Center Stand Issues - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Unhappy Center Stand Issues

I've got two center stand issues relating to the Honda 919 center stand kit I recently installed on my '06. The 1st one is kinda embarrissing but I can't figure out where to lift the bike in back. I guess I don't have the weight on me to push down on the stand while rolling it back using the handlebars & I've tried using the passanger foot peg bracket but that's awkward at best. Obviously there is no grab rail.

The 2nd is more serious. After taking apart the exhaust pipe as per the instructions, installing the stand (no problems there) & torquing all the bolts to spec I didn't ride the bike for a couple of days (I used a good quality grease to ease the pipe up into the 'y' flange & it went in completely). When I rode it yesterday there was a notable ticking towards the front of the motor like an exhaust valve out of whack which eventually diminished as I rode but is still there. Any idea's? Thanks DAS

"Too much is just enough 'cuz there's always room for one more"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Follow Up

I've been reading over some of the other posts & I guess the ticking noise is normal although why I didn't notice it before I put on the center stand I'll never know. As to the other embarrassing issue, I was just out on my bike & I stood on the center stand lever after centering the bike on the two legs & pushed down while pulling up on the grab rail in back & handlebars in front. It worked & I guess I'll get the hang of it but I'm still wondering if anybody out there has any other suggestions. DAS

post #3 of 10 Old 10-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Tesserarius

PHOBSTAND???!!!!!

post #4 of 10 Old 10-31-2007, 08:30 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I don't have a center stand, but I do have PHOBMAN's stand and I since my current 919 has no grab rail in back I place my left hand under the right slip on right where the bracket is and lift while stepping down on the stand, right hand on handlebars. Same hand position and rock it forward to get it off the stand. Works fine for me and since my slip ons are carbon fiber they're never very hot.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #5 of 10 Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
2006 919

center stand blues

best way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDNqCMNau9A

post #6 of 10 Old 10-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Assuming we're not talking about the typical injector noise below 3,500 RPM, it certainly sounds like a misaligned header or one of the flange ring gaskets was damaged on installation. The first thing I do in this situation is to loosen every exhaust system fastener and retighten starting at the engine and working back. Be sure to keep everything moving as you go -- it will seek its own alignment if you let it. This will usually take care of it, but if not, then you'll have to go deeper into things.
When putting a bike on a centerstand you are simultaneously pushing down on the stand's foot while picking up the back of the bike, requiring some sort of handle in the proper position. Unless you happen to be over seven feet tall, the grab rail behind the seat is far too high to offer sufficient leverage, so the only alternative is the passenger peg: too low, but at least it gives better leverage than the grab rail. Ya gets used to it. Before my right knee operation, the side stand was used so rarely I was considering removing it and its frame lug. Thank Thor I didn't!
Good luck.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 10 Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Guess I should've posted that PHOBMAN's stand is leveraged from the right side of the bike, opposite the stock kickstand.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
but I do have PHOBMAN's stand
+1

Me too, and it's so easy, a cager could even do it.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #9 of 10 Old 11-01-2007, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

thanks guys! I checked out that youtube video. That's kinda what I ended up doing but with a lot less finess. I'll get the hang of it. das

post #10 of 10 Old 11-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Trick on lifting is first square up the bike to the stand with the HB straight and bike veritical standing on the left side for right handers. You must be very careful not to let it lean awaaaaaay from you. Swiftly pull up the passenger strut with the right hand while pushing down on the stand with your foot. If I have a lot of gear in the top box it is more challenging to lift with the negative leverage. Lifting it in sand with nylon pucks under the stand sides is difficult.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode