Clutch Upgrade and other items - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Clutch Upgrade and other items

Hey guys and gals, just looking ahead to next fall and what I might want to do with the 919.

Is there any benefit and what would that benefit be to upgrade the clutch kit in the 919? Will I see any? And what is the better performance clutch kit out there.

Also I thought about upgrading the springs in the front forks, I don't really want to go down the road and do the 900RR fork replacement. However will I see any difference where the '03 I have has non-adjustable fronts.

As well where do I find any instructions on how and what to do to adjust the rear shock?

Thanks ahead of time

Mel

2003 919 Gloss Black
K&N, Barracuda Headlight and Turn Signals, MBD Bellypan, Leo Vince Slip Ons, PCIII with LDH Map, Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail, Homemade Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Handlebars, Rizoma Grips and Bar Ends, Racetech 1Kg fork springs

2008 Dodge Charger Inferno Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Aquilifer

i'll start by being dickish: name ONE thing bad about your clutch.

i spent a LOT of time looking over cbr900 forums (about the same clutch) and it appears you don't get no better than OEM on these parts either, like many honda parts. i added a lockup mechanism to mine because i need it, but i do dozens and dozens of drag launches on genuine honda clutch and i always will and it holds up very well. GREAT , buttery feel at the lever.

aftermarket makes CHEAPER clutches but hondas clutches rock the shizz.

post #3 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Well that's what I needed to know about clutches :-) Thanks Bucky and you didn't sound dickish :-)

There's nothing wrong with mine just wanted to get an idea about what an upgrade might give me and I am an average street rider with a scattered good razz on it :-)

Thanks

2003 919 Gloss Black
K&N, Barracuda Headlight and Turn Signals, MBD Bellypan, Leo Vince Slip Ons, PCIII with LDH Map, Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail, Homemade Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Handlebars, Rizoma Grips and Bar Ends, Racetech 1Kg fork springs

post #4 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I think I have only heard of one person having to replace their factory clutch so far. Tourings bike got 77000 miles and still had the original one to my knowledge. I have about 135 000 kms with my original one. No slipage yet.

Spoiler:

post #5 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
i'll start by being dickish: name ONE thing bad about your clutch.

i spent a LOT of time looking over cbr900 forums (about the same clutch) and it appears you don't get no better than OEM on these parts either, like many honda parts. i added a lockup mechanism to mine because i need it, but i do dozens and dozens of drag launches on genuine honda clutch and i always will and it holds up very well. GREAT , buttery feel at the lever.

aftermarket makes CHEAPER clutches but hondas clutches rock the shizz.
I had wondered if the 900 had different springs at least, the 919 feeling so soft compared to the ancient stuff I learned on. Did a P/N check and found they were the same. I stopped right there. (By then I had already fished around for stiffer springs. EBC has 10 % stiffer springs, while the Barnetts are about 15% stiffer than stock)

post #6 of 14 Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 AM
McTavish

Rear Shock Adjustment

Melvin,

Did you get the rear shock adjust info you were looking for ? It sounds as though you don't have the Owners Manual or the Factory Service Manual. If you still need it, send me a PM and I'll scan and send info to you.

McRomo in Calgary (Newfoundland is an wonderful place, need to vacation there some day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin.goodyear View Post
Hey guys and gals, just looking ahead to next fall and what I might want to do with the 919.

Is there any benefit and what would that benefit be to upgrade the clutch kit in the 919? Will I see any? And what is the better performance clutch kit out there.

Also I thought about upgrading the springs in the front forks, I don't really want to go down the road and do the 900RR fork replacement. However will I see any difference where the '03 I have has non-adjustable fronts.

As well where do I find any instructions on how and what to do to adjust the rear shock?

Thanks ahead of time

Mel

post #7 of 14 Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I have the service manual it gives a brief description on what tool to use, but what's the reasoning for "loosening" and "tightening" the nut?

2003 919 Gloss Black

post #8 of 14 Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 PM
McTavish

Which Nut Are You Referring To ?

Melvin,

Which nut do you mean in an effort to adjust what ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin.goodyear View Post
I have the service manual it gives a brief description on what tool to use, but what's the reasoning for "loosening" and "tightening" the nut?

post #9 of 14 Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Discen

I believe the only nut you would need a special tool for would be the one holding on the clutch basket since it has that stupid thing on it to hold it in place. Unless, we have moved to shocks completely, then I would assume he is talking about the lower retainer for preload . . .

post #10 of 14 Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Imaginifer

I replaced my standard clutch and springs for uprated ebc items as i killed it on the dyno!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #11 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM
The Cripple

yeah woodeeee.. but you're also running a turbo on yours, makes a wee difference methinks lol.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Yeah I have forgotten about the clutch :-)

I am referring to the rear shock. Using the spanner does what to the shock when you turn it to the right and what does it do when turning it to the left?
If I compress the shock is it better for one or two people? I assume compressing the shock makes for a stiffer ride in the back, and what happens to the front handling where I have non-adjustable shocks?

2003 919 Gloss Black

post #13 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
The Cripple

ur exactly right melvin. by compressing the shock (increasing preload), you stiffen up the rear in order to take on more weight. the rear shock as it is alone, can handle 2-up cuz it's just too damn stiff in the first place. with some weight on it, it's almost perfect.

front handling will be affected. but depends on how much weight is on the bike. just play with it and see what setting suits you best.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Gets censored

yeah just move it one click at a time and see where ya end up. I'm heavy so I worked my way up to 3 clicks backed it back down to 2 clicks and that feels good to me. I do like it a little stiff though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode