checking to see if theres interest... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Post checking to see if theres interest...

i've come to realize that my givi rack just isnt working for me the way i had hoped. i cannot find a topcase that i'm happy with, nor am i happy with just an empty plate sitting there not being used. with that said, the ventura rack has caught my eye and so i'm curious if anyone would be interested in buying the givi rack outright or trade plus cash for a ventura rack.

are there any interested parties out there? i was thinking $100.00 plus shipping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

67 views and not 1 response? lol, does anyone even have a ventura rack to comment on? would it be worth getting as the price is pretty steep.

post #3 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I have the Givi rack, and I love mine. Look around Ebay, there is a guy out of Canada that sells top cases with baseplates to ensure fit, it is even a Givi product.

Unless you have your mind set on the Ventura, then go that route.

But like you said, no intrest? I think it is a decent deal! Do you have bags to go with it?

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #4 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Immune

Which model is it? Seems to be a few possibilities on the Givi site...

post #5 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

good point frankly, i forgot to mention that : /

it's the 919/cb900f givi rack mount system with a monolock baseplate. no bags, topmount cases, or side cases (couldnt find anything i liked that looked decent and did what i needed it to do). hope that helps!

post #6 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Tirone

Have you looked at the SW Moto Alu-Rack? I've been considering one of these myself since I don't much like the look of the empty rack. I don' t have any personal experience, but I imagine someone around here does. You can use a Givi case with the Givi adapter. When you don't want the topbox on, unscrew three zeus (Dzus?) fasteners and all you are left with is a small plate.

Here's the site:
TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack (Honda 919 / CB900 Hornet) for Givi, TraX ALU-BOX, & Krauser topcases - GPT.01.131.100.B

post #7 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

looks great sprint, outrageously priced though, and a plate is another $35.00 to start with. still wont do the job i'll need to it to do though sadly. thanks for pointing it out!

post #8 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Aquilifer

post #9 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

It's a personal preference choice. Personally I think all racks look like crap. Not sure what it is your "wanting it to do". If it's the ability to kind of get rid of rack when not needed then go for it. You could probably make something to do the same thing. I made one and when I don't need it I remove the four bolts and put the grab rail back on. All this aftermarket crap is priced through the roof and half of it is cheap shit. Good luck!

post #10 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
Yeah, I'm still struggling with what exactly it is... There are a few different options that can fall under the "919/cb900f givi rack mount system with a monolock baseplate" category.

I'm honestly interested, but want to know exactly what it is.

post #11 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly View Post
Yeah, I'm still struggling with what exactly it is... There are a few different options that can fall under the "919/cb900f givi rack mount system with a monolock baseplate" category.

I'm honestly interested, but want to know exactly what it is.
yup, that's it right there. it is my understanding that there is only 1 kind of givi rack system for the 919, two different base plates. i have the monolock baseplate (can be swapped out to the other type if the buyer purchases that plate).

post #12 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkrman View Post
It's a personal preference choice. Personally I think all racks look like crap. Not sure what it is your "wanting it to do". If it's the ability to kind of get rid of rack when not needed then go for it. You could probably make something to do the same thing. I made one and when I don't need it I remove the four bolts and put the grab rail back on. All this aftermarket crap is priced through the roof and half of it is cheap shit. Good luck!
that's exatly my problem, being able to take it off when needed, and put it on when needed on the fly and be stored on the bike when not used. also need it to pull backrest duties when needed, and provide secure tie points for a hiking backpack to be tied to. hence the ventura rack option being explored.

you're right though, this stuff is expensive as all hell. the ventura is the most expensive i've seen and appears to be the most flimsy as well. the givi rack is solid as a rock.

i would love to make something of my own and i'm sure i could come up with something easily. problem is, i dont have a garage (live in an apt) so i dont have the tools or the space to do so : / if anyone's willing to fab something up for me, i'd be more than glad to come up with a basic design and pay for parts/labor : )

post #13 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I think I might have the ventura one.

post #14 of 21 Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
I think I might have the ventura one.
and? how do you like it?

post #15 of 21 Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Discen

just put the SW Motech rack on my 919 with the adapter plate to fit my Shad SH40 topcase; of all the racks I looked at, it seemed to be the cleanest/simplest, just bolting into the frame where the rear grab handle would be, with no extra braces/tubing, etc. Was initially concercerned with strength, but have had it fully loaded with a pillion leaned up against it with no indication of stress... if I was going to do it again, I would go the exact same route.

post #16 of 21 Old 05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have not used it, its sitting in the garage collecting dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
and? how do you like it?

post #17 of 21 Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

it's official, my 919 givi rack fz256 is for sale! $100.00 plus shipping. been on the bike for a couple months. will fit a 919 with aftermarket exhaust ( i have two bros mounted on mine). includes spacers that i had to hunt for to replace the stock exhaust system mount point. i'll have pictures up later.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/807/197/

post #18 of 21 Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Tirone

I believe this is the same rack mounted to mine with the Sato exhaust. Took some doing, but can be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sato%201.jpg (61.1 KB, 15 views)

post #19 of 21 Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

correct sprint. all i needed were some spacers to make up for the lack of spacers on the stock exhaust mount point since i didnt have the stock exhaust. was very easy for me to install.

post #20 of 21 Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Tirone

I used a couple of 3/8 inch sockets with a few washers as spacers to mount the rack. The size of the sockets was almost perfect to get the spacing right. I mounted the exhaust brackets to the Givi rack to hold the cans in place.

post #21 of 21 Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

very clever sprint... i didnt think to use 3/8 sockets... would of been cheaper too i'm sure! the only spacers i found that would work were from a harley dealer and they wanted 6 bucks each for some stupid chromed piece of cast mild steel! cant complain, it worked lol.

my cans are mounted to the undertail using a seperate metal bracket that i assume came with the cans. i dont know, it was on the bike when i purchased it so i'm not arguing lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode