Clutch Adjustment - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Clutch Adjustment

I barely let off of the clutch and it is already engaging. Is this normal? It's never been adjusted from the factory and I have around 5000 miles on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Sweepuk

Should be about 10mm at lever afaik. You may have your clutch not fully disengaged and therefore have premature wear if not enough slack.

post #3 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So you are saying as you let the clutch lever out, it should be out around 10mm before the clutch starts to engage? How do you adjust this? I can't seem to find my manual.

post #4 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadley View Post
I barely let off of the clutch and it is already engaging. Is this normal? It's never been adjusted from the factory and I have around 5000 miles on it.
I'm assuming you have a 919? From now on if you don't specify a make and model I will assume Honda 919. That said, probably slack in the cable. The adjustment is the hollow screw right there on the clutch lever pedestal. It has the locking thumb nut... or similar down on the clutch cover. Here is excerpt from manual about this adjustment.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #5 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Cornicen

ya and the one on the other side is the front brake.

post #6 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yes it is a 919. Thanks for posting that document.

I didn't know that the other lever was the brake lever. Huh, I wonder what that did. I'm glad you informed me that was the brake!

post #7 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Yes it is a 919. Thanks for posting that document.

I didn't know that the other lever was the brake lever. Huh, I wonder what that did. I'm glad you informed me that was the brake!
...and, there's a shift lever too. Makes highway cruising much easier.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Clutch adjustment added to the helpful topics. Thanks Rev Cycho.

post #9 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Centurion

How in the hell do you ride 5000 miles not knowing you had a front brake? Me, at about 4,500 miles I would have at least started to wonder what that big pesky lever on the right handlebar did

post #10 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Hey, it took me awhile. I was busy trying to change radio stations on the odometer.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Do you guys honestly think I was being serious about not knowing what the front brake lever was for. I hope none of you are that stupid!

post #12 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Unbannable

I think most cagers don't know where their turn signals are.

post #13 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Do you guys honestly think I was being serious about not knowing what the front brake lever was for. I hope none of you are that stupid!
Why not? there are plenty of people stupid enough for that comment to ring true--just wondering if you were one of them or not.

post #14 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I guess it's hard for me to imagine any one that stupid. A little common sense goes a long ways.

post #15 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Hey, it took me awhile. I was busy trying to change radio stations on the odometer.
Why not just listen to the voices in your head?

post #16 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks MotoCycho for posting the document on how to adjust the clutch. I adjusted it tonight and it's much better!!

post #17 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Why not just listen to the voices in your head?
They tell me to do bad things. Like........I almost bought a Suzuki.

post #18 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 06:53 PM
DropBear 9

And here was me thinking I was the only one those voices talked to..
Now I'm jealous

"kill all humans.. zzzz ... kill all humans.." :Bender

post #19 of 24 Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

clutch adjustment revisited

I am sorry to bother you all with what may be a silly question. I have the manual and have adjusted my clutch as best I can to my understanding of the instructions. I am at as close to max adjustment at the lever and the opposite end of the cable is as far in as can be (toward the activation lever) to keep tension on the cable, enough to retract the lever. Am I adjusting improperly or is it time for a new clutch? I am the second owner with little knowledge of the previous owner's riding habits. The OD is just below 14,000.

post #20 of 24 Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Cornicen

scary

if you have the adjuster down by the clutch turned all the way in-the cable is totally slacked off. there is not enough adjustment at the lever to make up for this. try getting both adjusters in the middle of their range and go from there.

post #21 of 24 Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

if still nutin maybe a new cable is needed.

post #22 of 24 Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Key thing to know here is this: There is no such thing as a "clutch adjustment". All adjustments are to the mechanism that disengages the clutch, or the "clutch action". The goal should be to adjust the "clutch action" to the spot where you have the most control. That is, when lever is let out the clutch is fully engaged and when your have the lever pulled in, the clutch is disengaged enough to easily shift. It is a balancing act. In the case of the clutch cable on the 919 or really any vehicle with a cabled actuated clutch, the adjuster at the top, that's the one by the lever, and the adjuster down below, that's the one above the clutch cover, do exactly the same thing. They adjust the slack of the cable by reducing or lengthening the distance between the ends of the cable and the cable housing. This can only adjust the "clutch action"... you CAN NOT adjust the "clutch" itself. Best practice is to set the adjuster at the lever to it's minimum, that's adjusted all the way in or only a turn or two from this, then use the lower adjuster to get the lever free-play and the clutch actuator arm free-play as close to specs or preference as possible. Then use the thumb adjuster to fine tune the clutch action from there and whenever you want to fine tune it. You can assume that the higher in the "clutch action" you have to raise or let out the lever before it grabs, the more worn your clutch is. If your clutch grabs too soon as you let out the lever or shifts are hard to make unless RPMs are in the exact sweet spots and timed absolutely perfect, then you need to adjust the "clutch action" higher or tighter. BTW, nothing wrong with getting your shifts in the sweet spots anyway, but being forced to do this because your clutch action is a soggy noodle blows! On the flip side, you don't want the cable so tight that the clutch always has tension on it. This can cause at the very least clutch slippage and lots of other bits to wear prematurely. Don't be surprised if your clutch feels different from day to day or from minute to minute as you ride. Heat can change the way the action feels constantly so don't be afraid to adjust it any damn time you want. That's why there is a big shinny thumb wheel right there by the lever.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #23 of 24 Old 06-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

^^Never heard it put any better than that^^

post #24 of 24 Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

thanks for the great feedback Moto. I have piddled around with it a bit more and it seems my next step is to inspect the clutch itself. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode