Clutch lever location - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Clutch lever location

Hi folks
Just wondering if there are any options to bring the clutch lever closer to the handlebars. I have small hands and hance have some challenges with the clutch on my cb900.
I have already put some crg lever's on it, and they helped marginally (interestingly the brake lever is a lot closer to the bar, but the clutch lever did not change much at all). Wondering if there was anything else I could try.....

thanks muchly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2006, 01:39 AM

Redneck engineering alert>>>>>

take a propane torch *NOT OXY/ACETYLENE* and a peice of 5/8 tubing, slide the tubing about 2 inches over the clutch lever and GENTLY heat the aluminum, take your time and get it HOT HOT then slowly take some of the bend out of the lever. Be careful not to bend it too fast it will break, don't go too far A little does alot and too much and your clutch won't disengage. Then readjust your freeplay in the cable.

I have done this with dirt bikes alot. The lever's are always too far out when stock and the little balls on the end catch the dirt and break the whole perch off when you inevitably crash. I cut the ends off with a dremmel and use the propane heat method to adjust them. Ive had no problems with heat weakening them enough to break during use.

I wouldn't try it on your crg's though... use the stock ones.

or listen to someone else who im fairly sure has a less redneck way of doing it.

post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2006, 08:52 AM

nothin wrong with redneck!

post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2006, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply - I'll give it a go -definately on my stock levers though thats for darned sure ...

post #5 of 5 Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 AM

I just adjusted a little more free play in the clutch lever. I run it about 3/4-1" of slack. Still has plenty of room for the friction zone to completely engage and disengage. Make sure you lube the cable too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode