Coerce CF Front Fender - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

Coerce CF Front Fender

So, a few weeks ago someone backed into my bike. No biggie, she paid for a new fender, and I went ahead and bought a Coerce CF unit. It just arrived yesterday, and I went to install today, to find much to my dismay...

It doesn't fit, it doesn't line up with the bolt holes, and it rubs the tyre. And it generally looks like garbage. Now, for what I had to pay to get this, I would have expected better quality. Is this typical for Coerce, or did I just get the one screwy one?

(By the way... when she hit the bike, it pushed it back almost 2 feet on the kickstand. Dug into the concrete pretty good. Turned the fender into shrapnel, though... )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

My sister-in-law backed into her husbands bike and busted his front end up pretty bad. Let us know what you find from this company because he is wanting to replace it with carbon fiber. She pushed his bike almost 6 feet, it didn't ever fall over, but did bend the kickstand forward so badly that he has to park it with a 2x4 under the stand.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
My sister-in-law backed into her husbands bike and busted his front end up pretty bad. Let us know what you find from this company because he is wanting to replace it with carbon fiber. She pushed his bike almost 6 feet, it didn't ever fall over, but did bend the kickstand forward so badly that he has to park it with a 2x4 under the stand.
Ouch! I feel for him. I've never layed my 919 down, but my dad knocked it over twice(Brake lever, bar end, handlebar, and clutch cover both times!) and now it just got backed into. Getting sick of other people messing my bike up for me!

post #4 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

hey Husky...

I thought I was the only 9er in the big O.
Sorry to hear about the mishap & crappy fitment.

post #5 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Looks like they use a very brittle Resin from what looks like spiderweb cracks and if the holes are not lined up perfect you will be twisting the piece not allowing it to sit straight. As with a lot of parts like this you may need open one of the mounting holes a little. From the way it's twisted I'd say the hole on the right side needs to be bigger (slotted upward) to allow the piece to relax.

post #6 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Looks like they use a very brittle Resin from what looks like spiderweb cracks and if the holes are not lined up perfect you will be twisting the piece not allowing it to sit straight. As with a lot of parts like this you may need open one of the mounting holes a little. From the way it's twisted I'd say the hole on the right side needs to be bigger (slotted upward) to allow the piece to relax.
Just curious... would you do that with a small rat-tail jewlers file or something? I've never worked in CF, but I'd like to know in case something like this happens to me... Rather fix it if it's something small like that than have to send it back - extra shipping costs - plus missing riding time because the fender is missing... or would you just say get a refund?

post #7 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I have an ART CF front fender, had to do a minor bit of enlarging of the bolt holes but other than that it fit perfectly. I'd not mess with it and get a refund.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #8 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjayp View Post
Just curious... would you do that with a small rat-tail jewlers file or something? I've never worked in CF, but I'd like to know in case something like this happens to me... Rather fix it if it's something small like that than have to send it back - extra shipping costs - plus missing riding time because the fender is missing... or would you just say get a refund?
I'd use a Dremel. CF is easier to work with than most people think because most bits, files and grinders used for metal work will do the job.

post #9 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I'd use a Dremel. CF is easier to work with than most people think because most bits, files and grinders used for metal work will do the job.
ripper have you considered making front fenders and maybe even rear huggers out of carbon fiber? maybe to compliment the windscreen?

post #10 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 02:30 PM

I have the same front fender. When I installed mine it looked just like yours. I had to use felt spacers underneath and against the lower fork tubes to square it. Loosen the bolts a lot and space to square. I was disapointed also but got it to look ok. hope this helps.

post #11 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

I had the CF Corece front fender when I had the 919 standard forks. And, I had the same problem as you and ilovheros. I corrected the problem similar to ilovheros, but I used rubber weather stripping underneath the flares (the ones over forks) to align the fender. No big deal, but it would've been nice to simply bolt up and be done. And don't forget to use rubber grommets or washers at the mounting points to prevent cracking.

post #12 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

The reason you are needing to use spacers is the fenders were made by a simple overlay. the part is bigger and when you tighten it down it is warping, I would have thought the holes were in the wrong location but a larger piece will do the same thing. Rather than making a mold of the piece they are just laying it over the stock piece to make the CF unit. Nothing wrong with that but the end result is a larger than stock piece.

post #13 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 04:08 PM
bike n00b

Quote:
The reason you are needing to use spacers is the fenders were made by a simple overlay Nothing wrong with that but the end result is a larger than stock piece.
Judging by the pics, I would say there is something a little wrong with that method. If it were me making a piece once, then no biggie. A commercial setup where the idea is to manufacture a piece for consumers, however needs to do it right. Make a mold, keep headaches to a minimum. For the price of CF, it had better work pretty painlessly.

post #14 of 35 Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

damn right Alinosa

post #15 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
hey Husky...

I thought I was the only 9er in the big O.
Sorry to hear about the mishap & crappy fitment.

Wooo! I was starting to think the same! You almost were, lol. I had an offer for a straight across trade on my 919 for an RC51... Much as I love the niner, I love RVTs more! Anyways, obviously it didn't work out.

So, you still riding? Or did you pack it in for the season? I'm gonna go for a quickie later tonight(sans front fender -.-). Hit me up if you wanna go.

post #16 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 03:58 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Haven't completely given up yet. Busy tonight though.
PM me if you wanna get out Sunday evening

Didya see this: http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/917880014.html

post #17 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinosa View Post
Judging by the pics, I would say there is something a little wrong with that method. If it were me making a piece once, then no biggie. A commercial setup where the idea is to manufacture a piece for consumers, however needs to do it right. Make a mold, keep headaches to a minimum. For the price of CF, it had better work pretty painlessly.

There is nothing wrong with an over lay process. Buy like I stated, you end up with a larger piece! to do an over lay the right way you need to mold the inside of the piece first so you end up smaller than stock piece and then make your parts off that. Your parts end up same as stock! Some parts are not going to be affected by over lay, such as my windscreen. You would never know they are just a hair larger. I suppose I could go the other side and have it smaller, but with a piece like the screen you still wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

I'm not defending them or there workmanship, I'm stating that there are several ways to work with CF. Depending on the price point you are shooting for and whether or not it will be structural part will determine the process you use!

post #18 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Oh no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I owned a 1990 Ninja ZX-10 and had it on its centerstand in our garage. My wife was driving our new 1990 Taraus SHO and as she was backing into the garage, she made contact with my bike and slid it from one end of the garage to the other end. I was in the shower at the opposite end of our house and heard this terrible sound. I turn off the water, grab a towel and bolt to the door. My wife meets me in the kitchen screaming, "You stupid Son-of-B#^t$h!!!" I go past her to check the damage. There was just a small scratch on the fender and the bumper of the SHO. The sound was like King Kong running his fingernails down a 50 ft. chaulk board and she said she never heard it. I now keep my bikes in another garage that she doesn't go in. Thanks, JD

post #19 of 35 Old 11-15-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
It's like... ya know?

Quote:

Didya see this: http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/917880014.html
Gorgeous. And I might have gotten 5500 for my bike when I bought it(only had about 3K miles) but no way I'd come close now. I bought it in June(July?) and since then, I've put over 8000 miles on it, including a ride from Omaha to Chicago and back.

And sounds excellent, looks like it's gonna be in the fifties and sunny, looking forward to it!

post #20 of 35 Old 11-16-2008, 12:11 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanit View Post
I owned a 1990 Ninja ZX-10 and had it on its centerstand in our garage. My wife was driving our new 1990 Taraus SHO and as she was backing into the garage, she made contact with my bike and slid it from one end of the garage to the other end. I was in the shower at the opposite end of our house and heard this terrible sound. I turn off the water, grab a towel and bolt to the door. My wife meets me in the kitchen screaming, "You stupid Son-of-B#^t$h!!!" I go past her to check the damage. There was just a small scratch on the fender and the bumper of the SHO. The sound was like King Kong running his fingernails down a 50 ft. chaulk board and she said she never heard it. I now keep my bikes in another garage that she doesn't go in. Thanks, JD
i know its illegal to hit them..... but wouldnt that be a shaking offense????

(the above is a cheap attempt at humor and is not meant in any way shape or form to condone the abuse or shaking of females)

post #21 of 35 Old 11-16-2008, 04:07 AM
bike n00b

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with an over lay process. Buy like I stated, you end up with a larger piece! to do an over lay the right way you need to mold the inside of the piece first so you end up smaller than stock piece and then make your parts off that. Your parts end up same as stock! Some parts are not going to be affected by over lay, such as my windscreen. You would never know they are just a hair larger. I suppose I could go the other side and have it smaller, but with a piece like the screen you still wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

I'm not defending them or there workmanship, I'm stating that there are several ways to work with CF. Depending on the price point you are shooting for and whether or not it will be structural part will determine the process you use!
I didn't mean to imply that using an overlay process was bad in and of itself. If the manufacturer had taken a mold of the original and laid the carbon down into the negative they created, the piece would probably have fit a lot better. It sounds to me like they overlaid the original, said "that's good enough" and ran with it. If they had done as you described, I bet more people would be satisfied with their pieces. At the very least it would be easier to install, and less worrisome to the consumer. Any chance that you're going to start copying body pieces in CF too? (Since you know how to make them correctly!)

*crosses fingers*

post #22 of 35 Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
necked 919

I too had the same issue with the Coerse CF front fender and it was also remedied by opening up the holes, aligning the fender and tightening up the screws.

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #23 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Many a time I have given serious thought to the thought of a "Bitch Slap" of a female who deserved one but never have. You know, all that "don't ever hit a girl" stuff while growing up by the folks has keep me from actually doing it- Beside, I don't own any white, wife beater, tank tops!!!

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #24 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
Many a time I have given serious thought to the thought of a "Bitch Slap" of a female who deserved one but never have. You know, all that "don't ever hit a girl" stuff while growing up by the folks has keep me from actually doing it- Beside, I don't own any white, wife beater, tank tops!!!
Hey man gimmie your address and I'll mail you one. Then you can be rappin women in da head.

post #25 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 02:28 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
50$ says this poor slub don't beat his wife.....

post #26 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 05:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post

Barton that image is quiet common around here. There is a military base connected to my town. All of the guys go off to War and make money while the wives sit at home watch the kids and get fat.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #27 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
So, you still riding? Or did you pack it in for the season? I'm gonna go for a quickie later tonight(sans front fender -.-). Hit me up if you wanna go.
Quote:
I think this weekend will be my last one before I put mine to rest for the winter.
Looks like maybe around 50. Either of you guys up for a little time away from home?

2006 Honda 919
post #28 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
Barton that image is quiet common around here. There is a military base connected to my town. All of the guys go off to War and make money while the wives sit at home watch the kids and get fat.

post #29 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Discen

Quote:

I still say that's a dude on the left. His hairline is further receded than mine. And mine's going fast.

2006 Honda 919
post #30 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolff View Post
I still say that's a dude on the left.
+1

That was my first reaction when I saw the pic. Yes, looks a bit man-ish

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #31 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolff View Post
I still say that's a dude on the left. His hairline is further receded than mine. And mine's going fast.
Her hairline is fine. I think her face just outgrew it.

If there hadn't been similar complaints in this thread about the fender my next next thought was the front forks are bent. They aren't right?

post #32 of 35 Old 11-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig View Post
Her hairline is fine. I think her face just outgrew it.

If there hadn't been similar complaints in this thread about the fender my next next thought was the front forks are bent. They aren't right?
sometimes when i look at my handlebars in relation to my forks they look slightly skewed........... i think i am gonna have a professional check the alignment..

post #33 of 35 Old 11-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Cornicen

fork realignment
pushed yer bike how far? on the stand
fork realignment
tightened down a misaligned front fender?
forks binding
loosen everything
retighten axle first
then
-fender
-lower triple clamp
-top nut
-top clamp
in that order.
where's that army base again?

post #34 of 35 Old 11-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Sike

Quote:

Any chance you could PM me you psych's phone number so I could consult with him about your meds.

Or, is business that slow???

post #35 of 35 Old 11-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Any chance you could PM me you psych's phone number so I could consult with him about your meds.

Or, is business that slow???
i walked out of there 2 weeks ago in protest.. i am actually doing my own little business cleaning the hulls of boats while they are in the water..... which in a nutshell means i scuba down and scrape barnacles off of boats... so if you know anyone down here with boats have them call me i need some more customers...

and if you think that picture was bad you should have seen the rest of the photo album... scary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode