cb600 cosmetic parts for cb900?? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

cb600 cosmetic parts for cb900??

I own a 2005 cb900f. Sadly, I had a crash this summer fortunately I am ok cosmetic damage only to the bike. Anyways, I am looking for a new fuel tank. I found one however, it fits a 2006 cb600. Will it work?

Will a seat cowl for cb600 work? Also found used

Last question (for now) I found a 'hornet' radiator cover on ebay it states its for a cb600 this should fit the 919, right?

Thanks for any help peeps may offer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate 'get-off.' The 600 and the 919 are two completely different animals. This means nothing is interchangeable.

Welcome aboard...

post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate 'get-off.' The 600 and the 919 are two completely different animals. This means nothing is interchangeable.

Welcome aboard...

Thanks for your empathy and kind welcome! The two bikes "look" so similar. Are the mounts in different locations?

Well I guess its back to the search. I dont want to pay Honda >$500 for a fuel tank if I am able to find one used. I simply cant stand the dent in mine. Its funny how cosmetic damage to the bike makes my riding seem less fun

I was lucky and found a headlight replacement used.

Sorry to ask another question and one especially off topic but my left bar end bent (bar is straight though) the scrape made the philips screw well stripped any ideas to help me get it off?

Again thanks for the advice/help!

dd

post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Sorry to ask another question and one especially off topic but my left bar end bent (bar is straight though) the scrape made the philips screw well stripped any ideas to help me get it off?
Try an easy-out first. If you have a buddy who can weld, weld a piece of metal onto the screw and back it out using a pair of vice grips clamped onto the chunk of metal. If that doesn't work, you can try drilling it out using a bit very close to the size of the original bolt (this is the last-ditch effort, try the other things first).

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #5 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Might also try a impact driver. Give it a good wack or two. If all else fails the complete anti-vibe assembly can be removed. It should make the bar end easier to replace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo1.JPG (39.7 KB, 20 views)

post #6 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd13 View Post
Well I guess its back to the search. I dont want to pay Honda >$500 for a fuel tank if I am able to find one used. I simply cant stand the dent in mine. Its funny how cosmetic damage to the bike makes my riding seem less fun
Service Honda has tanks for four-hundred something: http://www.servicehonda.com/index.html

Otherwise you could do what I did. I used body putty and just spray painted the tank, it doesn't look perfect but it is way better than a huge dent, you have to be really close to the bike to notice something is effed up. We did a pretty ghetto, quick job, but it is a really cheap way to hide damage.

Here is the tank before we "fixed" it:

Here's after, damage is barely noticeable:

post #7 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
Service Honda has tanks for four-hundred something: http://www.servicehonda.com/index.html

Otherwise you could do what I did. I used body putty and just spray painted the tank, it doesn't look perfect but it is way better than a huge dent, you have to be really close to the bike to notice something is effed up. We did a pretty ghetto, quick job, but it is a really cheap way to hide damage.
wow looks pretty good. thanks for sharing. Your tank damage looks just like mine almost same spot that is for sure.

I was at the honda dealership today and they stated if there is any damage an insurance adjuster simply replaces the part. The dealerships throw old parts in the dumpster. I am not going dumpster digging however, I thought that I might go around to a few dealerships and see what they have as far as 919 tanks go.
In the meantime though I may try the body putty. I must admit I am not much of an artist. I have never attempted any body work on any of my toys. This might be a good project to at least hide the dent.

Did you simply sand down your tank, fill the dent and spray it?

Again, thanks!

dd

post #8 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd13 View Post
wow looks pretty good. thanks for sharing. Your tank damage looks just like mine almost same spot that is for sure.

I was at the honda dealership today and they stated if there is any damage an insurance adjuster simply replaces the part. The dealerships throw old parts in the dumpster. I am not going dumpster digging however, I thought that I might go around to a few dealerships and see what they have as far as 919 tanks go.
In the meantime though I may try the body putty. I must admit I am not much of an artist. I have never attempted any body work on any of my toys. This might be a good project to at least hide the dent.

Did you simply sand down your tank, fill the dent and spray it?

Again, thanks!

dd
Yeah, we sanded it down, filled the dent, sanded again, filled again, then sanded again. I sprayed my tank with ultra flat black spray paint, but semi-flat black would probably match better (if you have a matte black 919). The paint isn't very durable though, it scratches easily. I don't really care that much since my 919 is pretty ghetto anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode