Check out what I made - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Unbannable

Check out what I made

I just ordered my integrated tail light from Clear Alternatives so I needed a licence plate bracket. Targa wanted $18 for a little stupid piece of metal! And an extra $8.25 to ship it. No way! Besides, I'm a manly man! I like to cut and grind metal.

So I went to Home Depot and paid $30 for some titanium drill bits and $5 for some angle iron. It took me longer than I thought to get it perfect. I put masking tape over the metal so that I could draw on it with a pen then the rest was just measuring and exploring how the bike was put together. This is what I came up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZRCX7_0Rjg

In the last photo the rear plastic isn't all the way down because of the wires. I have enough material for 4 more units. If anyone would like one let me know. The Super Sneaky Steve company is now open for business!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

That looks awesome, Steve. What happens with turn signals? I'd love to get rid of my fender and clean up that back end, but I'm not really sure what I need and how to go about it. Nice work though!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Milites Gregarius

I thought about doing that same thing, but it looked like the plate would hit the tire under load when you hit a bump so I took a hack saw to the mud flap.

post #4 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
That looks awesome, Steve. What happens with turn signals? I'd love to get rid of my fender and clean up that back end, but I'm not really sure what I need and how to go about it. Nice work though!

Go to autozone and buy a brake light intigrator, project9i9.com has a write up on it.

post #5 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 05:59 PM
DropBear 9

Hey SSS.
That's quite similar to something I did to mine a while back..
I posted it up on The Nest if anyone's interested.
http://p196.ezboard.com/fhornetsnest...cID=3252.topic

post #6 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 06:01 PM
DropBear 9

Oh, and I've since put a clear "lense" over the number plate LED for some weather protection. I just used the barrel from a biro cut in half lengthways.

post #7 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Not bad S cubed. I did something similar on mine, but failed to use angle iron. It turns out that sheet metal can be quite easily destroyed by the wind at 85 mph. Who knew? Now my license plate is zip-tied to the bike. Yeah...I'm ghetto like that.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #8 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Unbannable

I didn't want to do the trailor thing because I wanted yellow blinkers because it's illigal not to have them and it's not as safe. The Clear alternative light comes with everything you need including resistors for $99.99 shipped. There is no cutting or splicing involved. It comes with clips. I may solder it anyway just for kicks.
http://clearalternatives.com/Merchan...egory_Code=599

It will be a lot easier to make the other four now that I can use the first as a stensile. I can include bolts too. I just don't want it to go to waste. Cost of shipping and material is all that I need.

Some people like the zip ties because it blows in the wind and can't be seen as well. That may however, be a reason to get pulled over.

I remember seeing your post before DropBear. That's what made me want to do it.

post #9 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropBear 9 View Post
Oh, and I've since put a clear "lense" over the number plate LED for some weather protection. I just used the barrel from a biro cut in half lengthways.
Biro??

post #10 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I have enough material for 4 more units. If anyone would like one let me know. The Super Sneaky Steve company is now open for business!
Did you just cut off the fender or actually remove the rear part by unscrewing it? How much you want for your handiwork?

post #11 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Unbannable

I just removed a few bolts. If you're new to that sort of thing I can take pictures of the bolts. You'll need a hex wrench (one is provided in your tool kit) and a metric socket kit.

Send me a check for $5. That should cover shipping I think. I'll have it made by tomorrow.

post #12 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
I just removed a few bolts. If you're new to that sort of thing I can take pictures of the bolts. You'll need a hex wrench (one is provided in your tool kit) and a metric socket kit.

Send me a check for $5. That should cover shipping I think. I'll have it made by tomorrow.

Steve,

You didnt have to cut anything?

Cool, got one for the ol'SV moderator?

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #13 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 06:42 PM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Biro??
A Bic Biro... a ball point pen...
Sorry, we just refer to them as biros down here!

Quote:
Did you just cut off the fender or actually remove the rear part by unscrewing it?
It just unscrews.. check out the link in my previous post for additional pics..

post #14 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Unbannable

You heard right! No cutting. The only thing you'll have to figure out is what to do with turn signals. You can either get the integrated LED like I did (classy but more expensive), do the trailor harness thing (cheapest but the most work), or use flush mounts (requires drilling your fancy paint job!).

That's two down! I have two left! PM me with shipping addresses.

I'll make an instruction sheet with pictures too. Will be ready by this weekend at the latest.

post #15 of 39 Old 09-18-2006, 09:45 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I didn't want to do the trailor thing because I wanted yellow blinkers because it's illigal not to have them and it's not as safe. The Clear alternative light comes with everything you need including resistors for $99.99 shipped. There is no cutting or splicing involved. It comes with clips. I may solder it anyway just for kicks.
http://clearalternatives.com/Merchan...egory_Code=599

It will be a lot easier to make the other four now that I can use the first as a stensile. I can include bolts too. I just don't want it to go to waste. Cost of shipping and material is all that I need.

Some people like the zip ties because it blows in the wind and can't be seen as well. That may however, be a reason to get pulled over.

I remember seeing your post before DropBear. That's what made me want to do it.
When I installed my Clear Alt light, I found the clips to be really cheap as soon as I looked at them. They didn't even cut the wire. I used enviro splices. I will get a pic of them tomorrow. They have a piece of heat shrink over the metal splice that completely seals to protect it from, you guessed it, the environment. I have to leave the states for 3 weeks, but when I get back if anyone wants some just send me a PM and I will mail them out.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #16 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 03:58 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You heard right! No cutting. The only thing you'll have to figure out is what to do with turn signals. You can either get the integrated LED like I did (classy but more expensive), do the trailor harness thing (cheapest but the most work), or use flush mounts (requires drilling your fancy paint job!).

That's two down! I have two left! PM me with shipping addresses.

I'll make an instruction sheet with pictures too. Will be ready by this weekend at the latest.
If you still have any left, I'd like to get one please. Will PM info.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #17 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 04:25 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I applaud your effort however lets not over engineer this simple task. A flat piece of 3/16" thick x 5/8" wide aluminum is the hot setup. The length should be slightly less than the width of the license plate.

post #18 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Unbannable

Yeah, well you don't know my secret ingrediant. A little Super Sneaky Steve mojo.

I'm going to try and have them made and in the mail today. I sent PM's back to all who applied and I'll confirm once they are in the mail.

post #19 of 39 Old 09-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Yeah, well you don't know my secret ingrediant. A little Super Sneaky Steve mojo.

I'm going to try and have them made and in the mail today. I sent PM's back to all who applied and I'll confirm once they are in the mail.
Forget the bracket, just send me the mojo!

post #20 of 39 Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Steve - the bracket arrived today. Nice work man!

I'll be doing this mod over the Winter. I'm leaning toward going with the Clear Alternative setup to deal with the turn signals so let us know how you make out with this and share some pics! Thanks!

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #21 of 39 Old 09-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Hey SSS.
That's quite similar to something I did to mine a while back..
I posted it up on The Nest if anyone's interested.
http://p196.ezboard.com/fhornetsnest...cID=3252.topic
Not to knock what SSS has done but I like.... Have you found something comon to put over the license plate leds yet???

post #22 of 39 Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 PM
DropBear 9

Yeah, what SSS did is pretty similar to mine I think, but I prefer the way my "plate" hangs. A little bit of an angle so it kinda acts as a tiny mudguard. Basically, I prefer the look of it that way.
Pretty much just what Mike said.. a piece of ally bent to shape.

And yeah, I did put a cover over the LED strip.
I simply used the clear barrel part of a ball point pen, split lengthways and glued into place, then sealed off at both ends. Looks pretty neat IMHO
Plus the whole rear lighting setup, apart from the indicators, is now a self contained unit. If I unscrew the tail lense, all I have to do is pop the connection that goes into the stock bulb socket to remove the whole shebang for easy access should I so desire.

I'll try top get a pic of it posted if anyone's remotely interested..

post #23 of 39 Old 09-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

DropBear 9, what is a "ball point pen?" Is that what we called a "biro" when I lived in England in 1970-1072?

Thanks, mate.

post #24 of 39 Old 09-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Mc 9er

England in 1970-1072?
uuuuuuuummmmmmmm during your dr who days

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #25 of 39 Old 09-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Reese's Pieces...

Garage
Hey, don't knock the Doctor! :jumping in my TARDIS:

Reese
2006 919
post #26 of 39 Old 09-24-2006, 07:45 PM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
DropBear 9, what is a "ball point pen?" Is that what we called a "biro" when I lived in England in 1970-1072?

Thanks, mate.
Well, I called it a biro earlier in this thread, and I was then asked "what's a biro"..

Or are you just

Well,for the sake of clarity.. I used a short section of clear plastic tube and split it lengthways .. heh heh

post #27 of 39 Old 10-02-2006, 08:27 PM

Steve - just used your little do-hickey to eliminate my fender. Came out looking way cool and it only took about 90 minutes. (Perfect excuse not to have to watch the premiere of 'The Bachelor' with the Mrs.) I attached some pics and you can see I'll have to take it off and center it up a bit, but overall I'm very pleased (and I haven't forgot about your 5 bucks either!)

Dropbear - What are the indicators that you have on the back of your cowl? I kinda like those... And does that little LED strip you have light up the license plate effectively and do you have a pic of the finished product complete with homemade 'biro' cover?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9266.JPG (385.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9268.JPG (318.3 KB, 51 views)

post #28 of 39 Old 10-02-2006, 09:08 PM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Dropbear - What are the indicators that you have on the back of your cowl? I kinda like those... And does that little LED strip you have light up the license plate effectively and do you have a pic of the finished product complete with homemade 'biro' cover?
They're a common bulb type light that are designed to be mounted onto fairings etc. They can be screwed on, or stuck on with the double sided tape they come with. Those ones are a no name brand thing I found at my local bike dealer. They are very similar to these though.. http://www.indysuperbike.com/custome....php?cat=23080

The LED strip is very effective indeed. I originally had a strip of blue LEDs which looked way cool, but was too monochromatic (too blue) to read the plate properly. The white one I have now is very white and tends to look a bit bluish in photos compared to regular filament lighting (photographers will know what I'm on about here)

I will make a point of taking a couple of pics and post 'em ASAP.
(Actually, I've promised this before so I really should get my finger out) I'll bring my digi camera into work with me tomorrow and post a couple up.

post #29 of 39 Old 10-03-2006, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Unbannable

Those Tri Ovals look sweet!

I found a single white LED light made for that application that could be attached in a JP Cycles catalog. I think that would be perfect, but I'm going to run mine without a light and plead ignorance if I'm pulled over, but I don't think I will be.

post #30 of 39 Old 10-03-2006, 04:32 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

The hot set up would be if CA offered a tail light lens that was clear not blacked out on the underside. I think the clear portion would provide sufficient illumination to the license plate. I wonder if they would be interested in offering such a lens?

post #31 of 39 Old 10-04-2006, 06:26 PM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
The hot set up would be if CA offered a tail light lens that was clear not blacked out on the underside. ....
For sure. It would be a nice tidy unit with an LED inside. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to do either and shouldn't add too much to overall pricing.

Anyway, for those that wanted to see some "finished product" pics of my "biro" LED setup, I present, for your viewing pleasure.....

These two are overall views of my bike with homebrew tail tidy.

Again..

Yet again, but shows the plate angle a little betterer!

Biro LED in OFF mode

Biro LED in mode execute ON! (you can see how "white" the LEDs are.

A closer view..

And finally, someone wanted to know how effective the LEDs were.. Bright enough methinks!

SSS, begging your pardon, sorry if I've 'jacked yer thread here, but it seemed relevant and people were asking...

Cheers,

post #32 of 39 Old 10-05-2006, 02:19 AM

Damn DropBear that is nice!!!!

I especially like how the brake light blends in to the bike when the lights not on, is that the smoke lens?

I have been contemplating getting the smoke lens for my bike, I think you have just convinced me.

Great light for the plate as well.

Have you taken your grab rail off and looked at your bike. The tail end is much much cleaner without it.
It is harder to get on the center stand without it, but can still be done by holding the tail fairing above the pipe.

post #33 of 39 Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 AM
DropBear 9

Thanks Kendog!

Yeah, that's the smoke lense.
Actually on a bike the color of yours, it would be damn near perfect.
Definately get the smoke!

I have thought about removing the grab rail, as I do think it would look pretty sweet without it, but I use it all the time to get the bike up on the center stand. (which I just can't do without).
I investigated using the tail fairing as you say, but I'm too afraid of breaking something. Maybe my method is all wrong, but I do need to pull up on the grab rail pretty hard to get the bike onto the stand. I'm only about 70Kgs wringing wet, so I just can't get it there with my weight alone!

Not to worry.. I've seen the grab rails painted lack, and I think that looks pretty nice too, so I might go down that road at some point.

post #34 of 39 Old 10-05-2006, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Unbannable

Very nice Drop Bear. I always like to see how other people set up their bikes.

Why did you go with the flush mount signals instead of the integrated ones?There's no way I could drill into my paint job.

And DropBear 8 is way cooler than you!

post #35 of 39 Old 10-05-2006, 06:19 AM
DropBear 9

Cheers SSS.

I went with flush mounts for a number of reasons.

First, because as I've said before, we're not allowed to have our indicators sharing space with any other lighting. (I'm not talking about merely under the same lense, but the lights have to be physically sepparated from any other bulbs even within an assembly. There must be a divider of some sort. We simply cannot have a section of tail light that starts flashing regardless of the color.
Given the time / patience / inclination, I would probably have done something like this..
http://p196.ezboard.com/fhornetsnest...icID=280.topic
I'm open to correction, but I think the U.S. is the only place where those "integrated" LED boards are technically legal.

Secondly, I feel that incandescent bulbs are a more effective indicator than LEDs.
LEDs look funky and all that, but they are very directional. Meaning they are only really effective in one direction. These lights are very visible even from side on. You'd be hard pressed to see LED indicators from anywhere except directly behind. It's a small thing, but it is one of the reasons.

Thirdly, I haven't had to drill any holes ... yet.. They are self adhesive and the wiring runs up under the rear cowl. If you look real closely you might be able to see the black wire, but unless you know it's there, you'd be doing well to spot it.

Finally.. They were cheap... real cheap.. like $15 ozzy fun bucks cheap!
And way easy to install.

And Dropbear 8 may be cooler, but 9 out of ten is better than 8 out of ten!
Besides I ride a 9er not an 8er

post #36 of 39 Old 10-05-2006, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Unbannable

Yeah, you did tell me about the law before. I'm not a good listener. That's especially true when a girl starts telling me about her day. It goes someting like " Yeah and I saw these cute shoes at the mall and ............. gone"

I agree with the bulbs. That's why I didn't want LED's up front. For the rear I went with the LED's beacause it was the cleanest option. If the mufflers didn't interfear so much I would just put some small bulbs up near the plate like most bike do.

post #37 of 39 Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Thirdly, I haven't had to drill any holes ... yet.. They are self adhesive and the wiring runs up under the rear cowl. If you look real closely you might be able to see the black wire, but unless you know it's there, you'd be doing well to spot it.

Finally.. They were cheap... real cheap.. like $15 ozzy fun bucks cheap!
And way easy to install.
Where did you get these indicators from?

post #38 of 39 Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 AM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
Where did you get these indicators from?
They were a no-name brand at my local Honda dealer... of all places.
I have seen them at my local bike tyre shop too.
I'm pretty sure you should be able to find something qute similar at pretty much any bike accessory shop. They're nothing fancy, bu they do the job well enough.
Heck, If we can get 'em in a shop here in Brisvegas, you should be able to find 'em, or something like 'em anywhere.

post #39 of 39 Old 10-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Here's my CA install - I had thought about putting the Plate under the seat like the squidies do, but the Box under the seat is very unsightly, so i had to settle for drilling new holes in the plate and locktighting some little bolts thru it and the Shaved down stock plastic.

i had been slowly cutting the fender down with my trusty dremel - eventually cut it down so that it only covers that box and mounting clips under the tail -

I'm running sans plate light right now, but i've found that when the cops have you pulled over at night their headlights light up the plate just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode