Chain and Sprocket combo - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Newfie

Chain and Sprocket combo

I haven't posted here in a long time but just wanted to chime in. I am up to 43k miles on my 06 and I am looking to get another chain/sprockets for the 9'r. Anyone have a stock setup brand they are kinda partial too? I was kinda looking on the not so expensive side if it is reasonably feasable. I think the chains 114 links and correct me, but are the sprockets 16t and 45t?? All input is appreciated. BTW I will be going out to buy them saturday and will be installing them myself. Any tips there would also be grateful.

P.S. I have a rear stand,Tools, and towels... (for the bloody knuckles probably)

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Le So Cal Troll

think stock is 16 43. I am partial to a DID chain and renthal sprockets.

as far as install tips it should be pretty straight forward. Ull need to take the rear tire off to get the sprocket off of the hub. and the front ull need to remove the cover and the center bolt. I would suggest to remove the front center bole before you take the rear off and to put the bike in first gear. if you start turning the motor over when trying to remove the center bolt either hold the rear break, or put something through the wheel that rests on the swing arm so the wheel cant spin.

Also, at 43k miles what other stuff have you done as far as maintenance if any? Valves still where they should be? im just curious.

post #3 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I bought these and installed them 16/43

Sprocket Center

+1 on loosening the front sprocket bolt before taking the old chain off, and a broom stick handle thru the rear wheel worked great.

You will also need a chain riveting tool.

Good luck!

post #4 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Optio

I'm running 17-44 and very happy with it. Free speedo healer (almost), less highway buzz, and acceleration only barely affected, if at all.

post #5 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 PM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I bought these and installed them 16/43

Sprocket Center

+1 on loosening the front sprocket bolt before taking the old chain off, and a broom stick handle thru the rear wheel worked great.

You will also need a chain riveting tool.

Good luck!
I second the sprocket center site. Got mine the other day and put on. Great stuff. The owner, Chris, even called me to let me know my order was on it's way out.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Le So Cal Troll

not to hijack but anyone know of anywhere to get a cheap 15t... always wanted to do some hooligan play.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Whitty comment here

i have found this calculator to be helpful. since you are gonna have them off, may as well change the tooth numbers. this will show you rpm's and speeds with your new sprocket set up. Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Gearing Ratio Sprocket RPM Speed Chain Calculator

i dont remember if its got 919 in the database, but im sure somebody on the site could fill in the numbers.

post #8 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Newfie

Thanks for the info. I will look into getting my parts from Sprocket center

What do I need the chain riveting tool for? I thought it comes as a whole connected chain. I haven't done it before is why I ask...

post #9 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

I have a gearing calculator on my 919.org site that is specific to the 919

http://www.919.org/host/919gear.xls

post #10 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Newfie

I have had all work done by the dealership until 36k miles. So I am not sure if they had to do any adjusting of the valves..

post #11 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 12:35 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb63 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will look into getting my parts from Sprocket center

What do I need the chain riveting tool for? I thought it comes as a whole connected chain. I haven't done it before is why I ask...
The chain has to be connected around the swingarm pivot point.

I suggest the Motion Pro Jumbo Chain tool it both breaks & peens the chain, is easy to use, just the right size for a hand tool & is moderately priced at around $115-$130 shipped. They are available from any Parts Unlimited dealer. If that is not an option for you then holler at me and I will get you hooked up.

post #12 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Le So Cal Troll

a simple wheel grinder and a chain breaker is really all you need. You could run a clip type master link. Or a rivet, I have used both and currently run a rivet type on my dirbike... Used a simple plate press tool (10 bucks) to get it all lined up right, then rested the chain against a big sledge hammer while i mushroomed out the rivets with a smaller hammer... have had 0 probs... no need for a fancy ass 120 dollar tool.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Don't start this shit again...

DO NOT RUN A CLIP-TYPE MASTER LINK ON YOUR STREETBIKE!

That's just dumb period.

There is a right way & a wrong way to do things. Taking shortcuts with something as important as your drive chain can result in serious damage to your engine casing, an accident an even personal injury and that is all providing you don't involve anyone else when it all goes bad.

post #14 of 16 Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Newfie

Thanks all for the advice. Especially the broom example for loosening the front sprocket bolt. I put my 9'r on the stand and had my wife sit on it to no avail... then I just tossed my rake into the rear tire above the swingarm and voila! 40 minutes later and I was done. I bought the stock RK chain and sprocket 16/43 setup. I also bought the Motion Pro tool break/speen kit. A W E S O M E. It made it soooo easy to do. Instead of paying in between $375-$492 for a new set installed, I payed $173 shipped. The next chain will be a D.I.D though I think..

I have a few projects left to tackle before I cover the maintenance required for this machine.

1. Spark plugs... hopefully getting the #3 tool.

2. Changing the radiator fluid

3. Checking the valve clearances.

The valve one got me a little nervous.. I don't wanna mess up my niner and I don't want to pay $350 plus for someone to do it for me... Any help would be mucho appreciated. Pics would help too if there are any.

post #15 of 16 Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I use an impact gun on the counter shaft sprocket bolt. Takes 2 seconds to take it off or put it on...

post #16 of 16 Old 03-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb63 View Post
Thanks all for the advice. Especially the broom example for loosening the front sprocket bolt. I put my 9'r on the stand and had my wife sit on it to no avail... then I just tossed my rake into the rear tire above the swingarm and voila! 40 minutes later and I was done. I bought the stock RK chain and sprocket 16/43 setup. I also bought the Motion Pro tool break/speen kit. A W E S O M E. It made it soooo easy to do. Instead of paying in between $375-$492 for a new set installed, I payed $173 shipped. The next chain will be a D.I.D though I think..

I have a few projects left to tackle before I cover the maintenance required for this machine.

1. Spark plugs... hopefully getting the #3 tool.

2. Changing the radiator fluid

3. Checking the valve clearances.

The valve one got me a little nervous.. I don't wanna mess up my niner and I don't want to pay $350 plus for someone to do it for me... Any help would be mucho appreciated. Pics would help too if there are any.
1. Definitely get the tool. I did it without and it sucked.

2.,3. Do these at the same time. You will want to remove some of the coolant hoses to get the valve cover off, so you need to at least partially drain the coolant. Get someone to help with the valve clearance check. The extra set of hands will help when getting the cover on and off. Basspiece and I did both of our bikes in a couple of hours and neither had done it before.

Here's a really good thread that Sokali wrote up a while back.

Valve Clearance Checks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode