Chain/sprocket replacement on a 919. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 03-11-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
'evening Bruce

Chain/sprocket replacement on a 919.

After a trip last Thursday/Friday from Melbourne to Canberra and back (around 1,400ks=870miles), I'm at the point where I need to replace the chain and sprockets on my 9er. She's got 34,000ks (around 21,000 miles) on the odo but I've no idea if she's on her original chain, as I've had her since July last year. Not that that matters off course as the chain needs replacing anyway.

In the owner's manual, it mentions the replacement chain as "DID50V8" OR "RH50HF0Z8". Are these the only options? And out of what's available, what has been your choice?

On the sprockets, from what I understand the norm is 16 front and 43 rear. The previous owner passed onto me a "JT 15 tooth" front. Happy to use this but being a bit of a noob, should I go with this or go for a 16 or whatever?

Any input on this is appreciated. Happy to hear of what you've gone with and the benefits/pitfalls.

I mainly use my 250 as a commuter and the 9er as a bit of a play, tourer, getaway, two-up bike and when I'm on nightshift so I don't wake up the neighbours at 5 in the morning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 AM
CB900

The 15 is more fun, I use one for zipping around town, and a 17 for the highway thing. A 17 front is better for highway I find, seems to be about 200 rpm less, so I save fuel and better top speed. I usually use oem chains from my Honda dealer as well, saves me using a chain breaker and rivet tool which I don't own (yet), they're already the right length....
Hope this helps man!

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #3 of 9 Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
'evening Bruce

Thanks rockdog32, any input appreciated. While doing a search on the HornetsNest they gave a link back to here https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17181 which helps as well. Maybe I should be using the search button more effectively. DOH.

Not sure what combo I'll go with yet but need to get a move on.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Yep, I've went down 1 in the front and up 2 in the rear. Now I'm good with the 16 on the front and a 45 on the rear. I like my bike for rippin local mountain curves though. I recently rode to B'ham, Al with this set up and still got my 9'er up to 150 at the red. You wanna quicker bike or better gas mileage? Get an x-ring D.I.D chain in my opinion.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

If you are going to invest in the chain tool and do it yourself, here is the link that shows what can go wrong and the adjustments made to get it right.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17467

As a novice, I am staying with the 16/43 setup while I am still learning the bike.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
'evening Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
If you are going to invest in the chain tool and do it yourself, here is the link that shows what can go wrong and the adjustments made to get it right.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17467

As a novice, I am staying with the 16/43 setup while I am still learning the bike.
I remember coming across that thread beforehand, very helpful. Like yourself, as I'm still bonding with the bike I'm going for a 16/43 setup for now. Would love to tackle this job myself but I'm not too sure on my ability and fear if something goes wrong. I've changed the bars over a few weeks ago and I was over the moon how easy it was. Did the centre-stand a week later and what a head-ache that was, but again, glad I had a go on my own.

As for sprockets, I'll happily give it a go on my 250 or my daughters XR100 but as I haven't got the appropriate tools, and I want to be sure it's done properly on the 9er, I'll let my local Honda mechanic do it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm dead keen on learning as much as possible, and have promised myself to be a crapload more hands on in the future.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

sticking with the stock gearing is the safest thing to do at this point for you. They 15/45 setup is extremely fun for around town, but not so much on the highway. Also the 15t front is more difficult to control when riding 2up.

There are more options on chains other than OEM. I love my D.I.D. X2 chain. it is the 530VZM2 at 114 links

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #8 of 9 Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Naked bikes = Perma-grin

When I bought my 919 the previous owner had things converted to 520DID with 15T front/45T rear. It ripped, but I run 20 miles of freeway at 70-75mph to and from work, so that wasn't ideal. So I replaced the 15T with a stock
16T up front and I like it better. Gave me back some R's and 3-4mpg.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-14-2009, 02:40 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I run the gold DID. I have 15, 16 and 17 tooth front and a speedo healer, so it's all good.

Put that 15 on, and play with it. that's the only way you'll really know.

I think the stock chain length is 114. A lot of us go with a 112. The 17 front won't work with the 112, tho.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode