Unfriendly reception.....& when I gently tried to find out more information about why they don't recommend trying to adapt this kind of connection, I got nowhere. Then it was all I could do get some comparative information about their glove choices.
Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or experiences about how to readily make additional 12V access possible by mounting a "bus bar" or some other like device?
That is so weird............

Google the company "Powerlet", I have gotten a bunch of stuff from them over the years and they probably have something that would solve this problem.

Good Luck!

post #7 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Let me know if you find out anything about a 'power bar'. Between the 599 harness, the battery tender, and the desire for an adapter for a cell phone charger I just don't think there is going to be the room for it.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I've had good luck with Comp accessories, they have some SAE to Coax adapters listed like you were asking about.
Heated Motorcycle Apparel, Heated Motorcycle Gloves, Heated Motorcycle Jackets, Heated Motorcycle Vests, Heated Motorcycle Pants, Heated Motorcycle Masks, Heated Motorcycle Balaclavas, Motorcycle Heating Electronics

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #10 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 PM
no max no more

just buy some hippo hands problem solved

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode