cb919 , cb599 the differences.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2006, 12:04 AM
saswu18

cb919 , cb599 the differences....

well... as the topic says

just wondering has anyone compared the difference between 2 bikes? I'm not looking for some "obvious" or "silly" answers such as "the name", "engine size", "color" or "26 lb dry weight"....etc

I really like the look of 919 or 599, but havn't really get a chance ride a 599..
I rode 919 once(5 mins only at slow speed), didn't really throttle at all due to I just "Test drive" in front of the owner and see if he wanna trade with my f4i. the trade didn't go through... so ... still looking for one

I really like naked bikes as previously i had a 1997 ducati monster 750, which i really liked the looks and comfy riding position but didn't care that noisy v-twin.

from what I been read at this site, i believe that 919 will have more than enough power for me, but how about a 599??? will they handle alike, how much different at top end speed? will a 599 be much worthless becoz without fuel injected?

I'm sure if I can find a decent 919 with good price ,I will grab right away, but if the 599 is not so much less... then maybe i can save myself some $$

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2006, 05:36 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

If you are not looking for the "obvious" or "silly" answers why are you asking about top end speed? Either of the bikes will get you in trouble with the law and in over your head if pushed beyond your abilities.

That said; Most of the naked bike members here own 919's, I believe MontrealMax is are only resident 599 member. Max has ridden with me and he has no trouble keeping up. Max rides the wheels off of his 599 in the twisties and also uses it for long distance touring.

Fi vs. Carburetors: Each one has it's pros and cons. I would not call a carb. fitted bike worthless, it will never leave you stranded like a Fi model with a failed ECU. I'm not getting into a long explanation on this subject, just Google the subject and draw your own conclusions.

Bottom line is buy whatever floats your boat. Neither one will disappoint!

Welcome to our community!

post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2006, 06:15 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Welcome to the board!

The 599, or Hornet 600 overseas, is much more popular outside the US. It has a much peakier engine, from what the Brits have told me. The 919 has crazy torque all over the place, you can pretty much cruise town in 5th if you want. The 599 needs you to wind it out a bit in order to get some juice through the rear. Lots of the Hornet 600 riders who have tried a Hornet 900 (919) said it was boring since there is no top-end rush like they get on the 599. Me, I'll take smooth, even torque over the top-end hit any day of the week.

In my opinion, the 919 also looks like it is better put together. If you compare the two closely, the 599 just looks cheaper than the 919. That's just my opinion. And I am completely unbiased.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention mileage, the 599 does waaay better at the pump, in my experience. I only get about 35 mpg.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #4 of 8 Old 05-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Insurance cost is another thing to consider, if you are so inclined.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 8 Old 05-26-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim
Insurance cost is another thing to consider, if you are so inclined.
One of the reasons I decided on the 919 was the insurance cost. Granted, I wasn't looking at anything below 900cc, but out of every naked bike on the market the 919 was the cheapest. And by a good 300 bucks a year.

(I didn't bother to look into the FZ... because its ugly.) The Suzuki SV1000 was also affordable on insurance but again the 919 smacked it down by a good 500 bucks.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonomics

(I didn't bother to look into the FZ... because its ugly.)
You, my friend, have great timing.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 8 Old 05-26-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I couldn't resist.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode