Chain, Sprockets... Oh Yea - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Chain, Sprockets... Oh Yea

Like xrmikey, I finally did the deed this weekend also.
I bought my 9'r last month and quickly figured out the chain wasn't right. You know how a stretched chain sounds at 20mph?

I got the standard sprocket set from DriveSystems, and paid too much locally for a DID O-ring 114 link chain. Buying a rivet tool wasn't in the budget so I cut it down to 112 links using the bench grinder and a center punch (dang those chains are hard, now my center punch is a 'dimple punch' :O

Sure enough the guys at the local shop were nice enough to rivet it together after they drilled me over "you're making this too hard, you'll have to remove the swing arm". They did a double take when I told them 'No I don't.
jbreddawg's tip on using the axle bolt to slide out the swing arm bolt, then removing the LS swingarm bracket, it worked like a charm.

Any what, you fellers are doing a great service to those of us that are in the learning mode! I can't say thanks enough!

After adjusting out a half an inch of slack out of the throttle cable and now with the new chain & sprockets, it's like a different bike! I'm lovin it! I'm about ready to take it out on the freeway!

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Sounds like I need to get that stocker off there and put a better chain/sprocket combo on.

Glad to hear that you are so happy with the change.

post #3 of 7 Old 07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Nice, isn't it.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Sounds like I need to get that stocker off there and put a better chain/sprocket combo on.
I'm not saying the aftermarket ones are better or worse. Others here have lots of info about that.
My previous set (stock) was just badly abused.
I had two main symptoms. One, I could hear a zzzZZzzzzZZzzzzZZ while traveling at low 20s or so in the neighborhood. Two, when letting off the gas there was noticable time lag before the engine loaded the back wheel. Three, I had a B-of a time trying to adjust the chain slack, cause it would change quite a bit when rotating the back wheel (while on a stand).

So, that's why the big improvement.

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-28-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
Nice, isn't it.
Yes it is!
I should have taken pics of the swingarm trick but I was afraid of you guys seeing my 2 scissor jacks and a tire iron center stand!

post #6 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

It's time for someone to step up and document the chain replacement procedure including photos. It would be a good addition to the 919 Helpful Topics.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Ryan Adams

Location: Southern Maryland (Charles County) and Melbourne, FL

Bazooka...Dont worry I used a jack and jack stands to get the bike off the ground when I changed my chain and sprockets...just doing what we can with what we got...

Mister Mike...that is a great idea because when I could of used that information when I changed mine out...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode