Classic Nighthawk 650 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Classic Nighthawk 650

A buddy of mine has an old 1983 Nighthawk 650 (classic naked!) that he's willing to sell me for $500. Cosmetically, it obviously needs a solid detail. A friend of his laid it down in their driveway 2 years ago and it's been sitting ever since. The turn signals need to be replaced, the tent has a small tent from where the turn signal made contact when it fell, the bars are slightly bent, and the seat has a small tear in it.

I drove the 9'er up to his place yesterday and we were able to fire it up after connecting jumper cables. Runs solid, but I think the carbs need to be cleaned (the 2nd carb had gas dripping out of the vapor vent). It will also need a new battery.

Bottom line is this: I want to buy it. He's willing to give it to me for $500. I'll post pictures later (sorry, didn't think to take any). Think it's worth it? I'm fairly new to bikes and I am not comfortable with ripping my 9'er down at this point in the season (it just started!). Granted, I know this bike is very different from the 9'er (carbs and drive shaft being the main diffs), but it should be fun regardless. Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Oh, and it does have the original manual and he also has a Clymer shop manual.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Nice bikes. I would suggest looking at how much you think you'll end up putting into it and see where that puts you for a total cost. Even with your own labor the parts can add up quickly and you're left with a bike that is only worth a certain amount.

I know because I've done it, and even knowing that I'd do it again.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

A running bike in basically decent shape for $500 is always worth it IMO. Congrats and have fun fixing it up!

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #4 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

If you have the time and ability, absolutely it is worth it.

A good running motorcycle with a clean title always brings a minimum of $1000.00 in these parts, more if it is clean and stock looking.

Then again, it have never been about the money, at least to me.

post #5 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 AM
McTavish

As long as the engine can be turned over I'd say you can't go wrong an go for it ! That year of bike may have been without a kick starter, and the battery might be dead. If so on both counts, to check to make sure the engine is still not seized, put it on the centre stand, get it in 5th gear, and try turning the rear wheel by hand. If it has a kick start lever, use that instead. Engine concern aside, the carbs will likely need a good cleaining. Great bikes, simple, and easy to work on.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
As long as the engine can be turned over I'd say you can't go wrong an go for it ! That year of bike may have been without a kick starter, and the battery might be dead. If so on both counts, to check to make sure the engine is still not seized, put it on the centre stand, get it in 5th gear, and try turning the rear wheel by hand. If it has a kick start lever, use that instead. Engine concern aside, the carbs will likely need a good cleaining. Great bikes, simple, and easy to work on.
You might want to read his whole post. He ran it, and thinks the carbs need cleaning.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
You might want to read his whole post. He ran it, and thinks the carbs need cleaning.

Apologies to the chap.
I'll blame it on Sunday Morning Brain Fog.
Now that the coffee has kicked in and the sun is coming up:

As for the # 2 carb drip, I'd be looking for sticky float and/or bad flat, and/or dirty float needle & seat and/or bad float needle & seat.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Tirone

the 83 and 84 nighthawk 650 had a timing chain problem, how did the motor sound? did you hear any rattling? other than that they were great bikes and fast.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Tirone

I used to have an '83 nighthawk 650 and LOVED it. I bought it for $600 6 years ago. When I bought it it ran fine and the owner told me all it needed was a new battery.

After I bought it and brought it home I realized it wasnt an issue with the battery but the stator. from what I found out alot of stators and maybe volt regulators go bad on these bikes. I bought 4 stators off ebay before I found one that worked that would finally charge my battery.

What I did during the time while looking for a new stator was take the head light bulb out, install a volt meter, and just ride it around town and make sure i kept the battery charged whenever the bike wasnt in use.

I would still get it. I loved that bike and wish I still had it

post #10 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Di"zx"en

Those 650's are bulletproof...even with a little bit of cam chain rattle. At this point in the game...Its just the way they are.At least thats the way the one I ended up selling at 72k miles was.......I believe it is now coming up on 90k with the gentleman that purchased it from me.Same cam chain.

BTW...I still own two of them.

That'll work........
post #11 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like I can't go wrong for $500. When we got it started, the engine sounded strong and quiet. The bike's been sitting for 2 years and he never pulled the battery, so once I plop a new one in I guess I'll find relatively quickly if it can hold a charge or not.

I'll probably pick it up next week and will post pics when I finally do. I'm looking forward to my first project bike (even though it's not much of a project!). Thanks again!

post #12 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Just for comparison...1984 Honda Nighthawk

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #13 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Wow...that's basically the same cosmetic conditon the 1983 is in. I haven't done any research yet, but I'm going to assume that front blinkers, new bars, and a new battery will still put me well below the $1,250 that person is asking for.

So if anyone's interested...I have a "like new" 1983 Nighthawk with low mileage for sale - the first $1,000 buys it up! Act fast!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode