chain/sprocket combo - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 08-17-2008, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
mevander

Question chain/sprocket combo

I'm looking to upgrade my chain and sprockets. I would like some advice on brands and sourcing. I'd also be greatful if someone would explain the pros and cons of changing the tooth count on one or both sprockets. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-17-2008, 08:14 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I'm going with this set next:
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14093

As far as the tooth count, I'm leaving it stock.
I think Honda got it right; they forgot to put in the 7th gear though

post #3 of 14 Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

First off, what are you looking for? Less vibration, more take off? No matter what you are looking for I would go down to a 520 chain and stay away from aluiminun sprockets. Personally I like the 16-45 combo the best.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Cornicen

My gearing is a 17-43 520 combo and am quite happy with the setup. It has less rpm at speed and still maintains plenty of low end power. It makes the 1st gear wheely more manageable and less "herky jerky".

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Centurion

I have: AFAM front & Drive Systems rear--no complaints--fit tight right out of package. Rear is steel & seems to be a bit lighter than stock (more material cut away). Chain is a DID.

Teeth: stock rear, 17 in front for less rpm on the highway, also corrects speedo but makes odo worse.

post #6 of 14 Old 08-17-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
mevander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
First off, what are you looking for? Less vibration, more take off? No matter what you are looking for I would go down to a 520 chain and stay away from aluiminun sprockets. Personally I like the 16-45 combo the best.
I'd like to have a little more take off speed, but I'm pretty content with the current set-up. I don't want to lose a lot of top end speed and I know there is a compromise somewhere. I just don't know what a happy median would be.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-18-2008, 06:30 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Since it was asked, why would you want to go from 530 to 520 chain and sprockets? Isn't the 530 size stronger and in the long run less likely to stretch?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but maybe except for racing purposes, I can't figure this one out.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #8 of 14 Old 08-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Shoot to stop

While asking chain questions, I have one for those more knowledgable than myself. What sort of life can you expect out of the stock chains? I'm looking to get a 2003 919 with about 8500 miles on it. On my 99 Nighthawk I changed the chain/sprocket at around 25K miles, but I see in the thread that was linked to people talking about only getting around 9-11K miles out of a chain.

post #9 of 14 Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
Since it was asked, why would you want to go from 530 to 520 chain and sprockets? Isn't the 530 size stronger and in the long run less likely to stretch?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but maybe except for racing purposes, I can't figure this one out.
I'm curious about the same thing. The guys at the dealer told me that unless I'd be racing my bike it was a waste of money to switch from 530 to 520. Is it slightly lighter? Better selection of sprockets?

post #10 of 14 Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardking View Post
While asking chain questions, I have one for those more knowledgable than myself. What sort of life can you expect out of the stock chains? I'm looking to get a 2003 919 with about 8500 miles on it. On my 99 Nighthawk I changed the chain/sprocket at around 25K miles, but I see in the thread that was linked to people talking about only getting around 9-11K miles out of a chain.
My chain lasted 11.5K, granted I did not take care of it horribly well. Whether its cheap chain or my lack of maintenance, there is no doubt it was toast. After my new chain it looks, sounds, & drives like a new bike.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

My 07 has almost 12K mi and my chain still in the middle of the green zone and I've only adjusted in once because it was too loose and once again when I replaced the rear tire. I clean and lube it every 300-500 miles and don't ride real hard. I remember reading about a few people on here getting over 20K from theirs. Probably depends on how well the owner has taken care of it and how hard they ride.

Good luck!

post #12 of 14 Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Milites Gregarius

my chain looks fine, but with 5400 miles on it , it was past that green zone. Didnt know it til i read this. It could not be adjusted anymore and needed tightened. I just bought a jt 45 tooth sprocket so i could tighten it more.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

In both 530 and 520 chains you can get different strengths. If you go down to a smaller chain it is lighter. So you get a stronger 520 chain, which is stronger than factory, it means less weight, less rotating mass= more go. If you plan on doing both shain and sprockets its not a waste of money at all. I have had factory chains last up to 20 000kms. I would never replace a chain with factory. Go with something like a DID. That is my personal preference.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevander View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my chain and sprockets. I would like some advice on brands and sourcing. I'd also be greatful if someone would explain the pros and cons of changing the tooth count on one or both sprockets. Thanks for your help.
I'm not an expert on changing the actual chain itself because in all the bikes I have ever owned with endless chains (going way back to Z1000's and GS1000's way back in the late 70's, early 80's),, I have never changed one. I would wash them clean of dust and grit before greasing them after about 200 miles (300kms) max or after a ride in the rain. This chore might take me an hour to do, as I would clean with kero, dry it off with a rag then squirt each individual link and roll it at my fingertips to make sure the lube actually got into where it was needed. I would then leave it for about 30 minutes, clean some other part of the bike then rub any excess lube off each roller. The chain always looked like brand new and how they lasted, hardly stretching at all, while my brothers and friends chains would stretch or wear twice as fast as they weren't so fussy on maintenance. I can hardly recall adjusting any chain more than one notch mark on the swingarm, the whole time I owned that particular bike. I was a real stickler for maintenance and the bikes shops who traded my bikes would always know the bike they were getting off me would be in top notch condition...

I am not overly fussed over chains nowadays but I still clean and lube them quite regularly. I did only about 10,000 km on my recent VTR1000 and the chain was adjusted only once because I changed the rear sprocket at about 2000 kms and once for a bit of stretch just before I traded it. I did not ride like a pussy either. Regular lubing goes a long way as does the correct tension and alignment. Mind you, the fact that I am no 7ft giant helps too,, which leads me to the gearing side of your question...

Now I own a Hornet 900 (919) and I feel the gearing is spot on and the bike has heaps of rollon for a 4 cyl of this nature, so much so, that I still have the VTR rear sprocket which has 2 teeth less than the 919's,, and I am thinking of trying it on the 919. I know it will fit straight on as the replacement I bought was for a VTR1000/Hornet 900. On the VTR, I went up by 2 teeth on the rear and what a difference. When rollon overtaking, it felt like chopping down a gear from the original gearing. It did however, change the mph/revs a tiny bit. I think 100kph was lifted by 100 rpm on the tacho but getting up to high speed was noticably quicker. I am not sure how putting a smaller rear sprocket might change the 919's performance but I am sure it will be noticed. I have only done 1000 kms on the 919 and since I changed the VTR sprocket at about 2000 kms, if I do decide to try it, I will do so at about the same mileage. That gives me about 750 - 1000 kms to make up my mind. If I can't make up my mind about it, I will be more than happy with the stock gearing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode