Chain lube ??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 75 Old 10-09-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Chain lube ???

Whats the best oil/grease for ya chain , Im tryin to keep it in as good condition as possible have tryed most types and am currantly using a blue colored marine grease that is suppost to resist water and salt but find it attarcts lots of grit and other particles , tryed the thick chain lube type oil but that seems to disapear real quick even tryed silicone based spray from a can but doubt it has the required qualities for propper lubrication...... what do you guys find to be the best???? short of droping the chain in a bucket of oil every 2 days

Go HARD or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 10-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

This thread will be beat to death. That said: IMO there is one product that stands head and shoulders above the rest.

post #3 of 75 Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
This thread will be beat to death. That said: IMO there is one product that stands head and shoulders above the rest.

+1

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #4 of 75 Old 10-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Milites Gregarius

I have been using Schaeffers Dry Moly chain lube and have been very happy with it..

http://www.schaefferoil.com/specialt...hain_lube.html

Also, there are a few very good threads on BOBISTHEOILGUY forum on chain lube you might want to read....

post #5 of 75 Old 10-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Aquilifer

get drunk, go into the garage, and pee on it.

that way, the girlfriend doesn't gripe about pizz on the terlet seat, the lube is totally biodegradable, and the freak swingarm gets its golden shower.
everybody's happy !

it's an oring chain. it's lubed already. all it needs is cleaning.

i'm loved for my opinions.

post #6 of 75 Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Tirone

Loobman with 90 weight gear oil.

Kevin

post #7 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Red Rider

Quote:

What is it about the Repsol that makes it superior?

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #8 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I use baby white seal oil. It's just tough finding and clubbing them!

Seriously, Maxima Chain Wax for as long as I can remember. No complaints. As already mentioned, it's an O-ring chain ... just trying to keep the crude off the chain and from getting inside.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #9 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Loobman~85-140

[
post #10 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Tirone

What is it about the Repsol that makes it superior?

"What is it about the Repsol that makes it superior?"

yes, i love repsol. it has made my bike more enjoyable by removing several of the hassles of ownership.

it is truly amazing how sometimes there can be a product that is so clearly superior to the competition... if i was another chain lube maker, i would just give up and quit after seeing how awesome the repsol lube is. what makes it superior? basically, it is a very LIGHT oil, that STAYS IN PLACE, and is EASILY APPLIED.

all of the other chain lubes i've used are heavy, sticky, and gunky. they come out of the can in a big frothy splooge, and the only way to get complete coverage on the chain is to use way too much (and to get it all over the swingarm and rear tire while applying). wiping the chain after lubing doesn't remove all of the excess because it collects in the ports in the chain. and even though they are sticky, other lubes wear off quickly, so they must be applied frequently to keep things working right. this also means frequent cleaning to remove the sludge that builds up everywhere. i hated this part of taking care of my bike.

repsol is very light, and not at all sticky. it comes out of the can in a spray that is just extremely well aerated oil, not foam or froth. the spray is the right width to coat a chain in one pass without making a mess, and the right volume to coat completely without applying too much.

even though you can use a very light coating of the repsol lube, it stays in place for a very long time. the chain runs quietly, and doesn't rust at night. my chain lube intervals are at least twice as long with repsol (when commuting daily, i used to lube at least once a week, and by that point the chain was clicking and shifting was more difficult; i put repsol on a couple of times a month at most, and the chain is usually still fine when i apply it).

after i switched to repsol, i was able to remove my rear hugger and front sprocket cover - so little crap comes off the chain, they are not necessary (and it looks cooler without them). when i first removed the front sprocket cover, i had to clean out about 2 cups worth of old chain lube sludge. but no problems since.

i've also realized what a huge affect chain lube has on the bikes performance.

i'm not actually wheelie prone, but i do like to celebrate arriving home safely by riding up my driveway on one wheel. when i turn into the bottom of the driveway i'm in first, taching about 2500. i just crank on about 60% throttle for about 1 second before easing - no clutching, no compressing the front, no pulling up on the bars, no cheating of any type. for it to work, i need to get the front up immediately with pure torque (and some assistance from the slope of the driveway) - there isn't enough room to wait until the power comes in at higher revs, and i need to keep my speed down because the crest of the driveway is blind.

having a well-lubed chain is the difference between cruising up the driveway on one wheel, and riding up the driveway too fast but still on two wheels.

...j919

post #11 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

How's this for a thread twister...

Great! A lube review and a wheelie primer all in one! I'll be picking up a can of Repsol in the very near future.

On a different note, today was a great day. I woke up and headed out to PIR and was able to watch a couple hours of the NESBA track day. The forecast called for showers today and most were prepared for a wet event, the Portland skies cleared and left a dry track with temps in the 50's. I'm waiting to participate until I purchase my boots and leather pants, but I definitely want to get out and experience the free intro that they offer. There are a few more upcoming NESBA days this year! I saw one green 919 out today, complete with its Givi rack and totally stock. The owner was pretty large, and quickly learned about touching pegs and notched suspension.

Besides that, I got a new pair of white-grey-black Dainese gloves at my local Ducati dealer/coffee shop. Man those Sport Classics are sweet bikes.

post #12 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 06:08 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

beer, preferably dark and german

post #13 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j919 View Post
"What is it about the Repsol that makes it superior?"

yes, i love repsol. it has made my bike more enjoyable by removing several of the hassles of ownership.

it is truly amazing how sometimes there can be a product that is so clearly superior to the competition... if i was another chain lube maker, i would just give up and quit after seeing how awesome the repsol lube is. what makes it superior? basically, it is a very LIGHT oil, that STAYS IN PLACE, and is EASILY APPLIED.

all of the other chain lubes i've used are heavy, sticky, and gunky. they come out of the can in a big frothy splooge, and the only way to get complete coverage on the chain is to use way too much (and to get it all over the swingarm and rear tire while applying). wiping the chain after lubing doesn't remove all of the excess because it collects in the ports in the chain. and even though they are sticky, other lubes wear off quickly, so they must be applied frequently to keep things working right. this also means frequent cleaning to remove the sludge that builds up everywhere. i hated this part of taking care of my bike.

repsol is very light, and not at all sticky. it comes out of the can in a spray that is just extremely well aerated oil, not foam or froth. the spray is the right width to coat a chain in one pass without making a mess, and the right volume to coat completely without applying too much.

even though you can use a very light coating of the repsol lube, it stays in place for a very long time. the chain runs quietly, and doesn't rust at night. my chain lube intervals are at least twice as long with repsol (when commuting daily, i used to lube at least once a week, and by that point the chain was clicking and shifting was more difficult; i put repsol on a couple of times a month at most, and the chain is usually still fine when i apply it).

after i switched to repsol, i was able to remove my rear hugger and front sprocket cover - so little crap comes off the chain, they are not necessary (and it looks cooler without them). when i first removed the front sprocket cover, i had to clean out about 2 cups worth of old chain lube sludge. but no problems since.

i've also realized what a huge affect chain lube has on the bikes performance.

i'm not actually wheelie prone, but i do like to celebrate arriving home safely by riding up my driveway on one wheel. when i turn into the bottom of the driveway i'm in first, taching about 2500. i just crank on about 60% throttle for about 1 second before easing - no clutching, no compressing the front, no pulling up on the bars, no cheating of any type. for it to work, i need to get the front up immediately with pure torque (and some assistance from the slope of the driveway) - there isn't enough room to wait until the power comes in at higher revs, and i need to keep my speed down because the crest of the driveway is blind.

having a well-lubed chain is the difference between cruising up the driveway on one wheel, and riding up the driveway too fast but still on two wheels.

...j919

I've never heard anyone credit their chain lube for being able to wheelie easier. Thanks for the rest of the write up, I will probably try Repsol next. You should look into being their spokesperson

post #14 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 06:48 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I agree with Mike & Ken, Repsol is good stuff. I'm very picky about chain maintenance and can honestly say that the Repsol is right up there with with the best I've ever used. Try it, you'll like it!

post #15 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 07:07 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Like a good Spaten Optimator or Warsteiner Isenbeck perhaps.

post #16 of 75 Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Red Rider

Thank you j919 for the awesome write up, that is exactly what I wanted to hear!!! I just ordered me a can off E-bay and cant wait to try it out!!!!!

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #17 of 75 Old 03-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Here's another nominee:

I have been using it for the past 3 years, and have been very satisfied. The liquid carrier evaporates as soon as you apply the product. What remains resists getting dirty for a very long time. No chain issues in that time (original chain, 19,000 miles).

I will pick up some Repsol chain lube this weekend and make some comparisons.....

post #18 of 75 Old 03-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Aquilifer

that's what i've got in my clutch cable ! nice, buttery lever.

post #19 of 75 Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Shoot... another thread only for 919 chains. Let me know when we can discuss all motorcycle chains in another sub forum.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #20 of 75 Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

I use PJ1 blue label.

Both on & off Road. The best I've used to date.

I've tried the Repsol stuff. I don't care for it.

post #21 of 75 Old 03-20-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmikey View Post
I use PJ1 blue label.
Have used this on 2 bikes and now the 919. Still on my first can =] Love this stuff, goes on clear and works.

post #22 of 75 Old 03-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I spray WD40 on a long brush with short bristles and lightly scrub the chain. I do it once every few thousand miles. The chains are sealed, doodies.

I don't have any problems, and I live in crudy Wisconsin.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #23 of 75 Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Cornicen

WD40 for chain cleaning is great. I use WD40 then a chain brush then WD40 again then wipe down with a rag then brake kleen to rinse off then let sit to dry for 10 minutes then chain wax. Some people will even start the bike on a stand and let it run in gear to warm up a chain before lube is applied. Everybody has their own way of doing it.
I must have 8 cans of different lube on the shelf and do not see much difference in them other than some make a bigger mess applying than others but I like chain wax the best.

post #24 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Cornicen

budwieser & belray made in USA

post #25 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivit View Post
budwieser & belray made in USA
That will work and damn good choice might I add.

post #26 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Aquilifer

you mix them? won't that ruin the flavor of the chain lube?

post #27 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Tirone

i started off using wd40 to clean the chain - it works pretty well. when i first got my bike i was taught to put it on a rear stand and run it in first at idle, spray wd40 on the chain, and wipe with a rag as the chain is running to clean it, then spray with lube at the end and wipe off excess with a rag.

but once i realized how easy it is to pull the rear wheel, i started cleaning the chain in a pan of gasoline (after seeing it suggested by a member here). it is much more effective, and not very much more trouble. i find it takes a little longer to clean the chain this way, but i do it less frequently because i can get the chain much cleaner. and with the wheel off it is much easier to clean everything else up - saves time in the end. it takes me about 5 minutes to pull the rear wheel (including caliper), and about 10 minutes to get everything back together and alligned and adjusted properly.

btw - wd40 is really great for cleaning the rest of the bike. i think i saw that suggestion on this forum as well. i use honda spray polish on the tank, cowl, and cans - but i use wd40 on the engine, swingarm, wheels, forks, etc.

...j919

post #28 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j919 View Post
i started off using wd40 to clean the chain - it works pretty well. when i first got my bike i was taught to put it on a rear stand and run it in first at idle, spray wd40 on the chain, and wipe with a rag as the chain is running to clean it, then spray with lube at the end and wipe off excess with a rag.

but once i realized how easy it is to pull the rear wheel, i started cleaning the chain in a pan of gasoline (after seeing it suggested by a member here). it is much more effective, and not very much more trouble. i find it takes a little longer to clean the chain this way, but i do it less frequently because i can get the chain much cleaner. and with the wheel off it is much easier to clean everything else up - saves time in the end. it takes me about 5 minutes to pull the rear wheel (including caliper), and about 10 minutes to get everything back together and alligned and adjusted properly.

btw - wd40 is really great for cleaning the rest of the bike. i think i saw that suggestion on this forum as well. i use honda spray polish on the tank, cowl, and cans - but i use wd40 on the engine, swingarm, wheels, forks, etc.

...j919
I'd advise caution wiping the chain with the engine running and in-gear. It wouldn't take much for the rag to get snagged and into the sprocket it goes! Possibly pulling your fingers in for the ride. Ouch.
Also, I prefer another solvent besides gasoline. Sure, gas works to cut the grease, but has the potential to destroy the O-Rings in a sealed chain. Mineral spirits come to mind and then on to kerosene if you must.
By the way, PJ-1 for me.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #29 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

10W-40 motor oil bought at a 99 cent store and run through my Scottoiler. It consumes a quart every 15,000 miles: that's 0.007 cent a mile. Over 30,000 miles on the previous chain, until it ate a rock that broke 3 outer rollers. Damn. Up to that point, it needed adjustment only once. Plus, you can be in a little town in BFE, run out of chain oil and get a quart at any gas station instead of riding to the next big city with a dry chain to get more spray lube. That and if the chain needs cleaning, which it rarely does, just turn up the flow and ride it for a couple miles. Clean as a whistle.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #30 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Well...At least the chain is clean.

post #31 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
Also, I prefer another solvent besides gasoline. Sure, gas works to cut the grease, but has the potential to destroy the O-Rings in a sealed chain. Mineral spirits come to mind and then on to kerosene if you must.
I agree that gasoline is not great here but why mineral spirits or kerosene? I've used them many times as solvents. I use mineral spirits exclusively to disolve cosmoline that comes caked on WWII M1 Garand rifles when I begin the restoration process. I don't see why one liquid solvent wouldn't be as bad as any other. ...but I'm game to learn!

post #32 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
I agree that gasoline is not great here but why mineral spirits or kerosene? I've used them many times as solvents. I use mineral spirits exclusively to disolve cosmoline that comes caked on WWII M1 Garand rifles when I begin the restoration process. I don't see why one liquid solvent wouldn't be as bad as any other. ...but I'm game to learn!
Right, that's what I'm saying. Mineral spirits are not as harsh a solvent and doesn't contain the myriad of additives found in gasoline that can cause problems with butyl or viton O-rings. Kerosene is harsher than the mineral spirits, but if you chase it with say a WD40 then proper chain lube, you'll arrest the negative effects of the solvents.

Remember, a solvent is really a super thin "oil" that'll cut grease and wash away the grime, but can also continue to do its work on rubber or any other petroleum product so leaving it in prolonged contact with those items can cause problems.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #33 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
beer, preferably dark and german
+1

I also like honda Pro Lube but it's not nearly as tasty.

post #34 of 75 Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:

Mike just uses this because Nicky Hayden uses it.

post #35 of 75 Old 07-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Here's another nominee:

I have been using it for the past 3 years, and have been very satisfied. The liquid carrier evaporates as soon as you apply the product. What remains resists getting dirty for a very long time. No chain issues in that time (original chain, 19,000 miles).

I will pick up some Repsol chain lube this weekend and make some comparisons.....
I have been using this stuff for about my last 4 or 5 chain lubes....so far it works great. Dries quick to a waxy film, so no fling, doesnt attract dirt, and lasts a long time. Best of all 11 oz can at Lowes is just under $5

Pretty good review from Web-Bike World

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

post #36 of 75 Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

More reasons to go to lowes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have been using this stuff for about my last 4 or 5 chain lubes....so far it works great. Dries quick to a waxy film, so no fling, doesnt attract dirt, and lasts a long time. Best of all 11 oz can at Lowes is just under $5

Pretty good review from Web-Bike World

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm
Another convert here. I picked up a can recently to try out. As stated it has great application characteristics. I have no long term observations as of yet.

post #37 of 75 Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 AM

I've been using Dupont Multi-Purpose Lube. Goes on like a wax with little residue.

I wipe the chain with citris cleaner and lube every weekend - this stuff seems to work pretty well.

post #38 of 75 Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM

I normally use Kettenspray (sp) but bought a can of the honda lube when I put new chain and sprockets on. much prefer the kettenspray as the honda stuff doesn't seem to stand out, the chain looks dry all the time and hte rollers dry and polished, where as the kettenspray made the rollers grey. Was easy to see when more was needed.

post #39 of 75 Old 08-02-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Another convert here. I picked up a can recently to try out. As stated it has great application characteristics. I have no long term observations as of yet.
same here. i bought it couple of weeks ago and it works nicely. i put on little less than 1000 miles and am satisfied.

post #40 of 75 Old 08-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

I also use repsol and as a result I'm better lover my manhood grew and now chics seem to dig me more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode