coke or pepsi - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By LDH

post #1 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
mad english

coke or pepsi

i gotta say, i was bleeding red my whole life. i loved me a honda, mrs. rides a honda. a coupla years back i took a deal on the FZ8. it was literally the day before the FZ07 hit. man i wish i had waited!! i have been oggling yamaha ever since and they have been smacking the skin of the ball on beautiful naked bikes. handa, you are getting left in the dust in NA and will have a road to make it back!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Aquilifer

Just sold my FZ07, the 919 is twice the bike.

Had the ECU re-flash with less than 100 miles because the engine braking IMO was unbearable.

Dump another $1000 on the suspension just to get it acceptable.

It was light and fun, but a 919 replacement it is NOT! Now the FJ09, possible.............

post #3 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Optio

Garage
I've been really eyeing up up some of the stuff that's out/coming out with the Super Duke, GSX-S1000 and MT10 sitting high on my list. I've had my 919 for 9 years and still very much enjoy it but I've been thinking about replacing it. Going to test ride a couple this summer and see if any can replace the 919 yet.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #4 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 09:12 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I want that retro 900 Yamaha thing

post #5 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
mad english

i agree. loved my 9er. i bought and sold teh same bike 3 times. but it's now 8-9 years old? how may CB replacements do you see on the road. sorry to hear about the FZ7. again, not a real life comparo. i do believe it's coke or pepsi some days, but hinda needs to get moving, their stable is sta(b)le! eg: we never even saw the replacement hornet here.

post #6 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 10:59 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonanc View Post
i agree. loved my 9er. i bought and sold teh same bike 3 times. but it's now 8-9 years old? how may CB replacements do you see on the road. sorry to hear about the FZ7. again, not a real life comparo. i do believe it's coke or pepsi some days, but hinda needs to get moving, their stable is sta(b)le! eg: we never even saw the replacement hornet here.
We got the CB1000R, but it wasn't enough of an upgrade over the 9'er to justify buying if you already have a 9'er. Especially at MSRP.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #7 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I want that retro 900 Yamaha thing
XSR900, I like it a lot as well. TC, ABS, slipper clutch, light and IMO good looking, just wish Yamaha would get off the 3.7 gallon fuel tank (R3, FZ07, FZ09, XSR900) kick.

GSX-S1000 looks promising too.

post #8 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Yea that thing!

HeliMech and theboom like this.

post #9 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Yea that thing!
I agree it's intriguing, but the power numbers suck!

post #10 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 01:01 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I was told they were over 100 at the wheel with a super smooth torque curve

post #11 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Left of Centre

The numbers don't look too shabby - I'd have a bumblebee one, myself.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produ...turestechspecs

post #12 of 32 Old 05-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
but the power numbers suck!

Said NO ONE who has rode a FZ09, FJ09, Or this.

The motor punches above it's displacement. I'm sure the light weight of these bikes has a lot to do with it.

post #13 of 32 Old 05-24-2016, 02:53 AM
oops hurts

Garage
Im keen on these new/old yamahas, but will they even produce them as long as the 919 was?

Which means when you go to replace the obviously shitty suspension and FI and exhaust who will even bother to sell it?

Who will even make better handlebars for it? *no one*. These bikes are not good stock.

Who will even make frame sliders and integrated LED taillights? *noone*

post #14 of 32 Old 05-24-2016, 03:03 AM
oops hurts

Garage
Not to neg on Yamaha, but the FZ1 I bought after I wrecked my first 9er was really a piece of crap and Im sure there no aftermarket for any of it except a PCIII. These one size fits all bikes are for the birds.

post #15 of 32 Old 05-24-2016, 03:13 AM
oops hurts

Garage
If I wanted to drop coin on an a bike with no mods, it would be a Tuono for sure.

post #16 of 32 Old 06-12-2016, 11:42 PM
Left of Centre

post #17 of 32 Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I test rode the gsx-s 1000 recently, and yeah, it's a hell of a bike. BUT, the 919 wasn't far behind. The 919 I feel has roughly the same if not more mid range torque. The 919 romps wheelies way easier as well. But obviously the 10 year newer bike will be....10 years newer. The transmission was ULTRA smooth. Throttle response was bonkers. (honestly might be too sensitive, little bumps will have your arms jerking at the bars to hold on!) but the biggest thing was the suspension...man was that thing planted. The 919 gets all wobbly when going over bumps, but this thing not only sucked up the bumps better, but was planted through them as well. In my opinion though, it doesn't feel "special" like the hornet does. If i had the opportunity to trade up for free, I'd rather keep my 919.

post #18 of 32 Old 06-13-2016, 07:49 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
The numbers don't look too shabby - I'd have a bumblebee one, myself.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produ...turestechspecs
That's no bumble bee! That's a Kenny Roberts!

ďIn my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.Ē
General George S. Patton
post #19 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 03:04 AM
Left of Centre

...and that's why I'd have one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg bbee.jpeg (10.3 KB, 45 views)

post #20 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Josh

Garage
The XSR900 is exactly what will make me replace my 919. TC, ABS, lighter weight, more power, good looks, better suspension. Yamaha has been hitting it out of the park since the introduction of the FZ-09.

post #21 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 11:25 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post
The XSR900 is exactly what will make me replace my 919. TC, ABS, lighter weight, more power, good looks, better suspension. Yamaha has been hitting it out of the park since the introduction of the FZ-09.
Not that much of an improvement in power. The CB1 had more power and it was still considered crap. 115 hp and 64 ftlbs is a joke.

Sorry, I got tired of the Asian bikes not matching up to the expectations of UJM with modern naked bike power output. The gauge on that thing is really sweet though and I hope to see it carried over to other bikes.

For the new price of an xsr900, I could pick up a higher powered naked bike for nearly half the price. So I did. Sure it didn't come with traction control or abs, that's no loss for me as my next naked bike will have them. Just a matter of cost. Until then, I'd rather have the power output and more refined chassis to hold me over.

post #22 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 11:27 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

All of you guys here are seasoned riders. I've known most of you for a very long time so why in the bloody hell would you ever want a bike with ABS???

post #23 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
For the new price of an xsr900, I could pick up a higher powered naked bike for nearly half the price. So I did. Sure it didn't come with traction control or abs, that's no loss for me as my next naked bike will have them. Just a matter of cost. Until then, I'd rather have the power output and more refined chassis to hold me over.
A naked bike with a better chassis and more power than the XSR900, all for $4000? That sounds like a dream come true! Do tell!

Quote:
All of you guys here are seasoned riders. I've known most of you for a very long time so why in the bloody hell would you ever want a bike with ABS???
For the same reason I want all of my cars to have ABS. I'm no robot, I'm a human that makes "errors in judgement." If ABS can salvage my ham-fisted attempt at emergency braking in the rain, I'll take it.

post #24 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
For the same reason I want all of my cars to have ABS. I'm no robot, I'm a human that makes "errors in judgement." If ABS can salvage my ham-fisted attempt at emergency braking in the rain, I'll take it.

So what about the rest of the time when you are not tip-toeing around riding like a grandma in the wet conditions? How about when you are out railing in the bright sunny backroads at full-tilt speed of heat and the ABS extends your braking distance by 30 extra feet past where you should have already set your entry speed for the corner?

post #25 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
So what about the rest of the time when you are not tip-toeing around riding like a grandma in the wet conditions? How about when you are out railing in the bright sunny backroads at full-tilt speed of heat and the ABS extends your braking distance by 30 extra feet past where you should have already set your entry speed for the corner?
HA. You're cute. I commute in heavy traffic, and hit the twisties about 2-3x a year. I really appreciate your estimation of my riding skill, but compared to even decent riders I ALWAYS ride like a grandma. Not that I'm a pussy, I just don't have the skill or practice. I am a LONG way off from being a better braker than a modern ABS system. And I'm pretty sure the only people that can outbrake a modern ABS system get paid to ride motorcycles. I would love to see your study on how ABS increases braking distances though.

post #26 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 11:51 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure the only people that can outbrake a modern ABS system get paid to ride motorcycles. I would love to see your study on how ABS increases braking distances though.

I get paid to ride motorcycles and can easily outbrake any OEM ABS system on a production bike wet or dry..

post #27 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
I get paid to ride motorcycles and can easily outbrake any OEM ABS system on a production bike wet or dry..
In ideal situations, when you know your brake marker, I'm sure you can. I cannot even in those conditions. And I definitely can't in non-deal situations, like on a greasy interstate, a slimy side-street intersection, or a gravel and mud covered country road, when a car pulls out in front of me or slams on their brakes because there is a freaking bird on the road.

Mythbusters: ABS-Equipped Bike | A Good Rider Doesn't Need ABS | Super Streetbike

post #28 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 12:27 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Well I cannot fault you for creating your own expectations and assessing your own skill level which may very well be higher than you give yourself credit for. I would be inclined to agree that in a world where a new rider just grabs a handful of brake without the skillset for proper modulation that an ABS system would be a better choice for preventing a panic crash. In a world full of seasoned riders with more than a modicum of proficiency at riding I have yet to meet anyone that can truly say that their ABS bike can do something for them that they cannot do for themselves. In a racetrack environment where results in the form of lap times are considered the bible an ABS bike is not only a hindrance, but in many cases downright dangerous as speeds increase

post #29 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 01:06 PM
The Cripple

Quote:

A naked bike with a better chassis and more power than the XSR900, all for $4000? That sounds like a dream come true! Do tell!I'll take it.
It's called a Tuono... If you're patient enough, you'll find one for $4,000. I got a pristine 2009 with 3,100 on the clock for $5,000. Yeah. I'll take that over a new xsr900 any day and happily ride circles around it.

For the record LDH, it's not that I want abs, it's that it's becoming the new standard as well as a marketing line. I'll admit, traction control has me intrigued, so long as I can turn it off. I would love wheelie control though. Simply because I don't have the skills, bike, location, or mentoring to learn/practice safely without risk of crashing on the street. I've read about it but I'm just a visual/hands on person.

post #30 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Is it really that easy to outperform abs? I would have figured that with technology nowadays, it'd be really close to the limit of what a person could do. I'm actually surprised at how hard it is to lock the front, but it's not exactly some Id like happen to me when I'm coming into turn 1.

post #31 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 07:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have starting to like the old bikes better, and better all the time, if for no other reason than they don't have the electronic crap. Plus, they're getting cheap! I bought an excellent 929. That's more bike than I can use. Honestly, the old 01 Interceptor, that I got recently is a better match for me. <No traction control, abs, or ride modes. If I get caught in the rain, I just take it easy.

I've ridden an FZ9. Yamaha bought a 990 Super Duke, and built their own version. All the specs are the same, except the Yammer got cheap components, whereas the KTM got the good stuff.

I really don't know how bikes are going to get much better than they were 15 years ago. So what do the manufacturers do? Put a bunch of needless electronic crap on them. The latest rendition of the Interceptor has TC, and abs. Really? TC on a 780cc with 100 hp?

post #32 of 32 Old 06-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
It's called a Tuono... If you're patient enough, you'll find one for $4,000. I got a pristine 2009 with 3,100 on the clock for $5,000. Yeah. I'll take that over a new xsr900 any day and happily ride circles around it.
For some reason I overlook the Tuono too often. Maybe because I don't have an Aprilia dealer within 3 hours of me, they aren't easy to find around me. That bike was always well loved by the journos. I do love me a good twin as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode