Chain adjustment?????? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 07-12-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Chain adjustment??????

The chain on my 919 seems to get outta OEM adjustment guidelines very quickly. I have 'bout 6000 miles on the chain with OEM gears and make adjustments with the bike on a rear stand and adjust it to 1'3/8 inch slack and use a torque wrench. 'Bout a week later 250-300 miles it has 'bout 2 inches of slack. Is this unusual? What I should expect? I'm somewhat aggressive in my riding style coming outta turns etc but seldom come off the line hard.

Any tip or suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Discen

stock one of the main things i realized was that the 919 didn't appear to have much adjustment. I have heard it should have 1 or 2 links less in the chain.

I just turned over 5000 miles and I am not even in the middle of the green zone. I will have to confirm tomorrow on that. What type of life did your chain live thus far...cleaning and lubing wise?

I use kerosene every 1k miles, fully clean the chain and every tank I use a wax to lube it.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

The chain length depends on the year bike 02 had a short swingarm (I think) anyway try adjusting in the other direction. If normally you adjust tightening try loosening. Oh yeah I dont think kerosene and rubber go good together!

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

did my chain today, and im half a notch out of the green zone at 19,000 miles, but I also went down a tooth on my front sprocket

post #5 of 10 Old 07-13-2008, 04:12 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

My 07 has about 9500 miles and I'm still in the middle of the green zone. I lube and check it probably every 500 miles, and torque the axle nut to 69 ft-lbs. Is it possible that something is moving in the torquing process...do you re-check it after torquing?..and when you recheck it and it's 2" slack, is it on the rearstand as before? Whatever it is, doesn't sound right.

Good luck!

post #6 of 10 Old 07-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Centurion

I noticed mine moving as I tighten everything up so recheck after your done to make sure its still OK.

post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The stock 9er chain is, while technically what was delivered with the bike, too long IMO. I can't adjust to spec without the chain hitting the bottom chain guide with a standard length chain. I think it also lends itself to a lot of "snap" when releasing the clutch lever.

I went two links off the recommended length and had much better wear, easier adjustments, etc. This also shortens up the wheelbase which makes the bike turn better and seems to get rid of some of the pogo effect.

The manual says to adjust the chain with the bike on the sidestand and in neutral. Why don't you try adjusting it that way once and then recheck with the same method? Either the axle is moving on you or you're wearing out a chain/sprockets. Do you lube it on a regular basis?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
The manual says to adjust the chain with the bike on the sidestand and in neutral.
Thanks for all the replies. I rechecked the slack in the chain after putting it back up on the rear stand and it has only move 1/8th inch in that position. Maybe, I should re-read the instructions again (owners manual) LoL! I missed that part about being in neutral and on the side stand. DuH!!!!!

I lube the chain frequently ...well within 500 miles unless I ride in wet conditions (which has been all to frequent this year). I'm still well into the green zone but was concerned with the frequency of adjustment.

All is good .... LOVE this bike!

post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I rechecked the slack in the chain after putting it back up on the rear stand and it has only move 1/8th inch in that position. Maybe, I should re-read the instructions again (owners manual) LoL! I missed that part about being in neutral and on the side stand. DuH!!!!!

I lube the chain frequently ...well within 500 miles unless I ride in wet conditions (which has been all to frequent this year). I'm still well into the green zone but was concerned with the frequency of adjustment.

All is good .... LOVE this bike!
Quite suprisingly the direction you're rolling the bike before you set it up to check it this way can cause a lot of difference in the readings.

I've found that rolling the bike forward can produce a different reading then when rolling the bike backward. Somewhere in between is ideal. It's a judgement of driveline slop.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 10 Old 07-16-2008, 03:20 PM
No life like low life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Quite suprisingly the direction you're rolling the bike before you set it up to check it this way can cause a lot of difference in the readings.
Ive also heard that chains usually have a tight spot. I have not checked mine THAT close, but I have never noticed a tight spot. I try to take pretty good care of my chain, cleaning and lubing it regularly also. Is it possible that the chain could have a tight spot in it, and maybe you get two different readings when the chain is in two different spots in its rotation? Just an idea.

Knees in the breeze!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode