Changing Speedo bulb notes and photos - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 11-05-2006, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Changing Speedo bulb notes and photos

It was not hard but certainly more work than I had anticipated.

You not only have to remove the headlight, you have to remove the brackets that hold the headlight as well. Then 5 screws to remove the back of the instrument panel and you can get access to the bulbs.

I almost wish I had gone to a Honda shop and paid the few bucks for the "Genuine Honda" bulbs. I went with cheapo bulbs from Autozone. I could tell by looking at the bulbs that the OEM bulbs were more vibration resistant.

Anyway I figured no reason not to replace all four bulbs while I had the thing apart. The two lower bulbs are the tiny ones and they are your left and right blinker indicators. The two upper ones are your speedo and tach backlight.

See attached photos. If you are lazy like me and get your bulbs from Autozone I used #74 and #194 for the replacements.

I finally got around to flushing my brake fluid too, on the front anyway.
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1056.jpg (31.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1055.jpg (51.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1057.jpg (35.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1059.jpg (28.4 KB, 122 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Not long back I remember someone saying to try blue bulbs as the replacement for the speedo and tach backlights. That sounds awesome! Does anyone have any pics of the blue glow with these bulbs? It's an easy enough job, if it looks good I'm ready to try it. Where do you get colored bulbs??

post #3 of 5 Old 11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Not long back I remember someone saying to try blue bulbs as the replacement for the speedo and tach backlights. That sounds awesome! Does anyone have any pics of the blue glow with these bulbs? It's an easy enough job, if it looks good I'm ready to try it. Where do you get colored bulbs??
I put cheapy blue bulbs in mine.. they just glow less bright & a slightly cooler color of yellow... they don't really change the color.. I don't recommend bothering with it unless you just want less light.. which I prefer. Less bright lights in my face at night is good. Up to you ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
It was not hard but certainly more work than I had anticipated.

You not only have to remove the headlight, you have to remove the brackets that hold the headlight as well. Then 5 screws to remove the back of the instrument panel and you can get access to the bulbs.
It gets easier to simply remove the entire cluster from the bike.. 2 10mm nuts if I remember right.. then you can remove the back meter cover on your workbench face down in a soft towel. I have had my meter apart twice and I don't remember it being all that much work. In fact.. the worst part of the entire job is R&Ring the windscreen since you have to hold it and keep it from falling and all. Tell ya what.. I like taking stuff apart cuz you get a chance to clean the bits and places you normally can't.

My .02 cents.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2006, 12:23 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
I put cheapy blue bulbs in mine.. they just glow less bright & a slightly cooler color of yellow... they don't really change the color.. I don't recommend bothering with it unless you just want less light.. which I prefer. Less bright lights in my face at night is good. Up to you ???.
I thought it would give the gauges a cool blue glow... I guess I'll be happy with what I have.
Thanks.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

I wanted to put like some red led's in mine but idk what size to get... i as thinking about installing a dimmer on them to while i was at it, not that much work at all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode