Changing Cam on 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Changing Cam on 919?

I have a 900RR engine left over from another bike I had. I was told that I should put the cam from that engine in my 919. Has anyone ever done this? It would make the engine work better in the high rev range. One question would be the rev limiter? because the new cam would let it rev higher the rev limiter would have to change as well.... Just a thought Any info work be good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

y is it that i know have Monty Python's SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM song goin through my head?

i'll have 'spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam, baked beans and spam' ...'and instead of the bean, if i could get some more spam...'

spam
spam
spam
spam
spammity spam....

post #3 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

anyways, on to your question...

>FastFred enjoyed the 'hit' from the Erion cam

>970 has questioned the value of any cam changes at all w/ this setup...and he'd know...it's his profile that Web uses for all 919 stuff

>the 919 cam has pulse sensor (this is a hint...a very big hint)

>Jin did his thing...we should bug him to check in here w/ a report

>someone else bought a webgrind cam (who was that masked man and what happened w/ that anyway?)

>u know if u swap cams u have to worry about gears and ignition advance and all that it involves... (no PC3r for the 9r btw)

>the revlimiter is the least of your worries...could be as easy as snipping a single wire...just which one?!??!

bottom line, that 900 lump isn't gonna do u much good without significant effort (read $$ unless u'r a jin-chanic type)

>did i mention dyno time for tuning? (few more $$ for that)

so it comes down to time, talent, money, etc. and just how wise is it to invest sooo much chasing such limited potential gains on what is very nearly a maxed out, moderately performing platform...

if u'r still reading...buy a used 919 cam, $50-$100 and ship it to Web for a weld/grind ($350-$600) or buy the Erion Cams ($850) and the other stuff needed... OR, weld a pulse sensor on your 900rr cam and wing it

post #4 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

i'll leave this info up for a few hours...

still workin out some bugs...

post #5 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

whew Thanks I think...

post #6 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Check with http://919.orgHe should Know.

post #7 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
Check with http://919.orgHe should Know.
oh he'll know....might even tell ya, right after smackin around for askin in the first place

make no mistake, FastFred is the man...he worked the issues w/ Erion on the first setup (not counting the Erion Project bike) and though he told of enjoyin the hit in the upper RPM's, he will also tell you that the 9r needed a few more ponies

and hornet970, well...without sayin too much, i doubt that you'd be able to find a better source of 919 internals info, seeings as how he did the big bore kit and to say he's 'connected' to the industry is an understatement

lastly Jin, if you don't know the saga of Jin from the Hornet's Nest, you've got some good reading ahead...details of one painful struggle ending with a correction to the 919 Manual...Jin can tell you all about makin up your own cam and getting it installed and working, but bring a bottle, cause you'll need a couple drinks when the story is done

post #8 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

some cam discussion history the 2nd page has some info snipped from mrush back during the 'early days'

just in case it wasn't clear; the 900rr cam is not a drop-in for the 919...the lack of a pulse sensor being the first problem

leveraging a cam in the 919 is fighting the design of the 919...port / injector sizes among other things have all been tuned for midrange...to really get the bike runnin on the cam you need to make a number of changes (porting among other things). the 9r just isn't going to give you the same relative % improvement as a sportsbike due to the "midrange tuning"

post #9 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Heads up... Newbies take note. ratdog is a wealth of accurate information. He always speaks the truth and never shoots from the hip like others!

post #10 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I've spent a chunk of time over there tonight, just reading and reading. The knowledge base is amazing. Lots of good info.

Not to derail the cam subject...oh hell...yeah derail away...for us newbies, what is the history behind WT and project919 and how did the two come together with content, moderators, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
Heads up... Newbies take note. ratdog is a wealth of accurate information. He always speaks the truth and never shoots from the hip like others!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Ratdog I will steer clear of that idea and forget that it ever came up There are alot of other things that can be done with Alot more ease.

I have to say that this is one of the best sites that I have visted for quick, honest and detailed answers, no BS just facts!

post #12 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I've spent a chunk of time over there tonight, just reading and reading. The knowledge base is amazing. Lots of good info.

Not to derail the cam subject...oh hell...yeah derail away...for us newbies, what is the history behind WT and project919 and how did the two come together with content, moderators, etc.
I have taken a blood oath and sworn to secrecy never to reveal the true facts!

post #13 of 14 Old 09-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

lol thx 4 the props mike, what we do...we do for the greater good of the 919 Community...Viva La HONDA !!!

don't misunderstand, hit up LDH for all the info u want, drop him an email, he'll get back to u...just remember, if his message has words like 'cool' and 'neat' in it, those are polite versions of 'you mud-turtle-rustlin-poser' or 'smacked-azz-wannabe-no-nothin-idjut'

some us try to handle the 'light work' for info seekin greenpeas (newbies)...if i post somethin screwed up, those knowing more have no problem droppin by and makin a correction

post #14 of 14 Old 09-24-2006, 02:05 AM

noone knows like ratdog knows.

The Man... The Legend, People will someday teach their children about the one and only Ratdog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode