cb919 fork oil? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LDH

post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2018, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

cb919 fork oil?

ive got a 2003 cb919. one of my fork seals is leaking so its time to change them before spring really gets rolling just wondering what weight fork oil people are running in these bikes. the forks are a little soft so i was thinking of a heavier oil to stiffen it up just a little but im not sure what weight originally came in them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2018, 10:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...10w-47665.html

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #3 of 7 Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 AM
GLG-20

Garage
If I remember correctly, the OEM spec is 10w fork oil. Maxima racing fork oil is what I generally use. You're right in that your fork oil is likely shot and really not doing the job anymore. If you want additional improvement in feel, you should change the fork springs while you have everything apart. Stockers tend to be too light for a lot of people. You can get springs for right around $100 (+/-). Using your weight while wearing your gear, there are calculators available (the racetech site has one) to determine the spring rate you need.
If you decide to change the springs, there are multiple threads here that cover it, but if you were to get hung up on anything there are folks here that can guide you.

I expect others will chime in here as well.

Edit:. I'm slow. Was typing when Badmoon responded.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #4 of 7 Old 03-29-2018, 04:47 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Jason View Post
ive got a 2003 cb919. one of my fork seals is leaking so its time to change them before spring really gets rolling just wondering what weight fork oil people are running in these bikes. the forks are a little soft so i was thinking of a heavier oil to stiffen it up just a little but im not sure what weight originally came in them.
I did mine last year because of seals leaking. What I found was mush because water got into the oil. I went with stock OEM oil 10wt and it really made a difference.

I'm not sure how often people change the fork oil, but it does wear out. The forks on the 919 are not known for how great they are, there's a number of upgrade, but I would start with a full cleanup and change the seals and oil back to stock and see how you like it.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-30-2018, 03:47 PM
The Cripple

Before you change the seals, try to clean the seal. More often than not they're just dirty and letting oil pass.

post #6 of 7 Old 04-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Before you change the seals, try to clean the seal. More often than not they're just dirty and letting oil pass.
I agree. The fork seals on my zx9r leaked pretty bad when I got it but after cleaning them out good with a Seal Mate they stopped leaking and were still leak free 3000kms later when I sold it. Even if that works I would still change the fork oil, its the kind of maintenance that often never gets done enough.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #7 of 7 Old 04-04-2018, 09:14 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Send the forks to me. You won't believe they are the same forks when you get them back
firedave likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode