Close call - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Close call

I nearly dropped the bike today, going through a wash at about 35 with moss growing on the bottom. I thought I had hit it straight but lost both wheels until we hit the dry again, when it nearly high sided me. Both feet off the pegs and all that. Watch out for mossy washes!
I'm not sure I know what the strategy is for this occurence. Faster or slower?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I used to bicycle on a path that eventually came to a sunken part where a stream crossed just low enough that it spread out across a concrete patch about 5 or 6 feet across. Slick as hell. Sometimes I'd walk up to the footbridge and cross that way. But slow I usually had to pedal which would induce spin/slide. Based on that, I'd say faster. But.

How wide and how deep is this wash ?

And good on ya for NOT crashing.

post #3 of 18 Old 06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Tirone

glad you made it through ok. that's a tough one to call. i usually go slow through it on the rare occasion i find it, clutch in and ass puckered. it's like riding on slime. i hope someone has some good tips on this one.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Cornicen

I'm a "slow with the clutch pulled in" rider in really slippery stuff, too. I've seen some pretty bad crashes when people tried to zip through it....I'd rather make a mistake and have a crash at slow speeds.

post #5 of 18 Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

When in doubt- you're going to fast.

post #6 of 18 Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Crud. bicycles don't have clutches. I'd go with the others Phobe.

post #7 of 18 Old 06-12-2010, 09:24 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I slow down, clutch in and coast through it too.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The key is neither fast or slow. It's no acceleration or deceleration. Make sure you're straight up and not turning to either side. If these things are happening it doesn't matter what your speed is.

post #9 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 AM
smileage

nice save

Similar issue in my neck of the woods. When I leave my house, it is downhill to a hard right, then up again to the stop sign for the main road.

The rain water overflows at the bottom all the time, basically in the middle of the corner.

When it rains at night, then dries, this leave a nice, nearly invisible coating of silt that is slicker than I ever imagined.

More than once I've have both wheels sliding out from under me.

Great reminder PHOBMAN for us all to ride attentive.

post #10 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Gets censored

Sounds like a similar feeling to sand, I have no experience with moss/slick stuff but I stay straight and coast through slippery/loose stuff. After learning a few lessons the HARD way.... real hard. basically pretend your on ice, no sudden movements/acceleration/deceleration just coast at whatever speed you're already at.

post #11 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 09:59 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

<<<< What that says.

Seriously though, glad you're OK Peter.

Professional
post #12 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Thanks guys, the wash was about 6-10 feet wide ans 3-4inches deep. It had been awash all winter and spring so lots of algae and as slick as ice.
I saw a 10 speed tropical fish type guy picking himself up one time, madder than hell, after trying to cross a store driveway where runoff water and slime had pitched him off his bike, looked like he lost the front!

post #13 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I was just about to say it reminds me of ice. You can coast across ice with the clutch in but as soon as there is any 'drive' to the wheel you're much more likely to lose it. Same on a bicycle. Peddling would be the wrong thing to do. As would braking.
Those steel plates at railroad crossings are also slick as hell when it's raining. Try to ride across one at low speed while driving the back wheel and it'll try to get away from you in a millisecond.

I hydroplaned both wheels once in a terrential downpour and that's a feeling you remember!

post #14 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

What is a mossy wash????

post #15 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
I was just about to say it reminds me of ice. You can coast across ice with the clutch in but as soon as there is any 'drive' to the wheel you're much more likely to lose it. Same on a bicycle. Peddling would be the wrong thing to do. As would braking.
Those steel plates at railroad crossings are also slick as hell when it's raining. Try to ride across one at low speed while driving the back wheel and it'll try to get away from you in a millisecond.

I hydroplaned both wheels once in a terrential downpour and that's a feeling you remember!
+1 to this

I grew up riding in the Montana Rockies - where you can find an ice/snow patch somewhere for a good part of the year. Anything that increases the torque on the wheel (turning, accelerating or decelerating) is going to reduce the "grip" of your tire. Clutch in and no turning till you get to the other side.

If you HAVE to ride across something that slick, you want to be going just fast enough to keep you upright till you get to the other side. The only time excessive speed helps is beating a snowstorm home

Quote:
i usually go slow through it on the rare occasion i find it, clutch in and ass puckered
Oh, and I am pretty sure that the ass puckering increases your traction quite a bit

post #16 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 12:38 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
What is a mossy wash????
I don't know if it's still there or not but highline canal trail winds around and comes up to Alameda ave in Aurora east of buckley road about a 1/4 mile.

It doesn't actually come up to alameda but it nears a bridge on alameda that crosses a stream. I want to say there's a small dam there.(it's been a while)

the path slopes down quickly and intersects the stream on a concrete patch about 10 feet across. the rough concrete gives perfect place for the moss to get long and stringy. gnarly crash if you do it wrong.

post #17 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Glad you managed to save it, Peter. I would be inclined to agree with others, slow down (before if possible) and coast across.
As you know, down here we can have the same sort of thing, mossy roads, wet, damp corners with leaves, etc. etc. In winter, especially, I am very cautious of shaded corners and patches of road. The winter sun around here hardly gets time to dry up some sections of road. In winter I try and get out later on the roads to give them a chance to dry. Also look out for green tint on the side of the road, usually an indicator of moss.

post #18 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Yikes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode